Now I always have a book with me...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
When I bought my first Smart Phone..I figured it could do lots of things. One that I didn't think of, but I think is great..is that I now always have a book with me.

Barber shop; Oil changes; Auto repair; doc's offices etc. you need something to kill time.

I read that I could ...free and legal...download a "Kindle for Android App"...( There probably is a "Kindle for the IPhone", too.) I also found that I could download about a million FREE books. Everything published prior to 1923 is without copyright restrictions.

Big spender that I am..I chose to download, from Amazon, a book of 78 Jack London Short stories.... for 99 cents.

So, while waiting for my wife at the doc's office this week, I was reading "To Build A Fire" by one of the early 1900's greatest outdoor writers. Sure beat reading the nine month old People's Magazine that lay on the doc's table.

regards,Rich

Jim I am not clear what you mean by "throw the pdfs you download into the dropbox" What dropbox; what pdfs; and how do I get info over to my droid? I am new at this droid thing. Rich

richg99 said:
Jim I am not clear what you mean by "throw the pdfs you download into the dropbox" What dropbox; what pdfs; and how do I get info over to my droid? I am new at this droid thing. Rich

I use a website called 4shared.com and look up pdfs..mostly techie stuff but they have allot of others.

I also opened a free dropbox account https://www.dropbox.com. You can even download the dropbox app on your PC and then sync files on the fly.....killer.

I then upload all my PDF's there.

I then download the dropbox app for the droid/ipad, and connect to my dropbox anywhere and open the PDF's right from any machine I am on.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ha! For now, I'll just read the books. But, I get the idea and if I was still gainfully employed...that would be a great way to keep up on technical reading.

As of now, though...I am retired and have six Saturdays and One Sunday every week. Going fishing on Monday. Thanks and regards, rich

No.... I did not see that post. Looks like it would be a good idea. I'll look into it soon...but...probably not until after the NFL games this weekend. I have them recording now. We will watch them later this evening.
Rich

Just downloaded the Kindle app for my blackberry and at first impression it seams pretty cool! All I need now is to figure out where on my phone to put the files when Im able to download the book(s) on my computer.

I am retired and have six Saturdays and One Sunday every week. Going fishing on Monday.

You CAN'T go fishing on Monday cause you don't have a Monday! Six Saturdays and one Sunday every week....that doesn't include a Monday now does it!

....c'mon man.....don't rub it in so hard. I'm so jealous! :mrgreen:

Jim you sound like me!!! I love my dropbox!!!! And having my Nook app on my phone as well as being able to read pdfs!!!

I do a TON of reading on an iPod touch that I *ahem* "borrowed" from my fiance. I really like it and I plan on buying a B&N Nook in the near future.

If any of you other guys are into reading book on your smart devices or eBook readers I highly suggest you download and install calibre. It's a program that stores and organizes digitial literature. It supports a TON of formats and will even sync with a wide range of devices. It will even download newspapers and journals. If you read on a eReader or smart device you need this software.

I know that sounded like a pitch, but I promise, I'm not getting paid by Calibre. Oh! And it's free. I forgot to mention that.

Download:
https://calibre-ebook.com/download

I too carry a book with me everywhere I go. Have for decades. Granted its a hardback and weighs a few pounds more than yours. :mrgreen:

Jim - any chance tinboats will be on tapatalk? I searched yesterday and couldn't find it.
I beleive you can still show advertisers headers there because one of my other forums does.

Or should we build a tinboats app :)