Southern WI Members - Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
I have a group of poker buddies who have been taking spring fishing trips for the past several years - Fremont for the walleye run on the Wolf River; Lake Erie walleye charters; Lake Michigan Charters for Coho, trout, etc.

We are thinking of a cabin or hotel in lower to middle Wisconsin on a lake this year. Any help/suggestions/locations/resorts, etc you WI guys/gals can offer???? We were thinking about Lake Wisconsin, north of Madison, there is a couple of resorts and the Bridges Motel there, but isn't that a wide spot in the river? Doesn't matter if the fishing is good :)

So, any of you cheese heads got any good suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Wisconsin Dells is a great area, not sure if the Lake has recovered since the dam broke a few years back.

Pettenwell Flowage is another great fishery, a very large fishery and full of places /resorts.

Further North is Minaque and Eagle River which is on the largest fresh water chain in the world.

Wish I could help, haven't fished up there much, and don't know about the resorts. If you try lake-link.com - I've asked questions on there and always gotten advice from guys who seem to know a lake pretty good.

How many guys, and how much is each guy willing to spend...

I know of a great lodge in MI....Not much in the way of lake fishing, but it's on the Pierre' Marquette River.

Great log cabins with card tables, fire places, hot tubs, pool tables, BIG kitchens.....They can usually set you up with a bunch of extras too...

Both trips I went on, had a cab service setup for us to go to the bars fri and sat night, and one day had a couple come in and cook our breakfast for us, bacon, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, fresh fruit you name it....I think they can set that up for dinners too, but I can't imagine it's cheap.

The name is the Barothy Lodge in Walhalla MI.

You might be able to find some charters on lake Michigan out of Ludington which is about a 35 minute drive.

https://www.barothylodge.com/

I knew then to enjoy those trips because they might not happen again...Companies can't blow money like that in this economy....All the beer and liquer you could drink, GOOD cigars, all the Ribeye, and Filet, smoked turkey, smoked salmon dip, chili you name it, you can eat. Hell they even payed for my trout stamp, and waders etc.

BTW I just checked their site.....The lodge I stayed in was the Whitetail. You will NEED to call them for rates. They list as $70 and change per person, but most of those have a minimum number of people......The whitetail ends up being close to 1k per night. But split between several people it isn't bad....

Also, there is NO surprises here. I've been to places that looked great in pictures on the internet and turned out to be dirty or dumpy. These places are nicer than they look. Even the bottom of the line "Log Cabin" I checked out in person last fall....Much nicer than in the pictures, and reserved it for a weekend over my wedding anniversary next summer.

LonLB ---------Well, that looks like a great place -BUT... very expensive, very elegant, looks like trout fishing, way to far north to go, and way to fancy for us.

We are 6-9 persons, looking primarily for walleye - bass/crappie, looking for a fishing cabin on a lake, not a trout stream - also, don't want a charter for coho/lake trout, etc on Lake Michigan - we can do that from here in Illinois.

Mostly looking for a good resort, preferably lower to middle WI - 3-5 hour drive, that someone has been to and could recommend and is a good fishery.....

Hanr3 ---------- thanks for the response - but hoping for some specific info from someone up there who knows or has been to a resort/lake.

wasilvers------------ I was hoping you had a suggestion since you live up there? but, thanks for the response....

Any other cheese heads with some info???

Sorry Fishincop I always go further north than that, and it's always for bass. I have fished lake WI before and it was a total dud for us, but again that was for bass. We just stayed at a dive hotel for a couple of days on that one.

Lake Wisconsin is a good lake, but not really much of a bass lake. More of a walleye fishery. Even though I grew up within about 15 minutes I've only fished it a few times though, so my advice is merely anecdotal.

I would second Petenwell, too.

FishyItch said:
Lake Wisconsin is a good lake, but not really much of a bass lake. More of a walleye fishery. Even though I grew up within about 15 minutes I've only fished it a few times though, so my advice is merely anecdotal.

I would second Petenwell, too.

Walleye is our preference :)

how far (hours drive) is Pettenwell further north of Madison?

FishyItch said:
Probably about 2 hours. Not more though.

Thanks, that's 6 hours from here then, we were hoping to keep it around 4 hours, but not a big deal - trying to find some place close that we could get to on sat, fish, stay over night, fish Sunday morning and get home at a reasonable time. A place we could drive up to several times during the year for short weekend trips.

Looks like the consensus is to go back to Lake Erie - leave Thurs after work, charter on Friday, have dinner relax, stay Friday night and drive home Sat.

Still looking for a good fishing lake no further up than Madison for short weekend trips??

Latest posts