Any workout guys here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I haven't worked out a day in my life. When I was younger (before kids) I used to play basketball a fair amount and lots of volleyball (5-6 nights a week). Currently I am limited to 1-2 nights a week of good, break a sweat play. I'm now 36 years old and my weight hangs around 220-225 - a fair amount of that around my middle.

If possilbe, I'd like to be <200 by mid February (big vball tourney) and around 190 and fairly 'fit' by summertime (summer tourneys start).

Does anyone have time to tell me where to start? How many of what excercise (I can look up details on how online...)
Here's the equipment I have to work with (and stairs in my house). I can't do gym time with the family and the long work hours coming with tax season.

Thanks for any help,
Will
workout2-1.jpg

Not a bona-fide expert but plenty of experience getting new recruits and Soldiers into shape. Dropping the weight shouldn't be to difficult. 1st, cut portions out of meals, start eating about 3/4 of your normal intake, it'll take about a week or two for you body and mind to recognize it is running on less and then you just simply will get full quicker. If you drink coffee, drink it black, it burns calories for you. Basketball def helps for cardio but I'd suggest atleast 3 days a week running/jogging/or very fast walking (the walking will work things you never new you had) A lot of it is also mental, set monthly or even weekly goals of say 7 LBs a month not the long term goals of 50LBs. The will be periods that you drop nothing, don't let it discourage you. With the weight training, use smaller amounts of weight and more repititions 5 sets of 15-20 reps. You will be cutting more and building less mass. If looking for long term mass, weight until you reach your desired weight, attempting to turn fat into muscle is pretty much as counter productive as it gets. Best of luck to ya.

Always remember that weight loss is a combination of diet and exercise. Eat wisely, and consult a nutritionist if you have to. You'll burn more calories sticking to the cardio vascular workouts. Toughest part is the diet. There it's a case of will power and mind over matter. It's hard (for me at least) to stay away from the sweets when they're out and available. It would be easy for me to just not buy the stuff, but the gf is always buying it for the kids. That's where the will power comes in. Good luck with it.

angry Bob said:
Always remember that weight loss is a combination of diet and exercise. Eat wisely, and consult a nutritionist if you have too. You'll burn more calories sticking to the cardio vascular workouts. Toughest part is the diet. There it's a case of will power and mind over matter. It's hard (for me at least) to stay away from the sweets when they're out and available. It would be easy for me to just not buy the stuff, but the gf is always buying it for the kids. That's where the will power comes in. Good luck with it.

Good advice here. Also basic sit-ups, push ups, walking etc. will help.

Believe it or not, I used to work out a long time ago.

Start out slow, listen to your body, track your progress, track what you eat and make improvements every week. Some people can go cold turkey, some can't. Everybody can make little changes at a time. The main thing, this is a change for the rest of your life, if not, 6 months to a year after you stop, you'll be right back where you started from, plus more.

There are thousands of weight lose programs on the market. The best one is what your doctor recommends.

Def no expert here, but I have lost 44 pounds in less than 3 months.... I have not gone to the gym, nor have I done any sort of conventional exercise. What I did do was change my diet almost completely.

I totally eliminated soda and sweets from my diet. For the first 2 weeks, all I ate for dinner was salad. I would add a very small piece of grilled chicken. Lots of water. Also started eating breakfast as soon as I got up. IT kick starts the metabolism. went to skim milk instead of 2%. In substitution of the sweets, I would eat fruits. Grapes are ridiculously low in calories and offer a ton of antioxidants. I would literally eat a 2 lb bag a day. Watermelon also heped cure my sweet tooth. Things I learned about fruits is that they pretty much all have antioxidants in them, and that it is alot easier for the body to break down the simply sugars in fruits vs the sugars in all the other deserts we buy.

Like mentioned above, cut down on your portions. Instead of going for seconds, drink a large glass of water. Dont eat late and then go to bed. I wait a minimum of 2 hours to go to sleep after eating anything...

I know some of this may seem extreme or whatever, but I looked in the mirror one day and didnt like what I saw. I have quite a few more lbs Id like to loose.... my exercise routine will kick in pretty soon and Im sure the rest of the weight will pour off.... Do cardio stuff like running/jogging....

Good luck to ya!

I used to lift weights a LOT. I'm 6'2" and at one time, I was 225 lb w/ 34" waist. Now I'm 210 with 36" waste. (yes, play on words "waist/waste intentional) :mrgreen: I was very lean and pretty big. If you want to lose weight....do lots of reps with lighter weights 4-6 sets of 15-20 reps. To gain muscle and bulk, which will add to your weight cause muscle weighs more than fat....lift heavier weights with less reps 3-4 sets with 3-6 reps (all with an appropriate warm up). Already said, but saying it again...drink LOTS of water. Eat foods that are high in protein. Protein is energy and energy burns calories. Eggs, red meat, chicken, etc.. For your goal, seriously watch your white flour carbs and cut out as much as possible. Give yourself a meal a week to cheat on your meal, but NOT with quantity. Eat crap if you want...but in moderation....and only 1 meal a week.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on progress.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. I believe I can do this, and with my wife on board, it should be easier than in the past. Usually i just diet hard and run like crazy and get down to 210, but no lower. This time, it WILL be different.

I like the grapes/watermelon and vegetables idea. I can do that if I can eat some good stuff once in a while.

Latest posts