10 Best Fishing inventions of all times

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freetofish

Reaction score
I didn't make this up. I got it from "a fishing club" I belong to. so here is the list
1. Original floating minnow: 1936, Rapala
2. Spring loaded bobber: 1947, Nibble Nabber
3. Mitchell 300 reel: 1949, Mitchel
4. Creme worm: 1949, Creme
5. Clsed face Spincast reel: 1949, Zero Hour bomb co.
6. Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor: 1957, Lowrance
7. Monofilament line: 1958, Dupont Stren
8. Minn Kota trolling motor: 1958, Minn Kota
9. Fenwick High Modulus Graphite Rod: 1972, Fenwick
10. Shakespeare Ugly Stick : 1976, Shakespeare.
I know not how this was voted on, they didn't ask me. Seems like a lot of important things are not listed. The least of which would be a "tinboat"

I was thinking of the more modern upgrades, turn the corner type inventions.

Like Side Imagining by Humminbird. No longer do you have to be over the structure/cover to see it on your sonar. With side imaging you can see it up to 180' out to the side. One pass through a cove compared to an all day affair and still not see everything.

In 1987, Dutch State Mines - gel-spinning ultrahigh-molecular-weight polyethylene for multifibered threads

i.e. Braid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certainly changed how much fishing is done

I remember as a kid, the Rapala ( I guess there was only the original at that point in the late 60's ) was the most prized item in my tackle box. Then again I only had like four lures at the time. That and my trusty Zebco 33 caught a bunch of fish.

Sorry Gentlemen,

The absolute, hands-down, no-room-for-argument, best fishing invention of ALL TIME is the hook.

When combined with the line, everything else after that is just refinement. 8)

Some not mentioned..

Fee Lure won as a prize...
Shore Lunch....
Bait Shops....
Tackle Box.....
Water Temp. Gage...
Chest Waders....

Outdoorsman....

lbursell said:
Sorry Gentlemen,

The absolute, hands-down, no-room-for-argument, best fishing invention of ALL TIME is the hook.

Hook? I have to try that - how does it work?

I usually just fish "bear style"

brown-bear-in-alaska-fishing-hunting-cute-animal-picture.jpg

I look at the list and see a few that shouldn't be there
the spring loaded bobber?
The ugly stick??
All the others are still in use in some way or another
most if not all have under gone improvements.

Captain Ahab said:
lbursell said:
Sorry Gentlemen,

Hook? I have to try that - how does it work?

I usually just fish "bear style"

brown-bear-in-alaska-fishing-hunting-cute-animal-picture.jpg

Hey, if that works for you, then I say "Go for it, brother." Looks to me, though, like the competition for the good spots is a real bear. 8)

Here is one that has saved alot of fishing trips , you know when have that"not so easy feeling" :shock: . It is:

Immodium.

I'd have to say, I think the depthfinder definitly belongs, but the ugly stick? Why single that out (unless the study was sponsored by Shakespeare and conducted with their employees) - I like the Mitchell 300, had an early version as a kid I got from my great-grandmother (probably a collectors items) that I used and abused. It was worth every penny I could have gotten out of it as I am so hooked on fishing now.
Since they seem to be focusing on things that opened up fishing to the everyman, I'd probably add the zebco 33 to the list, for bringing fishing to the masses. I'd replace the trolling motor - in my eyes, it was just an electric version of a boat motor.

lbursell said:
Sorry Gentlemen,

Agreed.

wasilvers said:
Since they seem to be focusing on things that opened up fishing to the everyman, I'd probably add the zebco 33 to the list, for bringing fishing to the masses.

Completely agree. When you consider value versus price,availability, durability, and simplicity to use, the Zero Hour Bomb Company really hit a home run. I wonder what percentage of fishermen out there learned how to cast with a Zebco 33. I would be willing to bet 90% plus owned or used one before the age of 16. IMHO the Zebco 33 is arguably the pinnacle of fishing reel engineering.

P.S.
I do not work for, nor do I own stock in Zebco. :fishing:

Latest posts