Flea's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Had to move back in with the parents for acouple weeks while the house we're fixing to get is getting a new bathroom and floors all around

parents have a lab who's loaded with fleas from the neighborhood stray mutt. He's become part of the family so getting rid of him is out of the question (the curr mut).

anyhoo, our lab/shephard mix is getting infested with flea's from sitting on these dogs pillow's while we're at work. i wash him every night and see atleast 20-30 go down the drain. He's about 11 weeks old now.

anybody got any idears? i know its just going to be a PETA untill we can get out of there but anything that may help im all open ears

thanks fellers!

Yeah frontline. The last thing you want is a lab getting bit by fleas, the get allergic to it and will eat themselves down the road. I have three labs and even in isolation I still find chunks of squirrels or rabbits every once in a while...

Jamie

When you finally get to move back into your house, stop by your vets office and get a Capstar tablet (might be able to get them at PetSmart or Petco, my wife gets them so have no idea). The Capstar will start killing fleas in like 30 minutes. It won't keep them off, but will prevent them from getting transferred back to your house.

Fleas suck (pun intended)...and the can be a serious nightmare...

I am in the process of dealing with a flea problem from having some friends (with dogs) stay in my house for a few months.. (I found out about the fleas after seeing them on my pants and realizing after it was to late that my calves and ankles were bit to shi%@!....still have the red spots after a lttle over a month....needless to say, the "friends" and there dogs are gone...

I was told by an exterminator....

1. Fleas do not crawl, they jump. Their height range is only about 18" so anything kept higher than that should be ok...(unless the dogs are on the furniture)...
2. They use Deep Woods Off (DEET) to spray their clothing (from the knees down) before they enter a home to do a job... will not kill them, just keep them off clothing... I tred it and it seems to work....
3. After they spray, it is a mandatory part of the contract that the homeowner vacumes the entire house (even the basement) every day for 30 days. Seems the vacuming will not only pick up the dead fleas, but the vibration will cause any hiding fleas to become active and come in contact with the spray.
4. after the 30 day period, if any more fleas are seen, they come back and spray again (for free)...and the process starts all over again....
5. In S.E. Wisconsin cost for about 1500 sq. ft. (including basement) was about $150.00

I am doing it myself and so far so good...

Outdoorsman

I agree, for total kill on a small/medjum infestation Frontline will do the trick, it'll also dent a heavy infestation. Of course supplement with vacuuming, washing bedding, replacing bedding, etc.

Now, if you have kiddos around your house who pet the family dog and you don't want them growing a third arm or not being able to have kids when they sprout, I suggest Sergeant's Natures Garden Flea and Tick Spray. The oils in it will kill some stuff, but mostly keep fleas from attacking the dog. I use it as a preventative measure when take the dog's camping.

From experience: spray it on when you get to your location, not in the car before you leave!

Smells nasty in a confined area! Natural oils are strong!!

:sick:

thanks for all the tips fellers, greatly appreciated

no youngins in the house so that helps

been washing him and putting borax on the carpet and vacuuming every night. its helping but every now and then one of my parents dogs sneeks in the downstairs (brand new carpet) and it gets infested again. man them things breed worse than rabbits.

gonna get some frontline, and keep the war up just another 2 weeks. Will def. make sure them buggers dont tranfer back to my house and willprobably get some of the meds from the vet yuns mentioned.

those things have about drove me crazy [-o<

you need to treat ALL the dogs in the house, the house, and the yard. If your seeing fleas, you already have a heavy infestation. Frontline is OK, however it wont kill the rest of the fleas.

We leave the downstairs windows open for Tiffs cats.. well, last year that lower living area got bombarded with fleas. I tried EVERYTHING... I finally got rid of them by getting Sevin Dust, shaking it around on the carpet, and I left it there for 3-4 days before vacuuming it up. That got rid of them completely. I also treated them with Frontline.

I keep Frontline on my German Shepherd and he has never had a flea on him. He stays outside during the day and comes in when I get home from work. That stuff is the bomb!

almost forgot - I put the Sevin Dust on my hands, and worked it into their coats BEFORE using the Frontline

thanks for the tips! hope they keep commng

been washing my dog and the parents lab but the stray is still going to keep the flea's comming. Ive been givin um hell! trying to help the parents out but they dont want to get rid of the root problem so what can ya do ya know.. :roll:

hate it for our pup, but atleast he has short hair so i can make sure not 1 dad gum flea gets near our new place. all his bedding, fluffy toys ect will be trash'd when we move again.

never thaught of sevens dust but that stuff works wonders for the garden i'd imagine it would give the flea's hell

The fleas for us have been a nightmare this year, stuff we have used in the past (front line/bio spot) havent even put a dent in the flea population. Our next step is to Seven Dust the yard to see if that help to keep Lollipop from bringing em inside. Another redneck solution to getting them outa the carpet without vacumeing every day is to leave a bowl of soapy water under a night light at night. Supposely the fleas jump for the light and wing up drowning in the water, If ya try it let us know how it goes.

BassAddict said:
Another redneck solution to getting them outa the carpet without vacumeing every day is to leave a bowl of soapy water under a night light at night. Supposely the fleas jump for the light and wing up drowning in the water, If ya try it let us know how it goes.

it works... but I"m tellin ya - you need to use Sevin Dust. Trust me, it's a lot cheaper than trying all the other crap out there (learn from my experience)

Also put it at all the doors and window seals. put it on the carpet and just lightly run a broom over it. It will kill them all. Also make sure to get under all of the furniture.

I just asked my wife what we do for our hounds and she gives them a monthly pill called Sentinel, which I believe she gets at the vets. What it does is, when the flea bites your dog, the flea basically becomes sterile and breaks the cycle. It's great for maintenance, but you obviously don't want every flea in the house to bite your dog.

Many years ago we had an infestation in the basement and it took several foggers, vacating the house for the day and scattering sevens dust on the floor to get rid of them, but it did the trick.

We also use Sentienal. Works great, isn't cheap, but works great, better than frontline, at least according to all the Vets we know. At one point this year we had 4 dogs and 2 cats, all went outside and lived inside at night. No flea problems.

Latest posts