Weather in Georgia in February?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Our orienteering (map & compass) team has been chosen as 1 of the 3 teams to represent our region to compete at the jrotc orienteering nationals the 3rd weekend of February 2011. Anyone near Rutledge, GA. provide any info on the weather there that time of year? Mild, cold, wet, etc. Thanks :)

Well, last February, we had a few inches of snow, with consistent 25 degree temperatures, and the next week, highs were in the mid 60s. Winter in Georgia covers just about every possible climate type, all in the course of two weeks.

Should be somewhere between freezing and 70. Just the way it goes down here that time of year.

Are you guys going to be at Hard Labor Creek?

The weather guru's say we're in for a warmer than normal winter this year so shouldn't be too bad. But like BB and Brine said, the temp here in the winter are all over the place. Compared to KY whatever we have should be tolerable though.

I went to college in Atlanta (about 100 years ago) and the best advice I can give you about Georgia in the winter is that if it snows (even flurries), stay off the roads. They can't drive in the stuff !!! :wink:

DocWatson said:
I went to college in Atlanta (about 100 years ago) and the best advice I can give you about Georgia in the winter is that if it snows (even flurries), stay off the roads. They can't drive in the stuff !!! :wink:

Correction Doc... They can't drive here *period* ;-)

Which college?

Brine said:
Should be somewhere between freezing and 70. Just the way it goes down here that time of year.

Kind of like KY weather, as it can change from one extreme to the next. It was about 83 degrees here yesterday.

Yep, Hard Labor Creek. How's the terrain there? Hilly, flat, heavily forested, etc?

Waterwings said:
Brine said:

Kind of like KY weather, as it can change from one extreme to the next. It was about 83 degrees here yesterday.

Yep, Hard Labor Creek. How's the terrain there? Hilly, flat, heavily forested, etc?

Kinda hilly. Not really mountainy, but there are some hills. Woody/foresty, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to say heavily forested. Couple lakes over there. Never done much fishing in them, and have heard that they aren't all that great, I'm sure you could find a few fish here and there if you wanted to sneak a rod in.

Place is fairly well maintained, has some nice picnic pavilions, etc.

Thanks, bassboy :) . My team is used to hilly and wooded areas. The hills make it easier to navigate using terrain features in relation to the map, and not rely on the compass so much (as least for the experienced ones). Unfortunately we won't have any time for fishing.

Yep, I'd call it hilly from memory. Lake Rutledge (inside Hard Labor Creek) used to be on our jon boat tournament schedule. It's a tough lake, and has been muddy everytime I've fished it. Not many fish caught, but there are always a couple 5#ers brought in.

About the weather, 2 years ago I was on that lake in Feb with it snowing so hard at times I couldn't see my partner in the front of the boat. Also memorable in that one of the tourney guys fell out of his boat into the lake. Apparently the water felt like a warm bath, as he elected to get drug back to the ramp in tow rather than make the 15 minute boat ride soaking wet with the air temps as low as they were that day.

Appreciate the info, as it will help us plan on what clothing to bring with us. Terrain sounds real manageable, as the kids are used to running some real tough stuff at some of the places they've competed at around here, and out of state. Two years ago they ran in some real tough stuff located on the training grounds at West Point Military Academy. They didn't place, but it was darned good experience.

I'm thinking the guy that chose to be towed-in in the water did the right thing staying out of the cold air. It probably would have sucked the last bit of warm core temp he had left after the dunking in the cold water.

ask the magic 8 ball, its what the weather forecasters do. Can be any and all. One of my favorite golf courses is out there though! :LOL2:

poolie said:
DocWatson said:

Correction Doc... They can't drive here *period* ;-)

Which college?
Spoken like a true transplant. :LOL2:

I went to Oglethorpe University in Atlanta. Class of '71.