Epic Fail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman138

Reaction score
Well my girlfriend's brother-in-law and I had plans to go catfish fishing yesterday. Personally, I wasn't ready to put my boat in the water yet as I wanted to wait until everything was completed. So on New Year's Eve we go to take the boat to a landing just to put it in the water, for the first time in over a year, to check for leaks. Of course there was a leak around my livewell pump which I was able to fix by tightening the screws and some 5200. First sign we should not have gone out. Then I realize that I didn't have the fitting for the the fuel line to connect to the gas tank. I am a complete newb with this stuff and again wasn't prepared to take the boat out yet. 2nd sign.

Yesterday we go to Wal-Mart, get the fitting for the gas tank (we thought). We were able to get fuel to the motor and thought all was well with that. I was confident the motor wouldn't be an issue because I just had it checked out.

About 3/4 of the way to the landing and we realize that we never put life jackets in the boat. So this starts a journey to find life jackets as we were a long way from home. We checked 3 wal-marts, a target and a Kmart with no luck. 3rd-5th sign to not go. Apparently no one needs life jackets in the winter. We finally found them at a Dick's and even they had to get them from their store room. At this point we are so frustrated and ready to go home. He was more frustrated than I was because he doesn't get a lot of chances to go fishing.

We go to a different landing than planned since it was closer to where we were now. Put the boat in the water. Look in the back of the boat and there is gas coming out of the fitting for the gas tank. I had to disconnect the hose to stop the gas from coming out. Then we try to get the motor started and the fuel will not get to the motor. We try and try and nothing. So the boat goes back on the trailer. And we go home. We drove the boat around 185 miles yesterday, so the good news is that the trailer is in good shape...

Come to find out the fitting that he bought for the gas tank works for every motor but Yamaha. Overall an awful day. No other words to say besides EPIC FAIL.

Cave, be thankful everything happened close to the dock, things will get better.

I'm so accident prone... and as much misfortune I encounter, sometimes I believe there must be a higher power stopping me from catastrophe by throwing all it can at me, in order to derail me from the task at hand. Be glad your safe, healthy, and still have a great boat sitting on the trailer. :wink:

shamoo said:
Cave, be thankful everything happened close to the dock, things will get better.

x2. Had one of those last year, Took time off work to go fishing, broke a fuel fitting, finally found a replacement for $15, but needed 2 pieices, so $35ish, got caught in bad traffic, finally got to the ramp 3+ hours late and there was NO parking left. I finally just came home. Nothing like visiting 6 different stores, but it was frustrating. I think I just organized lures that night.

I don't see that as epic fail. You started off with you and your girlfriends brother-in-law wanting to get out for some fishing. The only thing you failed at was going fishing, you succeded at fixing a leak, getting new life jackets and an extra fuel fitting that could save someone elses day out on the water. I would just count that trip as a skunk. But when you do get to use the fitting so someone else can do some fishing one day you can add 1 to your creel at the end of the day.

Better luck next time. :cheers:

I had one of those on my first outing of the year last year.

Within 20 minutes of getting on the water, my buddy managed to get his line devoured by my trolling motor. When I took the prop off to cut it out, the shear pin dropped to the front deck and "plop", right out into the lake. End of trip.

I also had one on my last fishing outing.

Motor across a stump filled shallow flat for over 20 minutes to reach the fishing grounds. Get there and my two buddies immediately got up on the front deck with me for some unkown reason, sticking my trolling motor into the bottom and breaking the plastic piece that the pull rope ties to for the latch pin in the process. No way to lift the trolling motor to get back to the ramp without removing the entire unit and laying it on the deck. End of trip.

I'm hoping my first fishing trip out this year is not a repeat of either of those.......

I was the other idiot half to this day. Looking back at it today it doesn't seem like such a big deal. At the moment of leaving our 4th store that didn't have life jackets I was in full melt down mode. But like had been said we did get some bugs worked out.