perchin ~ AIN'T NO FLIPPIN WAY!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
:sick:

I could barely watch this without feeling sick :oops:

[youtube]vQzPB7RkFKA?version=3[/youtube]

I've made a bunch of skydives from 15,000+ feet but that video scares the living daylights out of me. No way!

I had the chills their whole way up that tower. I couldn't amagine doing that job. No room for mistakes there.

These spiky flowers on long stems are used to skewer and slice you up before you fall to your death!

Let's see.....

Climb tower to the top or I'm going to put a bullet in your head........

Hmmm....need help with that trigger? There's no friggin way Im going up there!

At 7 minutes and something I was screaming don't let go! Get your hand back on that pole!! The thought of not holding on to anything and being 1700 ft. with only about a foot of metal to balance on!!!

Must be tough to get life insurance in that profession!

I hope you get paid LOTS of money for that job. I would never/ever do that - Never - never -ever do that.

As I was watching that, I kept thinking, "Hey, that looks kind of scary, but I could totally do that!" but then he got to the base of the antenna and had 60 more feet to go and the bottoms of my feet started hurting because I kept thinking, "He's out of his frigging mind, how could anybody even contemplate doing that?" No chance I could ever pull that off, I'd probably need to include a fresh pair of underpants in that tool kit.

That video made me bite a hole in my drawers.
:shock:

I had a death grip on my mouse watching that.

I think it would be cool to do, but my legs would turn to jello.

I have walked some small beams at kind of high elevations, but nothing close to that. Plus, two guys had to stand on that tiny "platform" at the top?!?! I feel like a pansy now

:lol: :LOL2: :mrgreen: When I read the title to this thread...I thought :shock: uh-oh...I've said something very bad or something...lol

Yeah.... that's not the type of tower you climb as a beginner. We wouldn't let anybody but the most experienced go above 600ft.
I have to point out that his comment on Free climbing is 100% NOT TRUE...osha would never deem it ok, and these ya-hoo's would be immiediatly fired if they worked for us. [-X

perchin said:
:lol: :LOL2: :mrgreen: When I read the title to this thread...I thought :shock: uh-oh...I've said something very bad or something...lol

Yeah.... that's not the type of tower you climb as a beginner. We wouldn't let anybody but the most experienced go above 600ft.
I have to point out that his comment on Free climbing is 100% NOT TRUE...osha would never deem it ok, and these ya-hoo's would be immiediatly fired if they worked for us. [-X

So.....Perchin.....What's the highest tower you climb?

If you do some research, that video isn't supposed to be out there anymore. Gist of it is the company that contracted that work flipped out about the liability...

In the Navy we had the rail that you had a slider that clipped into so you were always locked in. I don't understand why they don't do that with these commercial towers?

Jamie

fender66 said:
So.....Perchin.....What's the highest tower you climb?

Sky's the limit... though Its been a good while since I've been released from the office... and it shows.(I can see less of my feet) :roll:

Ranchero50 said:
If you do some research, that video isn't supposed to be out there anymore. Gist of it is the company that contracted that work flipped out about the liability...

In the Navy we had the rail that you had a slider that clipped into so you were always locked in. I don't understand why they don't do that with these commercial towers?

Jamie

yeah....I seen this video a long time ago...and it got deleted. Its been re-uploaded thousands of times, and youtube and yahoo can't keep up with getting rid of it.
as far as a rail.... we have a much safer route (see photo below)... While being ranked #1 most dangerous job in the world, its about 98% human error every time. :wink:

saftey climb.jpg

That's similiar to what we had on the ship except it was a rail with notches that the clip would grab on if you slipped. My SPS-49 radar antenna was only 70' above the waterline but it was treacherous the one time I had to go up during a swim call off Bermuda.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
That's similiar to what we had on the ship except it was a rail with notches that the clip would grab on if you slipped. My SPS-49 radar antenna was only 70' above the waterline but it was treacherous the one time I had to go up during a swim call off Bermuda.

Jamie

I was sent up the mast of my first ship to do some welding and kept dropping the rods once I got up there. Kinda hard to weld when you have a death-grip on the ladder, lol. We had the climber safety rail with the notches too, and the mechanism was always a nut-buster :shock: (maybe because of the way I climbed........real close to the rail, lol). I don't do well with heights.

Waterwings... That's funny.

I'm pretty sure I know what them rail systems are. They still use them in water tanks.

If I hadn't passed out part way up, I'd have to have stopped to empty my drawers a few times on the way up. Those climbers seemed pretty casual about having their safety harnesses clipped on to anything. I guess it would be cool to be at the top but not cool enough to justify that kind of recklessness.

Latest posts