Boat cover form

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
Can anyone help me...I am pretty sure I saw a picture on here somewhere of a frame someone made out of PVC to go under a tarp or boat cover for support. It was really good and I need to make one something like it to keep the rain and eventually snow from collecting in the tarp cover I have. I mostly need to see the 45 degree angle connections again. Thank you in advance.

Are you talking about this thread?
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15932
Scroll down to the black pvc support structure.

There's also this one made from tent poles, pvc, and some bronze/brass fittings from Lowes.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16382

Thank you Hanr3! Neither of those are the picuture I remembered but that first one is perfect. I am currently just using a big tarp with bungee cords and every time it rains I have to bucket all of the water out. That is bad enough but when the snow falls soon it will be really bad. The one picture in the first link is perfect for what I wnt to do with PVC. Thanks again!

OK -- so I figured out how much PVC I would need and how I was going to do this...on the way to get the PVC though I stopped into Bass Pro (which always happens if I am within 5 miles of it) and they had these devices to set in your boat that would make a peak under the tarp for $12.00. Well 2 of those was cheaper than the PVC so I thought I would give them a try. I will find out Tuesday when it is supposed to rain. Here are some pictures of my tin anyway though. Oh-- and disregard the dates...I never set it on the camera, I took these pictures today.

1648_boat_1r.jpg

1648_boat_2r.jpg

1648_boat_3r.jpg

Thanks azslabber...that is a very detailed link. I might just make that one anyway even if these Bass Pro things work OK. I like the additional support a setup like that provides.

Thanks azslabber. I know it is just a barebones. nothing special Jon boat but I really like it and it is the first boat I've ever had. I have been keeping it covered but everytime it rained I had to go out a bucket out the water that collected in that enormous tarp I have over it. I got those things from Bass Pro and it has been raining here the past two days...so far no puddles on the tarp. I hope to put carpet and seats and soem other stuff on it in the spring -- no place to work on it in the winter.

Are you coming back to PA over the winter or will it be spring?

Probably March or April,I've got to ease into that envirnment again.I'de freeze to death in the winter if I came right in,lol.Heck it got down to 57 for a high here yesterday and that was like it being -20 for us.Ha.Good fishing though with hair jigs in 1/80 and 1/100 oz.

LOL -- it was in the 50's here yesterday and it felt warm...I was patching concrete in a T-shirt last night. Glad to hear you are getting some good fishing in though. If you come back in the spring like that you will be just in time for Trout season.

I've used folding lawn chairs before to support the tarp/cover so water will run off. Tighten the tarp/cover down enough and the chair won't move at all.

I build one similar to rellis1962's, but more like another picture that I saw on a thread here...may have been bobberboy's but not sure. It's nothing more than 3' of pvc in a 1' section of 4" x 4". At the top of the pvc is a "T" to run the rope through from bow to stern. The rope's nothing more than something to hold up the tarp so it angles downward shedding all the water.

I'll dig for some pics or just take a new one.

My biggest complaint is that I'd like something that looks cleaner than a tarp, but $10-15 twice a year for tarps at Harbor Freight (and that's the HD silver tarps! The AZ sun eats that plastic for breakfast.) beats the pants off a form-fitting $150 cover any day. What really sucks is that the 11'4" tarp is a little small for my 12' boat, and the 15' x 19' is too wide and has to have an accordion fold in the middle...makes for yuck with rain and tree leaves. Guess there's no glory in being cheap. :roll:

I told the wife I'd by a nice one eventually, after a canopy, new seats, probably some rod or reel (or two) that I'll want when the time comes...you know how this boat stuff/fishing gear works. :wink:

I am totally with you on the price of those boat covers. I also know what you mean about those tarps. We have Harbor Freight here too but I got mine at Ollie's Good Stuff Cheap. That darn tarp is big enough to cover the boat and the trailer but I didn't think the next size down would cover the whole boat as well. It sounds like you guys really have some harsh weather in AZ.

Leave your keys in your black car in the summer and then go in and grab them to start it up quickly to get the A/C on,lol.Better have some gloves on,Ha.Done that a few times.

Latest posts