Alpaca

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihavenoideawhattoput

Reaction score
Anyone have any?

Know anyone with any?

Ever thought about getting any?

Been on our mind since we visited an Alpaca farm to hunt some hogs, now it seems like it is stuck in our minds.

If you know any info, give me the good the bad and the ugly.

nathanielrthomas said:
Here's the ugly. Havent found any good yet.

First of all that's a pretty ugly creature.

I did a little more research...

Dr. Suess Alpaca
drsuessalpaca.jpg

Another Dr. Suess
drsuessalpaca2.jpg

Alpacas in sports

Surfing...
surfingalpaca.jpg

and football
alpacatackle-1.jpg

An alpaca / otter hybrid
alpacaxottercross.jpg

One needing dental work
alpacewithunderbite.jpg

And last but certainly not least, a group of alpacas waiting for the liquor store to open.
alpacaswaitingfortheliquorstoretoopen.jpg

Someone just down the road from me has a half dozen of what are either alpacas or llamas. I don't know enough about them to know the difference between the two on sight.

I have no idea what they use them for other than keeping about 2 acres next to their house grazed down.

There are some local folks that have a herd of camels as well. That's what you should be going for. Bigger is always better and you can rent them out at Christmas to the area living nativity scenes. :mrgreen:

Quackrstackr said:
There are some local folks that have a herd of camels as well. That's what you should be going for. Bigger is always better and you can rent them out at Christmas to the area living nativity scenes. :mrgreen:

Not to mention rentals if global warming turns your area into a desert. I think I read once that there had been an effort (maybe by the U.S.Army) to use camels in the American Southwest instead of horses. I can't believe there aren't any running around there somewhere.

One reason to keep alpaca is their fleece (wool) is used to make yarn. It makes high-grade, warm wool that is softer than sheep's wool.

This is from Wikipedia:

Alpaca
Conservation status: Domesticated
Scientific classification:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Camelidae
Genus: Vicugna
Species: V. pacos
Binomial name
Vicugna pacos

Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) is a domesticated species of South American camelid. It resembles a small llama in appearance.

Alpacas are kept in herds that graze on the level heights of the Andes of southern Peru, northern Bolivia, Ecuador, and northern Chile at an altitude of 3,500 m (11,500 ft) to 5,000 m (16,000 ft) above sea-level, throughout the year.[1] Alpacas are considerably smaller than llamas, and unlike llamas, alpacas were not bred to be beasts of burden but were bred specifically for their fiber. Alpaca fiber is used for making knitted and woven items, much as wool is. These items include blankets, sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, a wide variety of textiles and ponchos in South America, and sweaters, socks, coats and bedding in other parts of the world. The fiber comes in more than 52 natural colors as classified in Peru, 12 as classified in Australia and 16 as classified in the United States.[2]

In the textile industry, "alpaca" primarily refers to the hair of Peruvian alpacas, but more broadly it refers to a style of fabric originally made from alpaca hair but now often made from similar fibers, such as mohair, Icelandic sheep wool, or even high-quality English wool. In trade, distinctions are made between alpacas and the several styles of mohair and luster.

Unfortunatly, they don't come in PLAID.

We will get a couple for their fleece first and then move upto breeding for our selves so we don't have to buy them.

The fleece is sold by the ounce. You sheer them once a year.

Latest posts