Rod, Reel & Tackle storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should post this under some other heading so if it it wrong someone let me know.

I read an article that said you should not store your fishing line in extreme temperatures because it reduces the life and increases memory. So I got to thinking that it probably wasn't all that healthy for the reels either. I wanted to move my sutff into the fairly constant temp of the inside of the house but the wife is fairly picky about being neat so I was looking for something nice to store my rods, reels, tackle bag and other things. The ones I saw at Bass Pro got really bad ratings (same at Cabelas) and I looked for myself at the store and they are junk. :idea: So I was thinking of building my own. Have any of you guys done this? I have some ideas but I thought who better to ask than you guys. I am hoping that you guys can make suggstions that might make it a truely custom rack with features I may not think of. I was thinking that as I get the project going I can post pictures too.

Thanks guys -- let me know what you think.

Not sure where you intend to store your stuff - I use a massive overhead rack in the garage, reel handle fits in one hole and then the rod fits through teh hooked slot to keep it above. Cannot find teh photos now but can take more if you want.

I know a few guys who make this out of PVC and some wood to act as a stand up rod holderPicture 125.jpg

I built mine out of 1x6 boards on the top and bottom and four 3/4 inch dowels, two on each end. The dowels are about 36 inches tall. I cut slots in the top for the rods to stand in and shallow holes drilled into the bottom for the butts to sit in. I put wooden molding along the bottom to dress it up, then stained and varnished. I'd take a picture but it's in a storage room right now full of other crap we need to toss. If you do build one, keep your rods vertical not horizontal. Leaving them horizontal can cause your rod to form a permanent bend, or so I read many years ago. I don't know if that applies to new graphite rods.

pharaoh2 said:
If you do build one, keep your rods vertical not horizontal. Leaving them horizontal can cause your rod to form a permanent bend, or so I read many years ago. I don't know if that applies to new graphite rods.

That no longer applies - unless you are still using a pure fiberglass rod

Hey thanks guys. I was thinking along the lines of something like this:

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Solid-Hardwood-Rod-and-Reel-Cabinet/product/10204533/-1634378

Actually, the one that was $149 is not listed on the site anymore but they all got bad ratings. I got a Berkley rod holder that I am going to attach to the one side to keep the rods vertical and it is going to be bigger. I am thinking about 30 inches wide, 18 inches deep and about 6 feet tall. I want to have drawers in it able to hold 370 boxes and have a top shelf to hold my tackle bag. I am still working on the design a bit. Thank you all very much for the info and suggestions. If I can figure how to draw it in Visio I will see if I can post the design on here.

i have the one from bass pro shops in your link My wife bought it for Christmas last year.
it is nice and works well it is a bit small for my tackle. but then again i have a lot of tackle.
I use it as my printer stand and to organize my rods and gear before a tournament. for me in that use it is perfect

while making comments about my fishing tackle storage shortage,. my wife made an interesting observation....Maybe it is you have to much stuff.".....They just don't understand the need for stuff until you challenge them about how much of the closet space is theirs compared to yours. It gets me a dirty look but the questions are put to rest for at least 3-4 months.....
ron

while making comments about my fishing tackle storage shortage,. my wife made an interesting observation....Maybe it is you have to much stuff.".....They just don't understand the need for stuff until you challenge them about how much of the closet space is theirs compared to yours. It gets me a dirty look but the questions are put to rest for at least 3-4 months.....

Ah truer words were never spoken...my wife has a whole walkin closet and I have a very small crowded one...at last count she had over 200 pairs of shoes -- not counting the boots!

My wife says I have too many rods also... what she doesn't know is that I have two reels for most of my rods. I fish one lake that has crystal clear water and needs lighter line. I found it easier to just have two reels, one with 8# line and one with 14# line. Probably cheaper in the long run since I'm not re-spooling all the time.

Mine are all piled in teh corner in my office, so no help with organization.

Hey Poolie maybe that is a good idea to NOT be organized. If they are all neat and tidy it is easier to see how much gear you have...i may want to put a lock on this thing. :lol:

:postpics:

And...nobody has addressed the "extreme temperature" issues in the OP. My gear is still well protected and under cover in the boat and VERY cold. Maybe I should go take it out and warm it up?

Hey, fender, the other part of the whole thing is that if I have it inside I can look at it, mess with it, organize it...you know anything to keep me occupied until I can USE it in the spring. :)

OK -- so I have the plans drawn - It is going to be 6 feet tall over all (not counting the casters) 30 inches wide and 18 inches deep. It will have 3 x 10 inch deep drawers (which at almost 30" wide can hold 14 x 370 boxes standing on their side) and 2 x 6 inch deep drawers for reels and cleaning supplies and a shelf above the drawers to hold my takle bag, then another shelf above that for books and DVDs, it will have a rack on each side that will hold 5 rods and reels each.

Now I am showing this to my wife and telling her that I was planning on making it out of MDF with a wood grain laminate - she says I thought you were going to make it out of "real wood". She thinks it will look nicer. What do you guys think? I am going to try and scan the drawings I made (but aren't very good) and post them so you can see the plan.

if you are gonna do it ...do it right real wood Oak always looks good. or a nice cherry if you like the darker look

Most of my rods are stored in my shop. I have a few in my 17' tin boat boat that is kept in the shed. None of it looks real pretty but it works pretty good. As far as my fishing line that is still on the spool, I keep these inside an ammo box that is kept inside the house.

OK -- I don't draw very well and I didn't know how to draw the casters at all but here is my plan;

RodRack.jpg

Iswoody -- At this time of year i really envy your location...it never got out of the 20's here today. I know there are places colder but I am pretty sure it is warmer there. :)

Latest posts