What is this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
8) :LOL2:

scrapple.jpg

Have you ever eaten it? :mrgreen:

Anonymous quote when asked if he tried it:

"I tried it in Penn.

I got rid of it in Penn, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

At about every rest area and travel plaza along the way.

NASTY stuff"

https://www.truckstopusa.com/forums/showthread.php?30400-Scrapple-so-yummy&p=316518

Heard of it before but will never try it. To many good parts of an animal to eat than the head, in my opinion. :LOL2:

Will never try the hog head souse or head cheese either!!!!

SCRAPPLE!!! You MUST try this stuff! It's awesome!

Generally speaking, there are many different versions, different types, etc. I first learned about it from the Food Network (cable TV) and chatted with my buddy about it. His mom, originally from Ohio and the descendant of immigrant German farmers, had a basic recipe made from cornmeal, onions, and pork neck bones, period. She taught us how to make it, and with that knowledge (and the power of the internet) we made a more traditional Baltimore recipe (looked like your pic above) that was fundamentally the same (cornmeal, onions, and pork neck bones) but with a 50:50 mix of cornmeal/buckwheat flour and a ton of spices (black pepper, white pepper, mace, savory, sage, etc.).

As it was stuff he ate as a kid, he preferred his mom's recipe, but the guys we fed it to in our bunch of old high school buddies that regularly camp, fish and hang out together, the preferred recipe was the 'gourmet' Baltimore recipe. My wife's tried it, but doesn't care for it that much. My boy and I scarf it down and crave it a couple of times a year. It's a breakfast staple when either the boys and I or the family and I go camping. After you make a loaf (or several), refrigerate it overnight, flop it out of the loaf pan, you slice it up (it cooks different whether you cut it thick or thin), fry it up in bacon grease (butter works, but it's not the same, margarine is a waste of time) using a cast iron pan.

If you like hush puppies and bacon, I don't see how you couldn't like scrapple! =P~

It truly is 'poor people food', being made from cheap ingredients and the cheapest parts of the pig; "offal" which is organ meat. I've made it with pork kidney (no good; boiled and food-processed kidney smells like what it is...a piss filter :shock:...sorry gent's, but it's truly the best description for the smell :sick:), would like to make it with pork liver just to see how it is, but prefer to make it with pork neck bones, ham, and/or bacon.

I'm tellin' ya guys, it's D-LISH!

I've got a few slices in the freezer that I'll fry up for my son and I tomorrow for breakfast. I'll post ya'll a picture of the cornmeal-only stuff, it looks totally different...it's yellow with chunks of meat, browned to a nice crisp in the bacon grease/cast iron.

If ya'll are interested, I'll share my recipes so ya'll can try some of the GOOD STUFF! :wink:

Grits are about as appetizing to a northerner as Scrapple is to those who do not hail from the Mid-Atlantic region. A tasteless pile of white crap on your breakfast plate.

Regional delicacies are just that... regional. Anyone who has ever eaten Barbque in different areas knows that. What is food for the gods in one area is slop for the hogs in another.

Open your mind and eat what you like. :roll:

https://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html#axzz10Ah9yQsf

If you guys noticed I ate no parts of that thing :LOL2: yes, I said Thing :LOL2: :LOL2:

DocWatson said:
Grits are about as appetizing to a northerner as Scrapple is to those who do not hail from the Mid-Atlantic region. A tasteless pile of white crap on your breakfast plate.

Regional delicacies are just that... regional. Anyone who has ever eaten Barbque in different areas knows that. What is food for the gods in one area is slop for the hogs in another.

Open your mind and eat what you like. :roll:

https://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html#axzz10Ah9yQsf

Did you have a piece of scrapple gone bad this morning, Doc? :lol:

Put some syrup on that thing and eat it. Used the eat Hogmaw (not speeled right) all the time. Good stuff, especially in the wintertime after splitting or hauling wood all day.

Jamie

Joshua loved the stuff, I think he liked the ice cubes better :LOL2:

I'm glad Mr. Jim tried only a little piece, he didnt look too happy :LOL2:

As for me, "I'll Pass" (Not Mr. Jims Way)

Ok..kinda sorta off topic but way back when I was a kid I heard tell of old people making goats head soup....nothing like lifting the lid of a pot on the stove and see a goats head staring at you...supposedly happened to my lady when she was little.....

Here in Wisconsin I ever heard of whatever the picture is and most likely will never eat it...

Outdoorsman.

Outdoorsman said:
Ok..kinda sorta off topic but way back when I was a kid I heard tell of old people making goats head soup....nothing like lifting the lid of a pot on the stove and see a goats head staring at you...supposedly happened to my lady when she was little.....

Here in Wisconsin I ever heard of whatever the picture is and most likely will never eat it...

Outdoorsman.

I can't speak to that but when I was in Bosnia I was offered smoked goat innards. To avoid offending my host I ate them. I can assure you the innards I ate came from a whole lot closer to the back end of the goat than the front end. It was one of those rare things that even Bear Grylls would have puked over.

Latest posts