Life vests

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
Just got done watching some videos of children catching fish(on boats) and noticed neither child had a life vest on, is New Jersey the only State that requires a child 12 years and under to wear one at all times? Dont get me wrong, I love this law, just curious to see if any other state has it.

For sure not the only state state requires kids to wear the life jacket on a boat. Illinois, Kansas and I'm sure michigan? does. The ages may vary a bit but law or no law, it just makes sense to have the lil ones wearing wearing one. I have 2 girls 7 & 9 and ya can bet they have theirs on when we're movin. If we're sittin and fishin and the water is calm I let em relax a bit with it.

gouran01 said:
For sure not the only state state requires kids to wear the life jacket on a boat. Illinois, Kansas and I'm sure michigan? does. The ages may vary a bit but law or no law, it just makes sense to have the lil ones wearing wearing one. I have 2 girls 7 & 9 and ya can bet they have theirs on when we're movin. If we're sittin and fishin and the water is calm I let em relax a bit with it.

+1...exactly my policy. When we aren't moving...means the boat isn't even drifting...and if we are in deep water...it doesn't matter. Jackets on!

Wow..I was very suprised after checking the Wisconsin Boating Regulations that WI. does not have any laws pertaining to the age requierment for wearing a life jacket... what I did find was this...

"Federal law requires children under the age of 13 to wear a USCG approved lifejacket while underway in an open vessel on federally controlled waters."

I suppose this is something but with all the inland lakes in Wisconsin that are not federally controlled, I am wondering why we do not have a sate law to the same effect...but then again, any law is only good when people obey it....like others here, children (as well as myself) ALWAYS wear a life jacket in my boat....adults are free to make the decision for themselves, but because I want to be able to help others if we end up in the water I always wear mine...not to mention being knocked out in a severe accident and ending up in the water out cold....

Outdoorsman.

Outdoorsman said:
I always wear mine...not to mention being knocked out in a severe accident and ending up in the water out cold....

Outdoorsman.

There's the reason I always wear one. You can be the best swimmer this side of the Mississippi and drown in two feet of water if you are knocked out. You will then be of no help to anyone else that may have been in the boat.

Wisconsin—along with Virginia—remains one of two states that doesn’t require children to wear life jackets while boating, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

No life jacket, I even drank from the garden hose, didnt wear a seatbelt, no bike helmet, and yet here I am.

Not the governments job to tell me to wear a life jacket or anything else for that matter. If I want to be a receipient of the Darwin award that is entirely up to me. Just saying....

KMixson said:
Outdoorsman said:
I always wear mine...not to mention being knocked out in a severe accident and ending up in the water out cold....

Outdoorsman.

There's the reason I always wear one. You can be the best swimmer this side of the Mississippi and drown in two feet of water if you are knocked out. You will then be of no help to anyone else that may have been in the boat.

Same here, I only wear it while underway though. If I get in really swift water i will keep it on.

Any kid on my boat has to wear a vest. It's not only a state law (12 and under) but also my rule.
Hanr: great line about the Darwin Award :lol:

I wear one while underway or while fishing alone. But fishing with someone else, I figure they can hook me and bring me back to the boat if I'm silly enough to fall in.

My kids always have one on unless we are in really shallow water.

wasilvers said:

Depth does not really matter if you bump your head and fall face down in the water - i suggest that your kids ALWAYS have one on no matter where you are fishing

KMixson said:
wasilvers said:

Do you know how many people have drowned in a ditch?

How's this, I am paranoid about my kids drowning, but also want them to have fun on the water. Seeing them pull and tug at the lifevests, knowing they are uncomfortable is hard. So if there are 3 people in the boat, and we are in <3 feet of water, and they can swim, they don't have to wear it. I figure with 3 people, at least one will be conscious should we all fall in.

It's really no different than fishing from shore... and I don't make them wear life vests then either.

I wouldn't dream of taking a kid out without a vest on.
I also make it a point to wear mine when I have anyone that wouldn't know what to do on board.

I don't worry so much when it's just me or the guys.

KMixson said:
wasilvers said:

Do you know how many people have drowned in a ditch?

The difference is that when the kids are playing, they are being watched, and if a problem were to arise, the rescue would be much simpler. In deep water, a simple matter of grabbing a child and pulling their head above the water is suddenly a much bigger issue. Also, the PFD doesn't guarantee that the wearer will float right side up, so in relatively shallow water, if face down, the PFD isn't necessarily going to right them.

I don't generally have younger kids on my boat, but the few times they are, the PFD is on the entire time. In the lake, I usually wear one when running, but not always. A judgement call is made, which factors in lake conditions, boat in question, etc. In a high performance bass boat, yes, it is quite important, as when running those, you are sometimes nearing the upper ends of the boats capabilities. If I'm in a pleasure boat or bay boat sort of deal, I often won't wear it, unless lake conditions (including boat traffic) are rough, as my chances of leaving the boat are much less.

I rarely wear it when the engine is off, except for sometimes when I'm in a river below a hydroelectric dam, when generating. Completely different animal than a swift river - slow, peaceful, but POWERFUL. Very easy to get complacent in something like that.

Latest posts