Musky Fishing...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
A few of us hi jacked a guys thread BIG TIME, and it was mentioned that we should start a new one, so here it is. :lol:

I suppose I'll start roll call... I'm in for a southern WI musky meet this season. Maybe we'll get a schedule set up closer to opening day.

Also, can anyone recommend a good musky casting rod. I'd like it to be somewhat inexpensive and I'm going to pair it with a Penn Levelmatic 940 that I got from a friend a few months ago. I'm probably only going to be throwing baits in the 1-3 ounce range. Large bucktails and mid-sized cranks mostly. (Anything under 1 ounce I could probably just do double duty with a bass rod.) Maybe an Ugly Stik? A Shimano Compre or Convergence?

FishyItch said:
I suppose I'll start roll call... I'm in for a southern WI musky meet this season. Maybe we'll get a schedule set up closer to opening day.

Also, can anyone recommend a good musky casting rod. I'd like it to be somewhat inexpensive and I'm going to pair it with a Penn Levelmatic 940 that I got from a friend a few months ago. I'm probably only going to be throwing baits in the 1-3 ounce range. Large bucktails and cranks mostly. Anything under 1 ounce I could probably just do double duty with a bass rod. Maybe an Ugly Stik? A Shimano Compre or Convergence?

I've been looking too. I was looking in the $160-ish and under range......I've got a mish mash of Musky rods, but the nicest two are Gander Mountain rods....The wife broke one of mine, and I'm going to replace it with another. Hard to beat for the price. The Guide Series are what I have. They were like 60 or 80 bucks when I got them.

Keep in mind that a Musky rod doesn't have to be as light and sensitive as a bass rod.

I had an old Ambassaduer 523 laying around and cleaned it up, and slapped a new handle on it. The thing was always really stiff even when new. I used it very little.....(had it since the early 90's)

I think it's old school cool. All metal construction (heavy metal) except the magnetic side plate, magnetic cast control, line out alarm, low profile reel, that is made in Sweden.Picture 126_1022x768.jpg

LonLB said:
I've been looking too. I was looking in the $160-ish and under range......I've got a mish mash of Musky rods, but the nicest two are Gander Mountain rods....The wife broke one of mine, and I'm going to replace it with another. Hard to beat for the price. The Guide Series are what I have. They were like 60 or 80 bucks when I got them.

Keep in mind that a Musky rod doesn't have to be as light and sensitive as a bass rod.

That's true, especially since I really only need something that will be able to handle my baits that are over an ounce. Anything under an ounce, like my favorite #5 Mepps, I'll probably just tie on to my heaviest bass rod. (Come to think of it I need one of those too!) I just don't want to stress a rod throwing a 2 ounce crankbait.

ps: Sweet redo on the reel.

I'm up for a muskie fishing meet - though I've never tried it before. Think it would be fun - but let's get it done this summer. My FIL wants to go, but he was given the long face from the doctor last month. Don't know if he'll be up to it in fall.

Yea, count me in June to Sept....WI/ILL preferably. Rich

p.s. I'll have to "back seat" with somebody who is in a tinny, unless you let me bring the Caro Skiff fiberglass for the one time meeting. RG

I'm in...

Anyone have a particular lake in mind? Something south of Appleton would be nice, since I'm a bit farther away than you guys.

Or if ya'll are willing to come to MI, I could set something up. You can camp out at our house....Nice big back yard, a creek full of big bass, a permanent fire ring, and access to the lake (not a musky lake-we would have to drive about 25 minutes for that)

In fact I think that would be fun. Camp in the yard, like I said, the wife and I can cook Breakfast each morning for everyone, and then we could all chip in for dinner and do some grilling.....Or if you want to go off and do your own thing that's fine too.

I looked up the driving time from here to Milwaukee and it's 4 hours. :|

I didn't think it was that far.

This Feb 5th there is a Musky Show in Monroe MI....

Also, there is one in Milwaukee in a couple weeks....

Michigan show https://www.michiganmuskieshow.com/

Milwaukee show https://www.muskieexpo.com/

I went to the Milwaukee show in 06'. Was a good show I thought.

wasilvers said:
I just bought a few muskie lures today in prep for some muskie fishing this year.

Can't wait!

What did you get?

BTW if we can organize some sort of a meet, I have a few rods/reels I could let others use.

LonLB said:
wasilvers said:
I just bought a few muskie lures today in prep for some muskie fishing this year.

Can't wait!

What did you get?

BTW if we can organize some sort of a meet, I have a few rods/reels I could let others use.

A light and a dark mepps #5. Have a northern or two to catch around here to.

wasilvers said:

Those #5 Mepps are deadly so hang on. I have 8 or so. Big bass, northerns, muskie... there's just something about them.

I just got a few Mepps tandem musky killers from ebay. Can't wait to throw those, but they're about 3 times the weight of one of those #5's. I need to get a bigger rod!

Well looks like the first club outing is May 21st here in MI so that's my deadline for the boat.

I've been working at it slowly but it's time to get in gear.

You guys come up with a lake over there?

FishyItch said:
wasilvers said:

Those #5 Mepps are deadly so hang on. I have 8 or so. Big bass, northerns, muskie... there's just something about them.

I just got a few Mepps tandem musky killers from ebay. Can't wait to throw those, but they're about 3 times the weight of one of those #5's. I need to get a bigger rod!

I've heard they are deadly, but I just never fished one before. Do you run it just under the surface, a few feet down, or ? I'm such a noob!

I have caught a couple of muskie, purely by accident while bass fishing. Never got one in the boat though. Felt like I was pulling up a log and then when they see the boat - quick head shake and snap, they are gone! I've had a few follow my bait up to the boat while bass fishing too. That will put a quick fright into you.

wasilvers said:
I've heard they are deadly, but I just never fished one before. Do you run it just under the surface, a few feet down, or ? I'm such a noob!

When fishing for northern and bass I usually run them between 2-4 feet over weedflats or along weed edges. They can be burned faster right near the surface and that's a sight to see even a smaller northern take a swipe at that. A slowed down retrieve will get them to run a little bit deeper, but I don't think I've ever fished them deeper than about 6. The larger musky killers will run deeper.

Also, as far as lakes in Wisconsin go. I think anything in south-eastern will work for a lot of us. I've heard Pewaukee and Oconomowoc (if that's how you spell it) are good musky lakes, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Latest posts