Need A New TV For The ManCave

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry Bob

Reaction score
Ok guys I need a new tv. Went lookin last night and the fella told me plasma would be best for football games, but they suck a little more juice. LED's prolly last the longest and are most efficient. So I was wonderin what you guys have found to be the case. Right now I'm eyeing a 55" LCD.

Bob,
Whatever you decide, highly recommend an LCD with at least 240hz refresh rate. Killer for sports and anything fast action. I picked up a 47 inch LG last Christmas and it it is awesome.

Whatever you decide to buy, try to hold out till Black Friday. There will be some great deals on TV's.

A plasma is better for anything fast action (less blurring/faster refresh rate). For a LCD you want at least 120hz (240 hz is way better) and your viewing angles are limited. Plasma tvs do suck a little more juice, but nothing you can notice, but they run hotter. You also need to think about glare (sun or ambient light). Plasmas have a glass screen that is highly reflective while LCD has a mat screen.
Plasma=best picture (with the right lighting conditions) and cheaper, but slightly less screen life
LCD=Great picture (within the correct viewing angles) and slightly longer screen life, but more expensive
Go all out. Get a projector with stadium seating

We have a 46" Samsung model750 LCD. I couldn't be happier with it.I can sit at the dinner table and still se it clearly.About a 10-20 degree angle.I was told when I bought mine to pick one with the higher model#(i.e. 750 vs.730),the higher # has the better screen(Japanese vs. Chinese).

After seeing the new LED tv's side by side with the plasma's and the LCD's..... I really can't see buying anything but the LED style. It was incredible. When looking at the plasma next to the LED, the plasma picture looked cartoonish and almost fake in comparison. When looking at the LED next to the LCD, the LCD's picture showed its weaknesses by just stepping to the side and watching the picture fade out.

I wouldn't worry about the speed, while I was at abc warehouse looking, all the tv's had football playing... And I didn't notice any lag in any of them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was lookin again last night, but didn't pull the trigger. My girlfriend was at a different store, and she also said the LED's blew away the others. I may just hold out for a black friday deal. Hopefully I'm not the guy you hear about getting killed by a shopping cart. :D

LCD, all the way, it's the only way to go.

If you can wait for Black Friday, check out https://bfads.net/. I've been using their website for the last 3-4 years to get access to the leaked ads. Great site, they even archive previous year's adscans so you can even compare to old BF deals.

I have a 55" sony bravia XRB and love it
The new LED tvs are great also
Another thing to remember about plasma tvs is transporting them
the must stay vertical or you can damage them
the lcd is also very light
look for the highest resolution you can get and avoid the Mitsubishi they have a very high failure rate

The lady and I stopped by Sam's club today and checked out a Vizio 55" LCD I was eyeing up. The price was right, and the picture looked great so I jumped on it. It's pretty awesome watchin the Packers on it right now. 8) Thanks for all the replies, and I'll be putting that website to use Zeke.

I hope you end up being one of the lucky ones with a vizio. Our small one only lasted about 8 months, out neighbors 55" only lasted about 4 months. In both cases, vizio did not honor their warranty.

We're printing the black friday ads now, TV's are staying around what they're out there for now... Some deals on off brands but... Seems Black Friday is now Halloween to Xmas...

Jamie

perchin said:
I hope you end up being one of the lucky ones with a vizio. Our small one only lasted about 8 months, out neighbors 55" only lasted about 4 months. In both cases, vizio did not honor their warranty.

I hope so too. Good thing I've got 5 yrs. of extended warranty coverage.

Check out Slickdeals.net and Pricewatch. If you can find what you want, check it out in store and buy online. I bought my last one from OfficeMax (of all places) saved a few hundred $ and it still works great today.

Just a thought,

Will

:twisted: I have a Phillips and a Magnavox, both LCD. No problems with either one. Always hear bad things about Vizio. Good Luck on your search.

55" SOny Bravia LCD in my living room....

TV in a man cave...... :?: [-X

Ok....I suppose if it is a big enough man cave....my cave is a nice 12' x 6' shed...
Vinyl sided, with a regular door, small lift up garage type door, and two vinyl opening windows w/ screens....small but all mine..... :D

Outdoorsman

Here's my cave

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1042.jpg

DSCN1044.jpg

I purchased this 46" Samsung for $999 on sale at BestBuy a few months back and absolutely love it! HD LCD so good it almost looks 3D. I made my decision after watching numerous movies on shows on my friends 42", his dad's 55" and reading all the reviews I could find. If you are going LCD, I dont think you will be disappointed. Good luck with whatever you decide!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsun...HDTV/9783685.p?id=1218173773690&skuId=9783685

Latest posts