bio and Starting school in january

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

Reaction score
Given that I have not been on the forum all too long, I figured Id give a little bio on myself....

I was born and raised in miami, florida where I was lucky enough to boat and fish year round. MY grandparents have a lake in their backyard so from the time i could stumble around, youd find me by that lake edge with a rod in hand. As i grew older, saltwater fishing become a passion.
After graduating high school, I took a couple college classes, and in all honesty, was bored out of my mind. While going to school and working, I met my wife. During this time, I decided to postpone school, and I got a job at a local bank as a teller...through smart decisions and great success, I was promoted to mgr within 6 months.... I stayed in banking for approx 4 years, making a good living and enjoying life. The only thing that really bugged me was that I didnt enjoy what I did.... I would spend 80% of my day thinking about the water, fishing, and planning the next trip (mind you, I was already fishing 5 days a week, be it before or after wk, etc).
I decided to leave banking behind and pursued getting my captains license so that I could become a guide. Though a long and somewhat tedious process, I got my USCG OUPV license and began my dream job. As with all business', they take time to become successful. I quickly established a steady clientele, and felt like i had hit the lottery. Approx 6 months into my venture, my wfie gave birth to my daughter.
A couple of unfortunate situations arose, the biggest one being that my mother in law was diagnosed with most debilitating form of MS (Multiple Sclerosis). A decision was made to move up to ocala to be close to her. It has been about 8 months since we came up here, and in all honesty, I feel like I made a big mistake. I traded in my happiness to please my wife and mother in law, but now am stuck working in the only place that would hire me.

So, after much debte, I decided it was time to go back to school. It looks like January 23rd is going to be my start date at MMI (Marine Mechanics Institute) in Orlando, FL. The program is M-F, 5+ hours a day for a year (51 weeks). I am really excited to get started and looking forward to getting back to something I love. I will most likely head back to Miami when school is done as there is a huge market down that way. That and Id be able to still guide/fish the waters I know well. :p

I look forward to also being able to help everyone here with their motor issues once Ive graduated. Sorry for the long read, just looking to share and vent....

-Capt Dan

first of all welcome back. Also, good luck in MMI hope you find much success.

I know it seems tough, but families make sacrifices and it sounds like you have made a large sacrifice. But remember for every door that closes another one opens. Best of luck and remember, its only a year!

Cap'n.....
You are certainly in the right place to "vent". As I'm sure you already know...this is the best forum on the web with even better members. I wish you the best of luck with your MMI training and will send a few prayers your way that you find happiness again soon. I can assure you that your wife is appreciating your cooperation and support for both her and your mother in law. The right decisions aren't always the easiest, and there's never a guarantee that they will make you happy. Hang in there...and great to have you here!

It was a tough decision you made, but given the same circumstances I would have done the same. Knowing what we know I think you made the right choice. Just think, if you hadn't made the move you probably wouldn't be starting at MMI which sounds like a great thing to have on your resume.

PS: Glad your here!

Thanks for sharing....

The work will come back. Being there for your Wife and MIL during a hard time like that won't.

You made the right decision!

Best of luck in your schooling.

I think you are making a good decision. With ethanol, 4 cycles and the need for expensive test equipment one would think that marine machanics would be in demand. Those guys charge a lot of money and they are always behind.

Dont be like me! Get a degree that acutally justifies the cost of the education.

I wish you all the luck in your new venture, I live in NE Fla & glad you're getting the opp to get in school.The times now I think have taken there toll on all of us.I wish for the best for your family on these holiday seasons & everybody else that reads this post.

Thanks for all the warm wishes. Sorry if it came across as a sob story, just getting some things that were on my mind out in the open... Always helps when you have good people around.

A little off topic here, but has there ever been a tinboats bash/get together? I realize most of us are spread throughout the state, but itd be cool to have a get toether to put faces to the names we see on a daily basis (again I realize I havnt been around too much, but I will be :mrgreen: )...