Word of advice to you younger guys...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I spent some time in an antique mall today looking for a part for an old Marx train. I happened to see some old lures in a couple of shops at prices that nearly made my heart stop. Seems like you young guys should put your unused lures in a safe place for about 40 years and cash in for retirement. It might be safer than banks and 401K's. Instead of an IRA account you can start a Lifetime Using Recreational Enjoyment or LURE account. You could even make withdrawals without penalties, unless you lose them on a submerged tree or something. Anyway, in these uncertain economic times, my advice is invest in lures.

bassboy1 said:
Lures? I'm thinking land. 8)

Real estate, no thanks man. I very shrewdly got a divorce about 5 minutes before the housing boom became the housing bust. My ex bought me out at the height of the market, otherwise I would have seen 20 years of hard work come to nothing. It's going to take a very long time for property to appreciate to the levels it had, if it ever does. I guess a young person can take that chance, I'm going fishing instead.

Yea, I bought the mighty Bites on purpose for just this reason, and the rocket pole :LOL2:

IM cashing out baby in another 40 years! :mrgreen:

So what lures are we looking at as good prospects for the future? Hard swim baits? Super spooks (I have a bunch of these LOL)

I bet those dusty soft plastics stuck to the bottom of my tackle box will be worth something someday. :D

I'm thinking that if I buy stock in the lure companies that I like....then when I go on a spending spree for more lures, it will be like I'm paying myself dividends. :LOL2:

Right?

Shoot, I was just watching Pawn Stars, and a fella brought in a display case of 100 lures. They ranged from old Rooster Tails, and Hula Poppers up to the old Heddon Torpedoes (got a few OLD ones of those myself).

Pawn shop paid 1000 for it, and they don't usually buy something they can't make a profit on. I'd bet that back when new, not a one of those lures was more than 2 bucks, and they just sold for 10 a piece, and that wasn't retail.

bassboy1 said:
Shoot, I was just watching Pawn Stars, and a fella brought in a display case of 100 lures. They ranged from old Rooster Tails, and Hula Poppers up to the old Heddon Torpedoes (got a few OLD ones of those myself).

Pawn shop paid 1000 for it, and they don't usually buy something they can't make a profit on. I'd bet that back when new, not a one of those lures was more than 2 bucks, and they just sold for 10 a piece, and that wasn't retail.

That's what I'm trying to tell you...and you can't take land to the pawn shop. You don't have to fence in lures, pay property taxes or specials on them, no insurance or having to remove noxious plants and weeds. You just buy 'em, fish 'em and put them away in a box for 40 years and bingo, it's paydirt.

The difference in those lures that bring in high dollars, and the one's we can get today are quantities produced. There weren't many of some of those baits made, but you can get a lot of stuff now from Wal-Mart.

Latest posts