Anther video why not to anchor by the stern, dramatic rescue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
All along I'm just thinking cut the line but who knows what was downstream...

https://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/raw-video-dramatic-rescue-from-sinking-boat-22004631

Jamie

Whew! Talk about getting rescued in the nick of time. I've worked quite a bit around the Sava River especially near Belgrade, and when it rains heavily for a few days the current is really ripping.

That would have been a little too close for comfort for me. I wonder what he was doing out there to start with, It looks like that water was ragin.

Didn't look like he wanted to go at first.
Good thing he did in the end.

Man that thing went down quick! Dunno though, the way the camera frame changes I wonder if it did go down that fast, or if their was a little time that was cut out of the video. It seems that it was afloat and not sinking that fast when the rescuer got on the boat, then the camera cuts away, then the stern is already going under. Either way, nice rescue and glad it wasn't my 12' tin on that raging river!

Oh, so this sparks a question....

So I shouldn't anchor by the stern? Seriously, the bow is the way to go? I usually just toss it over the rear starboard/stern corner, usually keeping the anchor in the stern when afloat tied to a clamp on the starboard gunwale. Am I doing something wrong here?

Yeah, there's some video out there of folks on the mississippi doing research and they were stern on in water like this video and it's like one second they were there, the next the boat was gone. Hooking to the bow eye is ideal with something thin enough to cut away, over the front second best. The bow lift will try to keep the boat out of the water.

Jamie

Deadmeat said:
Actually, from the way the water was ripping I wouldn't have been anchoring the boat period.

I agree. That water was moving way too fast to try an anchor it especially from the stern. We have a dam here and when they open it I will not even try to anchor my boat even from the front. The only way I will even think about it is tying off on an overhanging tree limb. That can get tricky also, trying to tie onto a limb while the motor is running at half throttle or more while trying to steer the boat and tie at the same time. Then you can't fish because your boat is up on plane. So it does no good.

azekologi said:
So I shouldn't anchor by the stern? Seriously, the bow is the way to go? I usually just toss it over the rear starboard/stern corner, usually keeping the anchor in the stern when afloat tied to a clamp on the starboard gunwale. Am I doing something wrong here?

Yes and no. Anchoring from the bow is the ONLY good way when in any type of current or even when in open water depending on the circumstances. For example, in open water if the wind kicks up unexpectedly the boat will swing around like a weather vane with the bow into the wind; this will allow the bow to take the oncoming seas safely.

However, I do use two anchors pretty often, one off the bow and one of the stern to position myself over a brushpile while fishing. The trick here is, like Ranchero said, keep your rode as light as possible so you can cut it if needed and keep an eye on the weather and water since you know you are anchored in a compromising fashion. I have seen people try to save an $80 anchor at the cost of a boat, just cut the rode and be done with it. Also, when I am anchored with two anchors like this and I need to take a nap, I always pull the stern anchor, just in case. I never anchor JUST off the stern though.

Latest posts