Where a kill switch lanyard would have helped

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadmeat

Reaction score
Here's another story about an incident where a kill switch lanyard being hooked up would have helped:

https://www.ajc.com/news/runaway-boat-runs-over-612941.html

I can honestly say I haven't. When my boat is moving my lifejacket is on and the lanyard is hooked up. Call me paranoid but I guess it comes from having worked in a morgue and seeing many accidents that could have been easily prevented with so little effort.

Stories like this one is a great reminder for all of us wear a PFD and hook up the kill switch when running the big motor. I too am guilty of not doing so on short and slow runs.

I never did until I hit some shallows (rocks) at night in the dark. Scared the crap out of me! :shock: I always wear my PFD unless I'm trolling or on big lakes where the water is crowded and lots of waves present.

I think a scoop of brains might have helped as well:

Two boats collided, causing one of the drivers to go overboard while the boat was still running, according to the report. He was rescued by friends and suffered only cuts.

The driver in the other boat climbed onto a Jet Ski nearby and attempted to jump into the boat, but fell into the water, witnesses told the newspaper. That man, Stoddard Jeffers of Stone Mountain, was hit and run over by the boat and was later flown to Atlanta Medical Center.

The runaway boat hit a dock several times before coming to stop, the newspaper reported.

Jumping from a jet ski into a moving boat does not seem all that smart

Latest posts