Soft water season is about over, now what?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
Another season just about over.
Time to do the boat repairs, mods, upgrades I decided on while out fishing this year.
Time to get the motor in tip top shape.
Time to learn more about my GPS, Fishfinder, and research log books, etc.

What are your plans to get ready for next season?

I get to go fishing during the "fishing season".....I get to do whatever my wife asks the rest of the year.

Guess that's fair. :?

Duck hunting!!!
Put a blind on the boat and start killing ducks.
These boats can go through 2" of ice.

Season is far from over - we have at least another month of striped bass here and then all winter in the Chessie area

Fishing season is just getting started for me. In October and November the speckled trout transition from the outer bays to the interior marsh. From now to February they are stacked up within 20 minutes of the launches in St. Bernard.

When it's cold you catch them on the bottom in deep water near bays and when it warms up a little they run the bays.

Good times!

I'd love to go while we still have soft water, however most of the lakes around here are closed for hunting seasons, ducks/deer. They open back up after the first of the year.

Hanr3 said:
I'd love to go while we still have soft water, however most of the lakes around here are closed for hunting seasons, ducks/deer. They open back up after the first of the year.

Why don't you try some of that duck and deer huntin???? You just might like it.

I love to go bambi hunting, however finding a place is getting harder every year. Clubs are leasing all the land from teh farmers, turning around and charging the big city boys from chicago big bucks to hunt them. Just not worth $1,200 a year to lease the land for a couple of deer. Especially when the permit is only $15. Seriously considering Bow hunting, finding property to hunt is easier, plus the season is longer, much longer. 4 months compared to 7 days (shotgun), There is a Black powder and used to be a Handgun season as well. In fact this Friday is the start of a 3 day first shotgun season. 2 weeks later is 2nd season and its Thursday - Sunday. Should be a great year this year. The deer are in rut right now. Everyday this week there have been at least 2-3 vehicle-deer accidents. Despite the unseasonable warm weather, the deer have been moving, especially at dusk and dawn.

If any of you are driving through central Illinois the next few weeks, do yourself a favor. Leave plenty of stopping distance betwen you and the next guy. Deer get real goofy this time of year, they got one thing on thier minds, sex. There going to "get some" even if it kills them, and in some cases it does.

In fact I passed two seperate vehicle-deer accidents tonight on my way home from work.

Not much for Duck, if cooked wrong it tastes like a nasty dry fart smells.

I will be spengin lots of time on the couch watching my favourite shows on WFN.

I usually clean and lubricate all my reels over the winter. Organize tackle boxes.

Planning to hit one of the local rivers for some steelhead and brown trout fishing. Gonna get out ice fishing for the first time in a long time.

mostly I will be spending time on fishing and boating internet forums.

BAitCaster, that pretty much sums up my plans for the winter too. Thinking Ill drop the Outdoor channel and subscribe to WFN or Sprtsman.

Hanr3 said:
Time to do the boat repairs, mods, upgrades I decided on while out fishing this year.

Season?! Quit fishing?! God Blessed Texas! Some of my best fishing days are in the "winter"!

Henry Hefner said:
Hanr3 said:

Season?! Quit fishing?! God Blessed Texas! Some of my best fishing days are in the "winter"!

Semper Fi my friend.
thanks for the ulitmate sacrifice. :USA1: :beer:

Just ONE of the many reasons I moved from Northern Illinois to Texas 30 yrs ago!

I remember the very day that I finally decided to move South. 30 Years ago.... It was about 10 degrees, cold as a Witch's xxx ..I was putting gas in my car....I said "One year from today, I will NOT be here any more." After 40 yrs of putting up with Winter ruining my life....I moved South....

I just bought a new ( to me ) 16 ft Lowe 160W...I would be bass fishing tomorrow if I didn't have to bring it into my mechanic to be certain that all is well with my new acquisition. I will be fishing, at least once weekly..for the next five months.

I will, then, move North to enjoy the Midwest's best season ..Summer...

Rich

BaitCaster said:
I have literally been dreaming about my boat, and fishing, every night for the last couple of weeks. Do I have a problem?
Yes....you do have a problem. But it has nothing to do with your dreams. :mrgreen: :wink:

BaitCaster said:
I have literally been dreaming about my boat, and fishing, every night for the last couple of weeks. Do I have a problem?
Yes....you do have a problem. But it has nothing to do with your dreams. :mrgreen: :wink:

I've been having the same dream.

boating withdrawals stink.

At least we are getting our first real snow of the year. Expecting 3-5". Thinking it's time to make room in the garage for the boat.

Latest posts