Wanted - crappie videos/books

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Does anyone have any crappie fishing videos or books you want to sell (or loan) me?

Basically I'm a noob when it comes to crappie fishing. I've only tried fishing for them sporadically, but get discouraged and go back to bass fishing. I had some success once last year when we stumbled on them feeding voraciously (caught 30 in 30 minutes), but that once a once in a lifetime event I'm sure. Also last year I tried catching them with jigs, had no luck, but then a guy came right behind me and cleaned up with live minnows. This year I bought a portable baitwell, have the rods, have some jigs , have the boat, have some kids ready to start reeling...
#-o But don't know where to fish #-o

I don't have any books or vids to lend, but I'm betting you can find a ton of info if you searched the web. Even YouTube should have something.
Try this for starters: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crappie+fishing+tips&aq=2

You also have a wealth of info here on TB. Ask a question and I bet you get answers. :D

Im not a crappie chaser, but my dad and his friends are. When I tell them I wanna get into crappie fishing, they all recommend crappie.com. I havent checked it out yet(waiting until spring when they are easy to catch :D ), but according to them, it has an abundance of information for people wanting to get into crappie fishing.

fender66 said:
Here we go....weeeee....A bunch of crappie info! :LOL2:

LOL

Thanks guys. I've watched about 80% of those on youtube last year. It gave me ideas, but they didn't pan out (pun intended). I even asked for help on a specific lake, followed the instructions to a "t" and only caught a TINY yellow perch - but I did mark things on the fishfinder, so I believe I was in the right spots.

Maybe I'm just not doing it right, or I give up to soon and switch to bass fishing. I think I'll make a 'journal' of fishing tips by species this winter. Then when I hit the water, if (when) something isn't working, I can go down the list of options.

Been on crappie.com and a few others too.

Crappie are fickle beasts. I'll start hitting them hard when the water temperature starts to get around 50 degrees. That's when they start staging on the creek channels and bay flats in anywhere from 20 to as little as 8 feet of water around here. They will move to the shore to spawn when it hits 60-65 degrees.

Around here, the black crappie love small chunk rock and gravel banks and the whites will be found around wood when they spawn. The black crappie also seem to head to the bank earlier and stay later than the whites do, temperature wise.

I spider rig for them and it's not uncommon to have 100+ fish days when they really get cranked up and the small fish start biting.

I've always had my best days, although haven't gone after just crappie but a handful of times, when I'm fishing with minnows. I've used crappie jigs a couple of times this year and caught some, but not as many as with minnows. They are a GREAT fish to eat, so I usually try to get some every year. Last fall, I went out with freetofish (Ron). We were on the water for about 5 or 6 hours and cleaned maybe 16 or 18. There were times during that day that my fish finder was filled top to bottom left to right with fish on it. They just don't always bit though. Still fun to go after once in a while.

I have a couple I could send you. 1 or 2 VHS and at least 1 DVD. PM me your address and I will send them to you.
I have In-Fisherman Crappie wisdom and 2 different Babe Winkelmans videos, Crappie majic and understanding crappie.

I noticed last night that they had redone the arrangement of that page that I linked to earlier. You have to look on the right side in the filmstrip for episodes that would contain tactics.

Latest posts