GPS waypoints and your computer.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
I tried to start this thread an hour ago, however I got sidetracked due to other posts. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Couple of things-

Thing 1- we dont have a forum to discuss GPS, chartplotting, mapping. We have them for other stuff, but not GPS type stuff. Could we get a forum for GPS/Chartplotters/Mapping stuff in the Fishing Forum?

Thing 2- what do you guys name your waypoints? Do you use a code for them?
Like Crappie Crib 1, or Walleye hole 2, or CC1, W2, or what?

Thing 3- I was talking to a buddy of mine "Crappie Professor" (google him), anyway he started a seperate MMC for each lake. Now that he has a side imaging unit he has a hundred more waypoints per lake. Makes it easier to scroll through only that lakes waypoints, instead of 700 other waypoints on other lakes before getting to the ones you need. Any other tricks you guys use?

Thing 4- Do you include time of year, species season, in your naming code?

I think the main reason we don't have a GPS section is because there aren't many people that have it in the first place

Or, if they're like me, they installed it, and it stopped working 3 months later #-o

I've had mine all summer, figured out how to quick enter waypoints and entered about 50 of them so far. Now that soft water fishing season is almost over its time to figure out how to use the GPS. I was hoping to get some tips, pointers from other users.

Great idea - I think many of us have GPS on our boats - I have had one on my big boat since around 1990 and have 1000s of waypoints 9of course i use that boat in only one BIG BIG pond :mrgreen:

Hanr3 - write up a little article to get this going and in the right direction and we can them make a sub-forum in the electronics area devoted to GPS and FF, maybe by unit and manufacturer?

I think just a general sub-forum would be fine. I doubt that there would be enough traffic to generate a by brand forum. I am all about talking GPS and sonar. I know all to well that if you dont use your sonar effectively you will nto catch fish on big water.

From the standpoint of the ignorant, I'd love to read anything anyone is willing to post about GPS/Sonar. Its something I know I can use - just haven't gotten to that point yet. Any shared knowledge would be welcomed.

no sub-forums. We used to have them and it made the forum very hard to look at..it was too busy looking.

If you think the their is enough interest, I would rather create a new forum all together.

I don't use or have GPS...but some day I might. I do have what you could call "Stone Age GPS". Each lake that I fish, I have an aerial printout of. (some printed from google earth) I then keep that map in a book with dots, stars, numbers and notes relating to each mark on the map. I keep any or all of the following in my notes (depending on how disciplined I am): weather conditions, time of year/day, water temps, catch, size of catch, bait used, etc..... Some of my maps don't have any notes because I just didn't get to it...but some have quite a few notes. So far, it works for me. I don't keep this in my boat, but review it before hitting the waters to keep the info fresh. So far.....it hasn't really made that much of a difference...but I've only been doing this since last spring. Next year might prove a payoff.

We have an Electrical section in the "Boats" forum, however its mostly questions related to wiring of the various things.

We have a Computer & Electronics section in teh "Off the Water" forum, however that seems more related to, well computers, Droids, software and things of that nature.

I was thinking of a section in the "Fishing" forum for GPS/Chartplotter useage, interpretations, pretty much how you use your electronics to locate and catch fish, how to interpret what your seeing on the screen, what maps to buy, what data to track, etc. Pretty much how to use your electronics to locate and catch fish. Not sure it needs it's own forum with 5-6 sections.

I want to take my "fishing" to the next level. I want to do more "Catching" than "Fishing". I want to be able to find fish and catch them every time I go out. Knowing how to use your elctronics appears to be one of the key's to locating fish. No sense weting a line when there are no fish.

Back to the subject of what you track or coding for location.
I too have maps with "X marks the spot", and have notes to cross referenced locations on land to get you on the spot. Things like, lined up between the 1st Oak on the north shore, and the 3rd Oak on the East shore. That info is still useful, even with the GPS. The GPS still "Marks the Spot", however you can refine the data by coding the name.

