quit smoking?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paDale

Reaction score
I need to lose a little weight.My big problem is to quit smoking.I passed out in deer season this last fall. Had random tests doc. said heart was healthy but needed to quit smoking. any sure fire cures?

Wish I knew of one, longest I quit for was about 8 months................ Then I started bumming a few here n there which grew to 2 packs a week................. Right now im 2 days into quitting cold turkey again and if I can make it through day 3 I can usually be good for a few months. Pretty sure ill be smoking again come May, 6 hours stuck in a car with Esquired will do that to ya!

Man, that's hard to do but you gotta wanna. I quit 18 years ago while my mom was living with us recovering from cancer surgery. Lots of stress and tension in the air but it was time. I used nicotine patches and they helped a lot. I didn't want to but had to or cancer would be in my future too. You'll be surprised by how your habits are connected with smoking. Smoking actually takes up a lot of time and completely dictates your routine. For months after I quit I would still pat myself down to be sure I had my smokes and lighter with me when I headed off for work. I still after all this time would like to have a cup of coffee, a big hunk of chocolate cake followed by a cig. You need to change the habits that made it easy to smoke. It takes a little while, but try to avoid situations where smoking is too easy. If you hang out in the garage because you can smoke there, maybe make a place in the house to hang instead. Going to bars is hard but actually now in MN you can't smoke in them anyway. Try for some exercise too, especially aerobic exercises that get your heart and lungs going - it makes smoking kind of a drag - sorry about that, but you get the idea. Know that it's the right thing to do. Know that you will be healthier and live longer. Know it's for your family too. And hope you can spend the extra dough you'll be saving on fishing gear instead. Good luck.

I quit the day my son was born on 09/11/01. It has to be one of the hardest things to do. Just toss them out and focus on one day at a time.

Good luck man! Do it before it's too late.

This is your lungs vs normal lungs. Sorry for the graphic picture.
smokers+lungs.jpg

I've quit a few times in the past, with the longest lasting a couple months as I recall. It's tough! For awhile, my wife and I would only smoke in the garage, which slowed down the frequency between cigarettes, then during the ice storm of 2009 we started smoking in the house again. Smoking is the only vice I have left.

I quit a few years ago, Just got fed up of spending all my hard earned beer money on cigaretttes. I used the patch, And I had awesome dreams. I stopped using the patch about two weeks after i quit smoking. I really missed smokeing and still do sometimes, I still carried a spare pack for almost a year after I quit. It was hard but doable, Just keep your stick on the ice.

I quit in 1985.

First I tried dipping, thought it was actually worse, mouth cancer would really suck.
Went back to smoking, then tried cigars, no difference.
Woke up one morning hacking and coughing for 20 minutes before I could light one up. Figured right then and there I must quit, NOW!!!!

I took up water. Every time I wanted a cigarette I drank water. Yes I got tired of water, tried it hot, warm and cold. The water served numerous purposes, gave me something to hold, something to repeat the hand to mouth action, it cleaned the nicotine out of my system faste, and Ive been smoke free fsince. I can still smeel a cigartte 2 cars away with all windows up.

The bottom line, IT is purely will power. Everything else is a crutch.

I quit for 90 days in college (a long time ago). Weighed 195 when I quit and 269, 90 days later. Went back to smoking and haven't seen less than two twenty since. On January 1, 2011, I started a diet to lose 40 lbs. On January 3, 2011, the wife had a heart attack and after 38 years I quit smoking. I am using the patch and it seems to be helping. And I'm still working on working off my 40 lbs. The need is still there, you just have to fight through it. I still feel like I need to smoke, I just refuse to. I do have more energy and more time (I spent about 2 1/2 hours a day smoking). Wetting my worm for the first time, as a non-smoker is going to be a challenge. I used to Love to fish and smoke. Go for it and don't give in.

Ken [-o< [-o<

I sure hope y'all can quit - I absolutely loathe smoking! Not the smokers, mind you, but the smoke. My best friend was a very heavy smoker, he died with lung cancer. Wife's parents both heavy smokers - same - died with heart attack for mother, lung cancer for Dad. Young too.

