Organic foods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Organic foods?

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody pony up the few extra bucks for "Organic" labeled foods?

Reading about all the pesticides and stuff put on fruits and vegetables makes me think sometimes. :-k

So is it just BS or should we just buy local and organic?

I believe that organic foods are better for you, but sometimes the extra money really adds up. I think Im gonna try my hand at gardening next year.

I dont go for the whole "organic" hoopla, IMO I think its just used as a marketing gimmick. Anyhow saw this promo for Stossel on the news this morning, thought yall would be interested.

"When you sit down with your family to Thanksgiving dinner next week … Watch out! Your wholesome feast is actually LADEN with chemicals! Your turkey contains heterocyclic amines and your cranberry sauce has furan derivatives! Truth is, all of these chemicals are NATURALLY OCCURRING. They aren’t actually dangerous … but why are people so chemophobic? Is “Natural” food really better?

The documentary Food Inc won an Oscar nomination. It thrilled Hollywood by claiming that big business has made food more dangerous. But the opposite is true. Food poisoning has been decreasing. Should we fear the dawn of “Frankenfoods”? The latest scare from environmentalists is genetically modified foods. John is eager to eat genetically modified salmon. Grass-fed cattle is said to be tastier, healthier and better for the environment than conventional corn-fed feed lot cattle. It does produce leaner meat, but it’s actually WORSE for the environment. As for taste? We'll hold an informal taste test. And organic food claims to be pesticide free … but Alex Avery from the Hudson Institute explains why many aren’t, and that anyway, microscopic pesticide residues don’t harm anyone. In fact, they help reduce carbon emissions, something environmentalists should support.

Is "Natural" better? That's this week on STOSSEL.

Watch Thursdays at 9 p.m. & midnight, Saturdays at 9 p.m. & 12 midnight, and Sunday at 9 p.m. (all times eastern).
"

Complete waste of money. Given all the other crap we are exposed to just walking around everyday, why would anyone believe that eating organically raised food is going to make any great difference in our lives.

Do what you like, in moderation, and you'll likely live as long as anyone else. How many 100 year olds, interviewed on their 100th BD, say the secret to their longevity is something that we've been told is unhealthy ??? Life is a crap shoot. Enjoy it while you're here !!!! :wink:

I'm with Doc on this. I do like to buy veggies from the local farmers markets when in season but mostly because its fresher.

I am with Doc and Poolie...I buy local from farmers markets for frshness and to help local farmers...and also grow some of my own....

Organic Store Foods.....all BS.......

Outdoorsman

Everything I eat comes out of a vending machine and in little sealed packages. I don't think those sprays can get to the food in there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously.....I don't worry about it. If I lived my life that paranoid....I don't think I'd really be living.

I dont pay the extra for organic. I prefer to have foods that are not processed as much. I would rather have fresh vegetables and meats. I think that there is a lot of foods that I may eat that are organic although not labeled as such.

My wife's a Master Gardener and is pretty much an expert on organically grown food vs. food grown using modern farming methods. She never buys anything organic nor grows anything organic. She using modern farming methods in our garden. Never tasted anything better related to fresh vegetables she's grown. If only I could get her to grow a larger garden. May have to plow it myself next year....hmmm....

We've never bought any of the organic foods, primarily because of the cost. We buy regular food (packaged, canned, etc) right off the shelf at the store. What we do that we think is a healthy move, is that we hardly ever, ever fry anything, and we no longer get the fries when we have the occasional fast-food burger. We did have some home fries with supper last night, but my wife baked them in the oven.

I voted yes, but I am thinking about just fresh stuff I can grow, etc., or get at local farmer's market. I am not sure about the stuff in markets, but if it really helps keep chemicals out of the system, it is probably better. I wonder about all the autism, etc., in kids now days. For me, I'm too old to make many changes in my body! But, I was raised eating solid stuff my mother cooked, turnips, collards, corn bread (she made the flat, pancake style on griddle!!), rabbits, squirrels, my Dad and I killed, and of course - the MANY fish we caught! You see this seat (the one I want to move) in my boat? Wow, the fish that has been taken out of lakes, swamps, creeks, rivers, and a few from marshes - I just don't know!

Attachments

• Boat Seat.jpg
    Boat Seat.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 874
Our neighbor has a huge garden and organically grown food just appears on our doorstep throughout the growing season. The only cost involved is a little gas for the lawnmower and snowblower and forgetting where the property line is when I'm using them.
Last year an entire processed deer showed up during hunting season.
Karma is a wonderful thing.

One thing not mentioned yet is the global nature of our produce and the pesticide/fertilizer regulations in the countries that grow our "winter" fruits and veggies.

Where do you think we ship all the chemicals that have been outlawed for use here because they are toxic ?? Yep... the Third World, Central & South America, etc. And the regulations in those countries are not nearly as strict as those here regarding production and use of these chemicals in food production.

If you buy your produce in a supermarket in the winter months up here, the chances are that you are buying and injesting some chemical that is outlawed in this country. #-o

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain

Is this organic?
bambi.jpg

working in the produce department for my local grocery store, I get to see what comes in to the store on a daily basis.... The organic stuff is overpriced in my opinion, and in truth there is very little difference between the two. Taste wise, I have noticed a slight difference in the things like bananas, otherwise, not much difference at all.... If you put the two side by side, you wouldnt be ale to tell me which is organic and which is not....

Just my .02

Having my in-ground pool removed next Spring and am thinking about replacing it with a garden. Home grown is vegetables at their best.