Garter Snake vs. Toad (Lots of PICTURES)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
While my wife was working in the yard last Saturday, she came across nature at it's best. (well, at least for me it's pretty darn cool....but I'm a snake lover). I was able to lay on my belly for about 45 minutes, inches away, while taking pictures (nearly 90 shots) of the whole process of this Garter snake eating a Toad. When I first arrived, the garter snake only had one rear leg of the toad in it's mouth. To give some perspective.....the toad was about 5 times the size of the snake's head. Kind of felt sorry for the toad.....well, just a little. :?

Attachments

• DSC_0723_lr.jpg
    DSC_0723_lr.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0721_lr.jpg
    DSC_0721_lr.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0713_lr.jpg
    DSC_0713_lr.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 683
  • Garter vs Toad_lr.jpg
    Garter vs Toad_lr.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0705_lr.jpg
    DSC_0705_lr.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0702_lr.jpg
    DSC_0702_lr.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0692_lr.jpg
    DSC_0692_lr.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0689_lr.jpg
    DSC_0689_lr.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0665_lr.jpg
    DSC_0665_lr.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 683
cool how they can do that, good thing they don't get indigestion from swallowing whole :shock: LOL

Jim said:
Fender66 is Tinboats resident snake expert. Here is a plug for his "hobby". Check it out!

https://www.reptileshed.com/

Thanks for the plug Jim....I really need to update that site though. It's been due for over a year. Guess fishing has a higher priority. :D

azekologi said:
Awesome shot fender! Hey, after the toad was in, how long did it take the snake to relocate? Did he digest and chill a while, or did he bounce?

Azekologi: Pretty much right after the toad was down, the snake started looking for a place to go hide again. He ended up cruising across my front yard and going under a big evergreen bush that is on the corner of my house. I'm guessing this meal will last him a good week at least. Garters eat a lot of slugs and earthworms too, so if he runs across something smaller, he might just go for it this week. Snakes are opportunistic eaters and will often try to eat too much which will either cause them to regurgitate it later, or if it's too large for them to actually get down....they will abandon it. I've been amazed more than once as to how large a meal a snake can eat.

Thanks again to all for your kind comments. I'm very happy to share.

Do toads give snakes gas? Wonder if a toad fart is on of those big bubble farts or a silent but deadly fart? Do snakes even fart? Can you tell what thread I just read?

fender66 said:
Azekologi: Pretty much right after the toad was down, the snake started looking for a place to go hide again. He ended up cruising across my front yard and going under a big evergreen bush that is on the corner of my house. I'm guessing this meal will last him a good week at least.

I would have guessed that he might stay put for a bit, and eventually move on. But on second thought, that would leave him exposed for whatever around your parts sees him as prey.

Popeye - My $$$ lies on some things give snakes gas; toads, not sure? If I were to venture to guess what kind; silent and deadly seems to fit the MO.

Latest posts