My Winter Project (new photos added Dec. 30, 2010)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
This will be the 4th year I have built an ice rink in my back yard. It's a lot of work (many cold evenings spent in the back yard flooding) but it is a labour of love. My kids really enjoy having their own rink and it gets lots of use.

So here are some pictures of the boards and lighting from a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping to get the liner in soon and start flooding. I will update.

Attachments

• IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 974
  • IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 974
Now, that is the way to make winter bearable! Good job! Me, I know I was born for the tropics, even here in so-called Deep South it's too cold for me old bones. My house in GA was 16 F. this morning! Here in MS, about 35 F. Post a photo after it is done... what a great idea!

I built and maintained an ice rink at a place I worked at a few years back. The best investment you can make is in one of these: https://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/180-0496094-5754416?asin=B0000DJEFQ&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0000DJEFQ&CPNG=sports&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0000DJEFQ&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Don't buy one though, just build your own.

well, you live in the perfect locale for that anyway :lol: Hope your family enjoys it for years to come. =D>

That's cool dude. How long does it take that sucker to melt in the spring? :lol:

Somewhere about 40 or 45 years ago I built a similar ice pond for a park district in Northern Illinois. I was a volunteer who knew nothing. When it was done.. (amazing.. it worked)...I was proud as punch. When my dirt side walls failed a few weeks later...during a Winter warm spell.... I found how little I really knew.

Nice job. Very professional. I wish I knew you when I needed that knowledge. regards, Rich

Brrrrr.....I'm cold just thinking about it. But I will admit that it's a cool project. Bet the neighborhood kids love it.

That's freaking awesome...how did you ever get that idea? It's great fun for the kids and you don't have to worry about them falling into the lake if the ice is too thin =D>

The dimiensions are roughly 15x30. Surprisingly it ltakes very little time to thaw in the spring, but takes a pretty long time to fill with water, 2-3 days and even longer to freeze.

The backyard rink is a canadian tradition. When I was a kid we used to make them by tramping the snow and then slowly sprinkling with water until you had an ice surface. it took a long time and was hard work. These days the common practice is to build a frame and then line it with a water-proof plastic liner. It's quicker and you don't have to start all over again if there is a warm spell.

My kids are on the rink every day after school and usually back out again after dinner.

Thats awesome. When I was a kid we used to play hockey on a friends homemade rink. Had a lot of fun. Thats cool your building one for your kids. Nice job.

I saw a flash on the news today about a full sized artificial ice rink. Googled "artificial ice" and found many sites. Here is only one. Wonder how much $$$ those things cost?

It would be nice to have my grandkids ice skating in my back yard...here in Houston, TX...in July! Ha :) regards, Rich

https://globalsyntheticice.com/

I think there is an artificial ice rink somewhere in Atlanta. Couple folks tell me that the artificial ice (I don't have a clue if it is the same as what is in the link) is quite hard to skate on.

Got the rink flooded and frozen over the holidays.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2599.JPG
    IMG_2599.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2595.JPG
    IMG_2595.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 252
Excellent job and even better pictures....Thanks for sharing...

I was always amazed at how a sports arena could have a hockey game on one night and a basketball game the next night... both on the same floor....

Outdoorsman

Latest posts