so you think you've been out in rough water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymanme2

Reaction score
How would you like to fish in these conditions? :lol:

Better hope the bilge pumps are working

They're in a tin too,just a real heavy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByGSMmenPDM&feature=player_embedded

Waterwings said:
The water looked a bit calmer further out. Wonder why they didn't try to navigate around the really bad stuff?

WW - they were crossing a bar to get into a harbor entrance - you really do not have much choice as that is the only way in (or out). You have your deep channel and then as it meets the ocean you have a large sand (or rock) bar that is built up as a result of the current 9tide) sweeping in and out 4 time each day. Do not know what the tide is like in New Zealand but here we get about a 5-6 foot tide - trillions of gallons of water going through a narrow spot make for some fast currents (like a strong river) and can stack the waves right up on any depth change

At the Indian River Inlet we get good 10 foot waves if there is any sort of NE wind

Here a shot of Indian River Inlet, DE from the bay side:

https://www.delawareliberal.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IndianRiverInlet_small.jpg
indriv2.jpg

And from the ocean:

indriv2.jpg

All that water has to go in and out that little narrow opening - so you can imagine what that does at the peak flow of any tide. Even in the big boat we can get turned a little sideways on occasion - although we usually just power in at about 45 knts (mostly in teh air!!!)

Here is a vid of recent winter storm in Manasquan Inlet NJ - that parking lot and guard rail are spots were lots of people usually can fish from - not that day!

Watch the waves move the concrete bench

[youtube]4KEROt3zsmM[/youtube]

Thanks for the info, Cap'n. Didn't realize they were transiting an inlet. One thing I learned from my 8.5 yrs of sea duty..............................respect Mother Nature, or she'll eventually get you. :)

Waterwings said:
Thanks for the info, Cap'n. Didn't realize they were transiting an inlet. One thing I learned from my 8.5 yrs of sea duty..............................respect Mother Nature, or she'll eventually get you. :)

Same goes for most females #-o

Excuse me,,,,,,I need to go take a Dramamine.......or two
thats unbelieveable footage...I will never again complain about the choppy water I fish
peace
ron

I've been on a 50' tug in 24' swells in the Bearing Sea. talk about a rough ride. I felt like a bobber in rough water. :sick:

An old Chief Petty Officer once told me, " it aint rough until you see white caps in the tolet bowl". We were in the Sea of Japan during a winter storm the water was sloshing out of the tolet bowls. The waves were breaking over the Wheel House.I Was stationed aboard the USS Epperson DD719.

Latest posts