Hardcore fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
I watched John Gillespie's Water and Woods this week. He filmed the show on Dec 1, fishing for walley on a river. Temps have been in the 20's lately and it's been pretty cold. They took an older aluminum boat out first and just drove around breaking up the ice on the river so so they could vertical jig. While fishing, they had to dodge "iceburgs", and even landed one walleye on an iceburg first before they brought it in the boat. They looked like eskimos out there with all their puffy and layered clothing on. I've never seen anyone fish in snomobiling mittens, but it can be done.

That's what I call hardcore fishermen.

Thats what I would call Wisconsin fisherman.... :LOL2:

https://www.lake-link.com/boards/forums/viewposts.cfm?Thread_ID=86266&ThreadTypeID=38

Outdoorsman.

How about hardcore campers?

1032342.jpg

Yes, that would be me in the orange hunting hat. All nice and warm.

I remember musky fishing years ago with my father and brother, and having to chip ice off the levelwind....COLD stuff.

On the same lake years later I was doing the same, and almost went in....Being a pork chop, and having all kinds of heavy clothes on, and water temps in the high 30's I'm sure I would have been a goner.

I couldn't get the stinking M/K powerdrive motor to deploy so I kicked it and that was when I almost went all the way in.

I won't fish by myself in that kind of weather anymore.

Hanr3 said:

1032342.jpg

If the end of the world ever happens, I'm gonna seek you out. Seems you know how to 'survive' :D

Hanr3 said:

1032342.jpg

Hey Hanr....that's really a great time if you can stay warm. Years ago, I used to go out to our property when we had the biggest snow of the year for what we called the "Winter Freeze Out". We took a handful of friends and made a lean-to or three or four, put the blue tarp down on the snow and threw our sleeping bags on top of that. We had a fire pit about 8 feet in front of us and kept the fire burning and reflecting the heat back to us. We would stay there and play for 2-3 days, sometimes, in a foot or more of snow. Those were great trips.

LOL That man has a throw tarp and some line...that's freaking gangster.

Haha not to toot my own horn and qualify myself as hardcore, but me and my buddy did this last spring when the ice started disappearing. I was so miserably cold that our lines froze in our line guides.. try picking that backlash out with frozen fingers :shock:

I remember saying "this is one of those times when we'll look back and say "wow, we were stupid in college"". At least I realized it at the time :roll:

This past weekend was my latest attempt at being 'hardcore'. My brother wanted to do a little scouting for a tournament he's in this coming weekend, so Sunday we launched at daybreak on Lake Lanier with 31 degree temps and a steady wind of 15-20 mph with gusts 30-35 mph. We tried fishing the protected coves for a while but only produced one 3 pounder on a buzzbait. It was obvious that the bass were out on the main lake where we could see white caps and it looked more like the ocean than a lake. We braved it for a while, but had to tie on a 1oz jig just to be able to throw it without getting a backlash every other cast. Was definitely the worst conditions I'd ever fished in. 5 hours of that only produced 2 fish.

I must be crazy because even though I was frozen head to toe I had a great time.

I'd tend to lean toward fishing in cold weather as not being so hardcore if you're heading home at the end of the day, but if you're camping and fishing, that's tough. Hanr3 is definitely hardcore...I've camped in cold weather, but we had a tent, not just a tarp and some rope.

In my younger days I used to camp a lot. During Christmas break from high school I would go camping for a week or two at the time. I would take no food and eat only what I could catch or kill. I have also gone hungry for days at the time doing that. Squirrels were my main dish.

Hanr3.... you da man...

I like to claim hardcore, and ice fish.... but really I drive up, drop the gate, drive the ATV off the trailer and drag out our portable ice shanty... it gets so hot in that thing that we bring a piece of ply-wood so we can take off our boots without getting our toes wet... :lol:

Yea, I'm a little hardcore. Been camping for 40+ years. The last 20 yrs. at least one weekend a month every month of the year, except December. I'd be happy to teach anyone how to camp. Been teaching Boy Scouts and thier parents for over 2 decades now.

One of my favorite fishing trips for years has been to Lake Ozarks fishing for White bass an Hybrids the first or second weekend in Nov.. Sure eyelets get ice in them but you have to dress accordingly to keep you warm.. Dip the ole rod in the lake and keep on cranking. The big thing is if temps stay below 32 deg. for several days before you go the ramp will be very cold. After putting your boat in the lake and pulling the trailer out, you get water on the ramp which freezes and it can be a real chalange to get the boat re trailered when your ready to call it quits. We have helped pull more than one persons vehicle up the ramp.
We always look like a bunch of robbers with our ski masks on.
Peace and joy......Merry Christmas to each of you
Ron

I spend lots of time each winter out anywhere from 40-80 miles cod, sea bass and black fishing, fishing. It gets really cold and the salt water freezes to the boat in huge chunks.

seabass2008009-1.jpg

CBass063.jpg