State Champs :)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Just a bit of braggin' here :) . We departed town this morning at 0530 with 9 of my students to compete in the State HS Orienteering Championship. Our varsity team took the State title this afternoon (28 total competitors from 7 schools), and the JV team had some good run times, with two of them 2nd and 8th place (out of 60 competitiors) in the individual run times.

Course lengths (navigated with map and compass in hilly terrain through the woods):
Varsity: 4k
JV: 3.2 k

Some happy cadets today who have trained hard, and it paid-off. :

Congrats Waterwings!

I'm sure you had something to do with the team's success.

Nice job.

I didnt even know they had Orienterring Competition at High School.

Is this map and compass or GPS?
How many points do they have to find?

Im familiar with orienteering voia the Marine Corp Infantry and Boy Scouts. We test the Scouts at least once per year, and they put them in charge of our high adventure, its thier job to navigate us for the 50 mile trek.

Sorry if this dont make snese, been pounding a few brewskis after raking leaves for the last 4 hours. Feeling no pain at the monment. :mrgreen:

Thanks, fellas :) .

Hanr3,

It's strictly map and compass, and they had 14 controls to locate (as I recall), with a max time limit of 2 hours. Seems like a long time, but the faster, more accurate navigators normally win, but is not always the case. Our top varsity member came in second on the 4k course with a time of 1:06. One of our new members (has never competed before), a sophomore, had a run time of 30:46 on the JV 3.2k course, finishing second in that catagory.

Here's a link concerning the sport of orienteering: https://orienteeringusa.org/. There's a neat video (O.MOV) that shows you a brief introduction to orienteering. Once the site loads, click on the top video (left side of page) and check it out.

Latest posts