slab foundations???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
The fiance and I are looking at this jouse to purchase and one concern is a slab foundation. The house was built in 1970 but has been gutted down to the 2x4s and everything new put in from wiring to roofing sheetrock etc...

Not sure about th pipes though. Does anyone on here own a house on a slab foundatuon versus a crawlspace or basement.

Help me out guys. I made a list of pros and cons and the pros seem to outweigh the cons.

So those of u that own or have owned a slab foundation home let me know!

https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/dixie_boysles/2011-01-15125339.jpg

https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/dixie_boysles/2011-01-15125403.jpg

https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/dixie_boysles/2011-01-15125455.jpg

https://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/dixie_boysles/2011-01-15125559.jpg

Hopefully they didn't put any of the plumbing or the hot water heater in the attic. That's where you will generally run into trouble first.

I like basements (walk out to be specific). In the Midwest, most houses have them. Can't help with advice....sorry.

I owned 2 homes in FL on slab foundations but that is standard in FL as basements tend to flood there. I would ask the owner when the renovations were done, and about the pipes. You should have access to the attic space, look there as well. I would assume water pipes are run thru the concrete slab rather than overhead in the attic. If one breaks etither way, problems. Looking in the attic should incicate where the water pipes are, make sure no part of the HVAC or drain lines are in the attic as well due to clogged lines, etc, and resulting leaks. you could always have a licensed inspector do an inspection which could be the best $$ you ever spent in finding out issues. GL

Hey D-B, you have asked a very complicated question.. As a Retired Home builder and then with years of remodeling experiance, I will tell you that the slab homes, at least here in the St. Louis really can present some big problems. The biggest potential problem is termites. I know they are pretty bad in N.C. Those little critters will find the smallest of cracks in concrete and in they come. Most will not only be there for lunch but will stay for dinner too. Storage can be a problem unless you have an out building. Adding on is always tough due to getting the new slab to be exactly the same height and praying that the soil compaction in the addition matches the existing. Furnace has to be on the main floor or in the attic which can cause some noise problems. Everything just seems to work better over a good depth crawl space or basement.. (Crawl space depth from bottom of floor joist to top of dirt is 18" In our area) My opinion If this is going to be a home that you intend to live in forever, you might reconsider..
I don't aim to be negative but you asked and I answered.
Peace
ron

I just noticed the flooring in your photo's...Looks to be a product like Pergo or its real oak...One of the problems with slab floors is the moisture which is almost always present in concrete. If the flooring has been put down as a "Floating Floor" its probably alright. It would be a concern along with the floor being a little cold.
Good luck on your decision. It sure is a nice looking home.
Peace
Ron

thanks guys, seems that though all me reseach today, it gets mixed reviews. some either hate them or love them. not really making it any easier.

there is a saying we have at work:

"Its whatever a man gets used to" I think applies to this so well.

Ok here gos, I just got out of the concrete business after 10 yrs pouring basement, 90% of homes in the south are on a slab, 20% or so in the north are on slabs. I originated from Michigan, My last house in Mi was slab on grade with a ratwall "12" deep trench around perimeter", and slab on grade with a 42" block foundation we added on 20 yrs ago. huge difference between the 2 I might add. It is simple, the pros to a slab is price, and price only, the cons are endless. If i was shopping for a house in Mi, I wouldn't consider a slab, since I live in Ga I have to, because that's pretty much all there is. If I was building here or there the only minimal option would be a crawl space, much rather have a basement. Now to the mold and such, the house has been standing since the 70's, any damage is already present. have it inspected for termites and mold if you are considering buying, If it is a huge house storage isn't really an issue anyway, Crawl spaces are useless storage IMO anyway, so even a crawl space house generally wont have any additional good storage, A block wall slab is better for heat, pests, etc. Its a big investment, dont let anyone persuade you either way, you have to pay and live there, so you need to be comfortable with the choice. :)

the last house i lived in was on a slab. It was also 50 years old. I rented this house so i deidnt care but I could tell there was not moisture barier applied and there were many cracks. It was also located in an area were the ground moved alot. There was no bed rock just sand and clay, it was so close to see level that if you dug down 3' water would start to fill up the hole.
i would be concerned about moisture and land movement.

A friend of mine has a slab on grade house. It is fine. The most important thing is to get an inspector in. They will see all the things you may miss or the previous homeowner tried to hide.

Latest posts