Carry firearms

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonhig

Reaction score
Hey Gents,
Not boat related I know but I'm certain there are more than a few firearms enthusiasts amongst us so I thought I’d get your thoughts. The folks on this board are from all over the country and even our friends to the north are big participants. Having said that, each state has various laws regarding the right to carry a firearm. I’m from NJ where they (The Government) is not particularly firearm friendly. However, I’m retiring soon from law enforcement and will have the ability to carry as a retired police officer. I’m shopping for a carry weapon....leaning towards a compact 9mm. My duty gun is a Sig P-228 that I like but it’s kinda big. Anyone have any suggestions, opinions or experience with this?

I see allot of buzz going around about the new 380s out there. Particularly the Sig 238 and the S&W Bodyguard 380 with built in laser. Would you consider downsizing to a 380?

I carry a S&W M&P9c. That is about as big as I want to carry myself.

Would you consider a revolver like a Ruger LCR or S&W 642?

I have a stainless S&W 62 but it's the brides range gun lol.. I like 9mm and was looking at CZs and Rugers new compact the SR9. I'm gonna swing by the gun shop tonight and try on a few.

I am waiting on my background check to get my conceal and carry and then I am good to go. It will go through for sure but here are my thoughts - In the Winter months I plan to carry a Glock .45 compact - the reason for this is I wear more clothes in the winter and that gun is easier to hide with more clothing. The 45 is just about the same size as the 40's or the 9's but, God forbid, I have to use deadly force against someone, lets just say a .45 will get them to the ground a little fast than a 9 or 40 and the bullets aren't that much more in my part of the country than the 9 and cheaper than the 40.
In the summer I plan to carry the 380 I have. It is a Bersa I originally bought for my finace and it will save me some money in buying a new weapon by just using hers.

As far as other weapons, I shot the compact Glock 9, I forget if it was a model 19 or a 17 and that is a great gun there. Not too much kick and it was easy to shoot. I am a Glock fan but I am also a huge fan of S&W revolvers. You can't really go wrong with a revolver IMO.

At the risk of stirring up the old 9mm vs .45 debate, I carry a Para Ordnance Para Carry .45 everywhere. Having worked in a morgue I've gotten to see what works and what doesn't. Not to say the 9mm doesn't because it does, but my personal opinion is that the .45 just gets the job done better. I also have a couple blasters in .40 but the .45 is my go-to gun day in and day out. It's smaller than the full-size .45s I have and is relatively easy to conceal.

59 different opinions here...

https://www.lake-link.com/boards/forums/viewposts.cfm?Thread_ID=86494&ThreadTypeID=20

We do not have conceal carry (yet) in Wisconsin but we do have legal "Open Carry" (go figure)
My preference for reliability has always been a revolver. Mine is the Taurus "Judge" - 5 shot, 6.5" barrel, will shoot 45 Cal. and / or .410 shotgun shells not real accurate at long range, but plenty of stoppping power.

I also have on my holster belt a couple of ready to go speed loaders in leather cases, as well as a leather spare bullet carrier. Not much of a conceal carry set up but gets the message across whenever I open carry (which is not to often).

There is talk of passing either conceal carry or (preferably "Constitutional Carry") in Wisconsin soon now that we have a new governor in office. For a conceal carry wepon I would go with either a snub nose revolver in a higher caliber or a semi auto in a 45 .cal. ... Colt makes nice guns...

Outdoorsman

I'm from NJ as well and have a zero percent chance of every being able to carry in NJ. :x If I could I would look at the Ruger LC 9

4.50" High
3.12" Barrel
7.10 oz Weight

I looked at a Springfield, a Glock and the S&W MP9 that Jim mentioned earlier. They are all nice and have about the same features and price (a concern). They didn't have the Ruger or CZ I was looking for but they did have a full size Ruger 9 that was nice. My buddy bought the Judge that Outdoorsman mentioned...that's an animal. Kmixon that lil 380 Ruger is a popular backup weapon alot of guys carry, they had a pink one in the shop....politically correct version I suppose. I need something that can easily handle a Law Enforcement style qualification shoot as we are required to do that 2x a year.

