Blondes - Arrrggg!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I posted this on facebook this morning:

Why did you hit my car today lady? Did you not see the 7 foot black SUV on 35" tires in front of you? Perhaps you missed my brake lights shining brightly in your face? Maybe because I was parked, you thought you could push me out of your way? Did you really need your McDees coffee THAT bad? Did you forget which pedal was the brake and which one made it 'go'?

Blondes! Argh!

I'm sorry you hit my trailer hitch I left down just so no one would hit underneath my car. Good thing too, or your car would have needed new paint on the hood and both quarterpanels as you slipped underneath my bumper. Instead, you just have a dent in your license plate, and my car is fine. Happy Friday!

Yep, some gal forgot which pedal was the brake and hit the back of my landcruser this morning while I was in line at McDonalds. Since the it has a 4" lift and 35" tires, I've been leaving the trailer hitch in to deter people from getting too close- and act as some protection for the rear axle from tiny cars. This gal would have had some real damage if she hadn't hit the hitch first. It hit right on her license plate and it's support - so it spread the impact for her car. She has a REAL good dent in her license plate and I'm sure the license bracket it toast. Of course, my car was fine.

Now this might give the wife enought resason for me to get some aftermarket protection on the rear!

fender66 said:
Ten bucks says she was either on the phone or texting! [-X

HATE (yes with capital letters) those people!

I'll take that, I say she was fixin' her hair or her makeup. She's blonde, right?

Good to hear you didn't receive any damge. :) . Someone asked me recently why I still had my trailer hitch on my truck if I haven't towed the boat all season. I simply told them "it's a deterrent". Too many tail-gaters around here.

It's illegal up here to talk on the phone while driving,unless blue toothing.
It's also illegal to drive with your hitch in.Thats what the "new" weighier says anyways,hes been driving around handing out tickets,says that if it extends past the body more then 4 inches it's against the law...hes not making any friends.
I havn't been busted yet,I'm sure it's coming though.

Zum said:
It's illegal up here to talk on the phone while driving,unless blue toothing.
It's also illegal to drive with your hitch in.Thats what the "new" weighier says anyways,hes been driving around handing out tickets,says that if it extends past the body more then 4 inches it's against the law...hes not making any friends.
I havn't been busted yet,I'm sure it's coming though.

I was pulled over once for having the tailgate down. Didn't get a ticket, just a verbal warning. I didn't know that was against the law in S.C.

I'd contest a ticket for a hitch extending past teh body more than 4". The bumper extends past the body more than 4" on my truck, factory installed.

As for the accident, $hit happens. Time for an after market steel bumper.
https://www.roadarmor.com/site/

Looks like they are having a 50% off rear bumper special.

Years ago I had a buddy that had a truck that kept getting hit from the rear. Finally, he had enough of it and took an I-beam, cut it off to the length of the rear bumper, and welded it onto the frame. On the I-beam he wrote, "Go ahead...Hit me!" Never was hit again and he said the tailgating pretty much stopped also.

Hanr3 said:
I'd contest a ticket for a hitch extending past teh body more than 4". The bumper extends past the body more than 4" on my truck, factory installed.

Think factory is alright,anything aftermarket.
Just like tires if they extend past your fenders are suppose to have fender kits...so hes saying.

Zum said:
Hanr3 said:

Think factory is alright,anything aftermarket.
Just like tires if they extend past your fenders are suppose to have fender kits...so hes saying.

Been doing a little research on it. It appears the Federal gov't regulation state nothing can extend more than 2/3 the distance between your tires behind teh rear of the vehicle, and if the taillights are still visible, then you only need a reg flag 12" square. 2/3 of my wheel base if like 66", thats a hell of a lot more than a 4" receiver hitch. And that Federal government measures off the taillights, not the bumper. Again, my bumper is further back than my taillights.

I did find a reference to an Illinois law about ball hitches. MAybe similar in nature to other states, Illinois has the worst laws.

Ball Mount Removal
•A bill introduced in the Illinois State Assembly in 2009 by Representative Elaine Nekritz would require towing vehicles with ball mounts to remove these hitches when the vehicle is not being used for towing. The law would only apply to those vehicles with ball mount hitches that are 4 inches beyond the rear bumper of the trailer, and any vehicle where the removal of the ball mount would be too difficult would have the option of placing a red cover over the hitch instead of removing it. As of August 2010, the bill has not yet passed.

Read more: Illinois Trailer Hitch Standards & Rules | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/list_6928379_illinois-trailer-hitch-standards-rules.html#ixzz13rQqUpFP

Notice it states beyond the rear of the trailer, not the rear of the towing vehicle. Also states a red cover is acceptable.

Latest posts