7.80 mph pace over one mile.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbw

Reaction score
So I've been running since Jan 1, group of us at work want to run a 3 mile race in Mid March.

I've been doing this training of walking 1/2 mile then run all out 1 mile and then walk 1/2 training every day.

Today I went all out turning a 7.80 minute mile! :shock:

Edit: notice my last post... The machine averaged my pace of the mile at 7.8 mph

pbw said:
So I've been running since Jan 1, group of us at work want to run a 3 mile race in Mid March.

I've been doing this training of walking 1/2 mile then run all out 1 mile and then walk 1/2 training every day.

That is great but something to think about, if you run a moderate pace (9 minutes a mile) the entire time instead of walking and running all out mile you will actually go farther using less energy and it will make your endurance soar.

So in a sense instead of running/walking 2 miles you could and will run 3 to 4 miles in one shot. You need to take days off also. If not your body will level off with the milage making it harder and harder doing what you are doing.

i.e. Monday 2 miles (9 mins a mile)
Tuesday 1 mile (all out: 7:30 to 8 min)
Wednesday 3 miles (9 to 9:30 min a mile)
Thursday OFF
Friday 4 miles (9 to 9:30 min a mile)
Saturday 5 (9:30 to 10 min a mile)
Sunday OFF

Total 15 miles with rest and better quality runs as compared to you 14 miles a week of "speed" training.

Do this for 2 weeks then each following week add an extra mile to all days but the Tuesday mile run. Going no more than 8 miles on Sunday and 6 miles on Friday.

By March a 3 mile or 5K will be nothing and you will average 7 minutes a mile for it. 21 minutes for 3 mile 21:45 for 5K.

Just some thoughts

I no longer run (knees won't take it), but, back in '84 I did our required (Navy) 1.5 mile run in 9:10 :) . I spent quite awhile working up to it and running at lunch with some Navy Salvage Divers off the ship. Those guys had no sense of humor when it came to me keeping up with them. They pushed me pretty good and it paid-off. :)

pbw said:

Wait was walking this morning I did this wrong my average pace of the mile was 7.8mph

Fishin NJ said:
PBW you thinking about getting a nike + set up? Join us in running. Its cool getting real time data on yourself and getting to see the graphs etc, set goals and all the other cool things with it. :?: :?:

I don't have a IPOD :eek:

My wife has two but one is in her car always and takes the other to work etc :eek:

Latest posts