Someone posted some good ideas. I spent some time at work today thinking about it, and came up with a list of 38 different data to track. Figuring I could code 5-7 key items into each locations code, add three more codes for color, "X, Y, or whatever marker" you use, and vary the size of the marker as another code.

Hanr.....First question that I have to help me understand what you have at your fingertips is what Finder are you using?

The 38 items are:
Location- x.y cordinates,
Cover- trees, man-made, brush, laydowns, etc.
Structure- point, creek, drop-off, etc.
Fish Season- pre-spawn, post-spawn, summer, winter, etc.
Time of day- morning, mid-morning, lunch- relates to sun location.
Sun- Sunny, Partly sunny, Partly cloudy, cloudy, etc.
Wind Speed,
Wind direction,
Anchored, Trolling, Floating, etc.,
Cast & Retrieve, Slip bobber, etc.,
Bait- what bait was used.,
Bait season- mayfly's in season, minnows, chubs, what is there season.
Lure color,
Lure size,
Water temp.,
Air temp.,
Humidity,
Barometer, steady, rising, falling,
Fish species,
Water clarity,
line test,
lure depth,
fish size,
Qty fish caught,
Boat speed,
Direction of travel,
Moon phase,Moon rise/set times,
Sun rise/set times,
Day light saving time,
Weather week prior to trip,
Cover depth, bottom and top
Normal pool,
Current water level in relation to normal pool,
Average daily temp,
Fish weight,
Current speed, and
Current direction.

That's a lot of data to track, even for a a guy who does it for a living.

I'm using a Humminbird Pirana Max 220 Fish finder and Lowrance iFinder for my GPS.

The P-Max has a dual cone, 20/60 degree, and a host of other features.

I bought the iFinder and some accessories. Map Create 6, MMC and a Card reader, RAM mounting system, and an accessory cord that plugs into a 12v source. I can upload/download the points to my computer, maipulate them, upload them to the MMC and intl the GPS. I can change the symbols, colors, marker size, marker name, etc. Figure I can code each waypoint with pertenant info.

Ahh....I was thinking you had GPS in your fish finder. Be patient with me...I'm catching up...but this is interesting.

No hurry.

I want to buy a combination unit next year. However before I spend $300-$2000 on a unit, I want to know what I need and an idea on how I plan to utilize it.

I am an ISO Lead Auditor by trade, I deal with monitoring, measuring, data collection, statistics, all day long. Making corrections to 50 waypoints is far less time consuming than updating 500 waypoints. Once I work out a system, then Ill find a unit that will work within my system. Part of working out the system, will be understanding the capabilities of more advanced units. Ill keep posting questions and my discoveries as time goes on.

Thinking my next task is to break up the 38 items into groupings/categories. Off the top of my head, Sun/Moon, Fish, Bait, Cover/Structure, Water, Atmospheric, Boat, and Time groupings.

Keep it up. I'm a slow learner and poor, but this enquring mind wants to know. At least, there'll always be something to add to the wish list.

I have found the video series from Wilson Frazier to be very helpful with using my gps and sonar.
he is coming out with 2 more dvds soon and i will be getting them.
he goes over some good points about how to track your way points, how to use markers . and how to set your depth finder to get the most out of it.
I also have a program called hot maps explorer it has over 10k lakes on it and tools to plot your trails transfer way points back and forth from your computer to your gps.
if you do a search you should be able to find the program for $20 and it will include 1 free HD download that will give you contour line down to 1 ft.
very helpful on your favorite lake.
I think a gps forum would be a great addition to the site. it would help the guys that have them to share info and may convince the guys without that are on the fence to get them.
Maybe make it a depth finder/gps forum we could include side scan screenshots and other info have a sticky for transformer placement and other basics

lbursell said:
From the standpoint of the ignorant, I'd love to read anything anyone is willing to post about GPS/Sonar. Its something I know I can use - just haven't gotten to that point yet. Any shared knowledge would be welcomed.

Same here.