I would carry Single stack 45 1911 as my first pick, its slimmer than most think(single stack for ya) next I would choose a 40 if you still think the 45 is too big and last but not least my favorite trusty 357 snubby. Thats it. I have a pocket gun I use here and there when needed and its a keltec P32.

I have carried from a 25 caliber up to 9mm, P-32, 380, 357, 40 cal, 44mag, 44 special(shouldn't have sold this one) and a 45. so my favorites that I can justify are the 357, 40 and 45

But the lovely thing is the veriaty choice 8) :lol: :LOL2: :mrgreen: =D>

Jonhig,

Check here for more info: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16737

Also, search for "concealed carry" or other probable titles, this topic has been talked about a lot on this site.

I too am a retired police commander (30+ years) and I have several guns ranging from 357 Colt Pythons (1-4", 1- 2 1/2") Beretta Lynx 22 pocket gun, Mauser 380, another .25 pocket gun, Glock 22 (duty weapon for last 15 years) . I haven't gone to look at it yet, but I like the sound of that Glock 26 - I'm gonna look at that for a year-round concealed carry and sell everything else except the Pythons :)

To be more specific to your question, I would look closely at any of the Glocks that the size/caliber work for you. It is a great gun....

FWIW, I read a discussion that a guy that does autopsies for a living in Atlanta had on a different forum..he said after years of cutting open dead bodies, he wouldn't carry under a .40 and he prefers a .357 Magnum or a .45. Just about anything is better than a knife though.

Springfield has a new XD-M Subcompact 9mm. Holds 19+1. Thats my next gun. I have a XD9 SC that Ive run over 600 rounds through without a jam or misfire. Good guns

I just did this and went with the Glock 26 9mm with a crimson trace laser. I love it, but wish I could afford a nice kimber. I also really liked the springfield XD's. If there is one brand I would not get it would have to be ruger. Every ruger I have shot has jammed within 10 shots. I recently have started shooting every weekend, and my neighboor gets so flippin mad about his lcp jamming that its become a bit of a running joke.

Here is something to consider.....

https://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Interesting to see what everyone carries/likes! I have shot many of the models listed here and they all have different advantages. I love my springfield armory XD Tactical 45. LOVE IT. but it is large for conceal carry. I then use a Glock 23 (40 cal) for general conceal carry. If I need to downsize to a pocket pistol, I have a little Beretta Bobcat that slides right into my pocket!

I carry three of these at different times, the Kel Tec PF9, Rossi .357, and the Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact. The Taurus is my main carry gun.

Como008.jpg

As of last night I had it narrowed down to two pistols...#1 Kahr P9 and #2 Kimber Ultra Carry II. Me and a buddy went to a really nice shop with a big inventory. It was like a toy store for adults with firearms addictions. Kimber makes you wait 6 to 8 months for their gun and Kahr is readily available. I ordered the Kahr and waiting on my permits from the local 5-O. Maybe I'll order the Kimber as next years Christmas present to self. Thanks for the input guy, much appreciated.

FishinsMyLife said:
FWIW, I read a discussion that a guy that does autopsies for a living in Atlanta had on a different forum..he said after years of cutting open dead bodies, he wouldn't carry under a .40 and he prefers a .357 Magnum or a .45. Just about anything is better than a knife though.

How would he come to that conclusion? .22 or .45, if the body is in the morque, it did its job!

(Just being devil's advocate :wink: )

All I've read is carry something comfortable or you'll stop carrying it all the time. If I was going to war, I'd take a high capacity Glock, but for a small light carry weapon, I'd look at a small wheel gun either 38 cal or 357 if you wanted more stopping power.

Latest posts