Snow on the bank of the Cedar River

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilmutt

Reaction score
I live near the headwaters of the Cedar River in MN. The 300 miles of the Cedar River that runs through Iowa has been listed as the 5th most endangered river in the country. Farming practices are listed as the main cause of pollution and flooding.

https://www.americanrivers.org/assets/pdfs/mer-2010/cedar_factsheet_2010.pdf

I went out today and took a couple of pictures of the city of Austin's contributions to this problem. The city removes snow from the streets and piles it next to the river, when the spring melt starts all of this flows in to the river (water, sand, salt...). Rules are being reviewed at this time that will prevent these piles of snow within 300 ft of the river, but the city engineer of Austin is fighting these changes. I think I may pass along these photos, along with some once the melting starts, to some of the communities that are downstream.

IMG_2525.jpg

The river is on the right side of this picture.
IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

The Cedar is about 300 yards from my house, they should stop that. Its pretty common around here to not eat fish from the river, but some still do.

Reminds me of the Illinois River. You can eat only so many of the fish per month according to teh DNR.

jixer said:
The Cedar is about 300 yards from my house, they should stop that. Its pretty common around here to not eat fish from the river, but some still do.

Yes, they should stop. I sent the pictures to Iowa Rivers Revival. I think it's a matter of poor leadership and not being concerned with what happens downstream.

man thats alot of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hop esome kind of regulations come from this. its ssad to think of all the damage the salt is doing. sad

I sent the information to a group called "Iowa Rivers Revival", they provided me with the contact info of the two persons that started the Cedar River Watershed Coalition. I forwarded the info to them (Senator Rob Hogg, and Kamyar Enshyan), I haven't heard back from them yet.

Thats good that your getting somewhere, and finding people that care.
I stopped by the roller dam after work today and watched the bald eagles hunt for awhile, its really a cool river. I just wish the water was better.
Good Luck.

you could also forward it the EPA. But then again they are the federal gov't so probably won't get you anywhere.

devilmutt said:
I sent the information to a group called "Iowa Rivers Revival", they provided me with the contact info of the two persons that started the Cedar River Watershed Coalition. I forwarded the info to them (Senator Rob Hogg, and Kamyar Enshyan), I haven't heard back from them yet.

I have not heard back from Kamyar Enshyan as of yet, but I did receive an email from Senator Rob Hogg. The Senator informed me that "I don’t really have time to follow up on this", and directed me to Bev Nordby of the Cedar River Watershed District.

I sent Bev Nordby an email asking about Austin's snow removal practices, she informed me that The Cedar River Watershed District is now in the phase of developing rules that would prohibit this practice.

Subd. 4. Other Activities in the Floodplain Prohibited

. Snow storage from any off-site location, storage piles, or other floodplain impacts shall be prohibited in
the Floodplain.

cedarriverwd.org.

The problem with this is the Austin City Engineer is against this rule change due to increased cost and he does not feel that storing the snow away from the river will solve the issue.

An article that was in today's Austin Daily Herald.

County stands against CRWD snow removal rule
Published 7:52am Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Local officials aren’t wavering in their opposition to a snow removal rule that could end up costing the city, county and businesses.

The county board stood firm in its opposition to a potential Cedar River Watershed District rule that would require the city and county to haul snow outside the flood plain.

“I don’t think we could afford it unless we were showed there was some real danger or harm being done to our river,” said Chairman Tim Gabrielson at Tuesday’s county board meeting.

The CRWD delayed submitting its rules after groups expressed opposition to the rule. Gabrielson said adequate proof hasn’t been given to show moving the snow is worth the added cost. While Gabrielson expressed pleasure with the rule being delayed, he expressed concern that it’d eventually pass.

https://www.austindailyherald.com/2011/02/02/county-stands-against-crwd-snow-removal-rule/

I went ahead and forwarded a few of the pictures to the EPA and recieved the following response.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been out of the office and have gotten behind on my e-mail response. Below is information on the Clean Water Act requirements for storage of snow in the floodplain or along river banks. As indicated in the information from Brian Bell you probably should contact John Thomas at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency at 218/723-4928.

We appreciate your interest and concern for water quality and in protecting our rivers including the Cedar River

bill franz

Bill Franz
Upper Mississippi River Team Manager
312/886-7500
312/697-2096 fax
Bill,

EPA HQ developed the following response regarding snow dumping directing into waters. The second paragraph gets at Mr. ****'s question. I would suggest that he speak with John Thomas (218-723-4928) of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency regarding the State policy for snow storage.

"The Clean Water Act prohibits the discharge of pollutants from point sources into waters of the United States except in compliance with requirements, including permit requirements, under the Act. Therefore, disposal of snow and associated road salt, sand, trash, oil and grease into rivers and other surface waters is a point source discharge that requires a permit under the Clean Water Act.

To protect water quality, storage and disposal of snow should be done exclusively in upland areas, not in or adjacent to water bodies or wetlands. However, under extraordinary conditions when land-based snow storage options are exhausted, EPA recognizes that, to protect public safety and control flooding, it may be necessary to dispose of snow collected from streets and roadways directly into certain water bodies. Entities faced with lack of options for land-based snow storage should notify and consult with the permitting authority (EPA or the State) before disposing of snow into surface waters. Additionally, some states may have provisions or policies governing snow removal and disposal. "

Brian Bell
Regional Storm Water Coordinator
U.S. EPA Region 5
Ph: 312-886-0981
FAX: 312-692-2029

Latest posts