Fly fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmctanker

Reaction score
I just went for the first time last week while camping on the lower mountain fork river in Oklahoma. Wow, I feel like I have been missing out. I caught one my first time out and three the next day. Sorry I didn't get a pic because I was wading without waders, nothing huge though just a couple rainbows. It sure is relaxing for those hat have never tried it. I was apprehensive at first but once I bought an outfit and got a lesson on casting it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought. Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else enjoys it as much as I do.

I have tinkered with a fly rod and reel a little to try and learn a little about it. I used to drive trucks over the road and would see the guys in the northwest standing in the streams fly fishing and it would make me like to try it. I really need to get some lessons on it to really get the hang of it. I have caught a few bream with it but I think it would be more fun to be standing in the streams catching trout.

We have over 700 miles of trout streams in SE Minnesota, most hold a population of wild trout. I've been fly fishing these waters for about 17 years, after the walleye opener in mid May you can spend the entire day fishing and never see another person.

I use a 9' 4wt Loomis rod or a 7' 2wt Sage for trout, and a 9' 7wt Cabelas rod for small-mouth. Almost all of the smallmouth fishing for me takes place in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I tie my own flies for trout and purchase poppers for the smallmouth.

I have wanted to get into fly fishing for a few years now. The only thing holding me back is how much the setups are. One of these days I'll pull the trigger.

I had always wanted to try fly fishing and I got to dabble with it abit at the beginning of this year and I loved it. However being unemployed, I was unable to aquire a setup so I still have yet to get one. But it is on my list of things to get as soon as I can. I really enjoyed.

I flyfish for bass and catch a lot of bream along the way. I use mostly poppers and a few subsurface flies. As far as setup, I started out with a $25.oo Wal-Mart outfit and have upgraded over the years. Nothing better than a 2# LM on a fly.

Ken

Growing up I had a friend with a pond behind his grandpas house. His grandpa had 2 fly rods that we always used. We would get a piece of foam to use as a cork and dig up worms to catch blue gill and bass out of the pond. It was a blast...especially at the age of like 10.

I would really like to fly fish a stream sometime...but I would have to travel to do that seeing as there is nothing around me for probably a few hundred miles.

Latest posts