Winter Activities?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
For those of us who are not fortunate to live in the warmer climates and fish open water all year round, what do you do to keep busy in the winter months?

Me, I am kept pretty busy with my son's hockey schedule. We also ski as a family. This year I am hoping to get out and do some open water fishing (from shore) for rainbow trout on some of the local rivers that are open all winter.

I will be duck, pheasant, squirrel and coyote hunting. I have a 10' hydroplane that needs some fiberglass work.

BaitCaster said:
For those of us who are not fortunate to live in the warmer climates and fish open water all year round, what do you do to keep busy in the winter months?

I have hunting till December, then it's tax season for me. So no thought of fishing till after April 15th. Then it's 2 weeks to get the boat read for the bass season opener on May 1st.

I hibernate in front of the fireplace and sleep when I can...if that doesn't work, which is seldom does.....then I try to get some of the "inside the house" projects done. This winter, I'm hoping to gut and redo our master bedroom/bath and custom make shelving and mantle to surround the fireplace. I think I can make that last until spring.

I invite all you snowbirds to come fish in GA with me 8)

Well.....on the days it's above 50 :mrgreen:

We try our best to stay inside where it's warm, unless I have an outdoor school activity to attend. At the moment, we have one this month, December, 2 in February, and one sometime in March.

I do all the same activities in the snow and ice, except mow the yard, I plow snow instead.
Fish the hard water when I can.
Go camping, yes in the snow. Winter camping is the best, no bugs, no part time campers, no rangers, and the sound of snow hitting your tent is surreal. Really lets you know there is a supreme being.

I actually love the winter months, of coarse I gre up at 9,100 elevation in the Colorado Rocky Mountians, it was witner 9 months of the year.

I spend my St. Louis winters planing my next years garden, completing the inside To do list, and this year I promise myself to clean my tackle boxes, sharpen hooks and throw away or give away anyting I didn't use last year. On nice days I'll be bicycle riding getting ready for another long trail ride come spring. 140 miles last spring.....3 1/2 days

mostly hunting untill xmas time

after that its find anything broke to fix, watch lots of movies, dream about fishing and getting sun burnt.

hoping to get into reloading this winter so that should keep me busy

If I manage to find someone that can help me install this old gas furnace I got in my garage, I hope to be working on the boat rebuild all winter long...

Otherwise, I have enough projects that I want to finish in the house to last me for 10 winters! Would love to gut out the mancave and remodel with an actual wetbar, would love to soundproof the music room, would love to remodel all three bathrooms, and would love to get all new flooring throughout the house. There is just way more than I can get done. The challenge for me is going to be to ignore my A.D.D. tendencies and actually focus on one project at a time... :oops:

FIshing.... just in my foul weather gear.... thick jacket, long johns, covered with waterproof jacket and waterproof pants and white, shin high rubber boots.... Gotta stay dry when fishing in 40 degree 15-20mph winds from the north.... lucky for me we dont get ice.... gotta love FLORIDA!

Outdoorsman said:
Ice Fish.....from my back door....

Outdoorsman.

Some people just ask to be hated don't they? :twisted:

Oh wait...maybe that's just jealousy! Yeah..that's probably what it is. :mrgreen: Proceed as scheduled. :roll:

Love me, hate me, call me names.....just do not call me later for supper... [-X

Oh my....I can not beleive I typed that..... :shock:

Honestly, I did feel a little weird posting the pic.....first time it has been posted...I moved in last November....Siler Lake WI...Kenosha County....to keep my status as an outdoorsman in this fine website.... it is a mobile home (trailer) in a trailer park...I own the trailer and rent the lot....beats living in the city I moved from (Racine WI)...At least in Silve Lake population 2,400 I can walk the streets at night wihtout literally fearing for my life....

Outdoorsman.

I fish - offshore wrecks, for cod. ling, hake, blackfish and sea bass

And 50* - heck it is colder then that here already. Try fishing in 10 degree when the salt spray freezes to the boat

Wussies

Anyone and everyone welcome.......(not to move in).... :D ...To stop in and fish for a day or weekend..Silver Lake has a nice (small) motel that never seems busy......there is room at my pier for your boat and the lake has Bluegill, Largemouth, Musky, Etc. has a free (nice) boat landing....

The best part is that the Fox river with nice boat landing ($5.00) is less than 2 miles away....it has catfish, northern, smallmouth, etc.... and a 1/2 day trip downriver will get you to the Fox Chain of Lakes in IL. ...have not been there yet but the maps show it to be a huge body of water....Thinking about next year packing the Bass Tracker with gear (extra gas tank,food, drink, sleeping bag, etc., and making a weekend trip down the river into the chain of lakes and then back up river until home....my kinda fun....

Outdoorsman

when all the hunting seasons open, the boat go into the pole barn and the guns come out for the winter, I hunt for just about everything there is a season for with White tail deer archery style my favorite. I do the bunny thing and love to hunt those darn squirrels too. about the only thing I dont do much of is the ice fishing, dont like it, too darn cold and boring LOL

Latest posts