So, is this a scam ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbursell

Reaction score
I went to the dentist today, which easily ranks in the top 5 of things I don't like to do, so I don't go nearly as often as I should. Went to one of the those chain stores that have offices all over. All I wanted was a cleaning and a check up. As part of the check-up, one of the ladies takes a fine metal pick and sticks it between my gum and every single tooth multiple times. After the fact, she tells me that the deeper the probe goes, the more likely there is to be some sort of infection between the tooth and gum. So my first thought is, "Well, if there was an infection in one place, didn't you just use your probe to spread it all over my mouth ?" Never got a straight answer on that one. Then they tell me that (of course) the probe went deep enough in some places that there COULD be some infection in those places. Now they want to to a "Deep Cleaning" that (naturally) involves some sort of high-priced antibiotic before they do the routine work that I went in to get done in the first place. For what seems to me to be nothing more than a preventative measure against something that may or may not actually be there they want almost $800 bucks out of my pocket even after the so-called insurance pays their portion. If anybody knows, is this legit or is it just a scam to do a "Deep Cleaning" of cash from my pocket to theirs ?

I thought it was a scam when they tried it on me...

Attachments

• funny-pictures.jpeg
    funny-pictures.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 956
Sounds like a quick buck for them.

I've been going off and on for 40+ years and never had a deep cleaning for infection.

You might shop around for another Dentist, they are the highest paid profession.

If the probe goes too deep it is a sign of possible gum disease. 1-3 mm is healthy 5mm is a sign of possible gum disease. Of course, if this is not your regular dentist you might want to get a second opinion. If you have gum disease in the early stages it can be controlled with regular cleanings by your dentist, otherwise you will have to see a periodontist. A "one-time" cleaning will not address a real problem.

Ditto, they just started doing that check here. It hurts.

I'm in the middle of trying to kill a sinus infection that I'm sure came from a cavity fix three weeks ago. Nothing quite like 875mg doses of Amoxicillin twice a day.

The good is I have great insurance, the better is they don't want to do any deep cleaning, jusrt regular gouging twice a year...

Jamie

Speaking from recent and life long experience with periodontal (gum) disease it is nothing to take lightly. The "facts" that they are giving you are correct. Their solution is outright thieft. Especially in your situation. You don't mention your age, but the symptoms you are describing are, at worst, the early stages of periodontal problems and should not require the drastic measures they are recommending. And the price, after insurance pays their share, is over the top.

I don't have dental insurance and just had the 10 upper teeth that were left in my mouth pulled and a full set of upper dentures made last month. My out of pocket costs for everything is $2,225 ($125/extraction & $975 for the denture). But, I don't recommend going this route to save money. I've lost 15 lbs this month because I can't eat with the **** things yet cause they don't fit for more than a day before the swelling goes down just enough to make them loose again, allowing food to get under the plate and... well, just take care of what you've got.

The proceedure they are recommending is not wrong. Just too much money. I would recommend a visit to a periodontist to get a reasonable second opinion as to need and price. Also, find yourself a good independent regular dentist with a small, private office and reasonable fee structure. Those "clinics" and group practices usuall have higher fees to pay for the office decore, advertising and other things that do not benefit you as a patient, but you pay for in your fees.

Not taking care of your teeth will come back to bite you in the a$$. :shock: :LOL2:

IMHO 90% of dentistry is a scam. The majority of people can get away with good brushing/flossing and 1-2 visits a year for cleaning. However, bad genetics, poor dental care, and lengthy periods between dental cleaning can lead to some serious problems. What the dentist is recommending, "Deep Cleaning" or "Scaling" is not a scam, and also should not be taken lightly. This may be the onset of periodontitis which could lead to the eventual loss of teeth if left untreated. Deep cleaning is usually the first steps taken to stop the damage that has already occurred, additional steps maybe required. As for the cost, I'm not sure what your dental insurance covers but the procedures are usually quite expensive. Those chain store dentist usually will have a periodontist that floats between stores but I would suggest finding a local periodontist, you'll get a second opinion and someone that just specializes in Periodontics. Good luck.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Tooth_scaling
https://www.perio.org/consumer/procedures.htm

Around 5 years ago,went to the dentist he said I had a cavity,small one found with the xray.I didn't think so and never went back to that dentist...it's been 5 years and this dentist still hasn't found a cavity.
Is it a scam...I don't know but at that price I'd find out for sure.
On a side note,never heard of a "deep cleaning",maybe I don't need one.
I used to get a regular cleaning/check-up every 6 months,now every 9 months,due to my insurance changing policy.

Thanks guys, for the input. Even redbug's - had to laugh at that. :D DocWatson, I feel for ya. I've always been blessed to have a good, healthy set of teeth. At age 50, I've only got two filliings in my mouth. So...., for this go around, I'm gonna skip the "Deep Cleaning". In a few months, if I wind up getting a complete jaw transplant, I guess I'll know I made a mistake. If that happens, I'll let you all know. Again, many thanks.

I work in a Naval Branch Health/Dental Clinic here in Millington, TN. Ill get down there and ask one of the dentist about this and have an answer before lunch. As far as I know, the test is common, and 1-3mm is considered healthy, anything more is a possible sign of gum disease,etc. But Ive never heard of a "deep cleaning"...Gimme a couple hours and Ill get back with ya..

And remember, if these guys are trying to shaft you out of your hard earned money, I wouldnt put it past them to try and shaft you with a halfass "regular" cleaning after you refuse the "deep cleaning"....Id find a new dentist regardless.

My wife has been a dental hygentist for 11 years. The "deep cleaning" is most likely their term for a scale and root plaining. Her recommendation is to find a dentist that owns his own practice and make regular visits so that they can compare results from one visit to another. She says the chains are production lines where the focus is on quantity rather then quality and the staffing is a revolving door for recent dental grads. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me. She says pricing varies state to state so she can't help much on that.

The price issue got me curious, so I Googled "cost scaling and root planing" and my zip code and turned up this general guideline from here.

"The more extensive deep cleaning process called scaling and root planing is done by quadrants (upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left) at a cost of about $100 -$400 per quadrant depending on the severity of the problem or $400 -$1,600 for the entire mouth. Most dental insurance includes these procedures."

Crank's advice seems pretty sound to me. 8)

Thanks, guys. For now, I'm gonna stick with the plan above. In a couple of months, change the primary provider with my insurance company and try somebody local who I hope would prefer a long-term professional relationship instead of taking the first opportunity to get as much money as they can. Seems like we find fewer and fewer people or companies (especially companies) that are willing to consider the value of long term loyalty.

Generally, I have found that, if the question "Is this a scam?" pops into your mind, the answer is a resounding "YES". But, hey, that's just me.

Latest posts