Two good friends, man/wife, redefined the term, "chain smoking" - man, they put the coffin nails away!! But, get this - they both quit, cold turkey!! Wow, was I surprised! They smoked HEAVY for about 25 years, but then quit! I mean they quit. If those two can quit, anybody can. He told me he ate a lot of candy during the first six months, but stuck with it - didn't give in one time, and now, they have been free for 25 years...

Hang in there man, I'm pulling for you!

I posted this in another thread, so far I've managed to stay off the nicotine.

I had my last dip of Grizzly on Nov. 17, I had been chewing for 25+ years. I used the Nicotine gum for the first month and ate everything I wanted, after that I cut back on the food and quit using the gum. So far the hardest part has been the drive to work, every day I would stop and buy two cans of Grizzly on the way. I'm sure the urge will pop back up once the boat comes out of storage in the spring and I get out on the water

I've been smoke free now, for a year and 7 months. I took chantix for about a week, and then decided once and for all I didn't need smoking, and I surely didn't need the anxious, crazy feelings I was getting from the stupid chantix. Before this time, I never quit for more than 6 months at a time. When I quit, I was 160lbs. and now I'm 210lbs.

I still get cravings that are almost unbearable at times. I throw a piece of gum in, and start thinking deeply about what I'm doing untill I forget about the craving.

My Paw Paw started when he was about 12 or 13 and at 55 was told he would be dead within a year if he did not quit. So he quit cold turkey but continued to chew his Red Man. Before he quit smoking he would have to keep a bottle of Vicks Formula 44D cough syrup by his bed. Every night he would have to take several swigs of it because of all the coughing. Never started it or the chewing or dipping myself so I really don't know how hard it would be to quit. But if I did, I think those pics that Jim posted would seriously make me think about not smoking anymore.

I'm on my second smoke-free era in my life. Two years on Mar 21.Made a plan to do it when I ran out,and stuck to it.The hardest part was the 1st 3 weeks,I had massive physical withdrawls.
The problem is that starting back up is way easier that quitting.The first time I quit in '80,was cold turkey like this time.Smoke-free for 5yrs,then one day something upset me so I asked for a cig and didn't look back for 23yrs.
I still have the urge every once in a while,but I just fight it off,remembering I 'm a whole lot better off without them.

Heard that water 8oz and tsp baking soda mixed is a way to deter smoking,never tried it but seriously wanting to quit,did two times before,once on my own and the other was due to the stae giving me a reservation to the Cinder Block Hotel,both times jus treally missed smoking,like Waterwings,its the only vise I still have,besides fishing and we all know there it no possible cure for that LOL,so I always rationalize that considering all the meesed up stuff I've done in the past smoking really is'nt all that bad.GOTTA QUIT,heck,I cant smoke at work or even on the premises,so thats 11 hours a day without(work 4-10's)and I really dont even crave it all day! Should be able to give it up for the rest of the evening,going to seriously give it shoot,the worst is the 3 day weekends being coped up in side due to the cold,wish I cuold work on my boat,go Fishing,somthing,I guess its all a mind set, Good luck to all ,need to finish this smoke so I can quit Ha HA ya right

Jim said:
I quit the day my son was born on 09/11/01. It has to be one of the hardest things to do. Just toss them out and focus on one day at a time.

Good luck man! Do it before it's too late.

This is your lungs vs normal lungs. Sorry for the graphic picture.
smokers+lungs.jpg

Jim i didn't know(if you have mentioned this before i appologize) that your son was born on 9/11/01. 8) [-o<

paDale hope you are strong enough to quit, usually it takes a scare to quit something. my dad quit on the day he went in and had chemo done on his throat from 47 years of smoking. he's been cancer free for 5 years now and smoke free too. Just don't wait to long like my dad did.

Jim is right guys, the only proven way is to make the decision to quit. Nicoderm, patch, chantix, etc just prevent you from dealing with it know. Got to convince yourself to be dine!

This is what I teach as part of our smoke cessation program.

I don't know if this will help anyone but this is my story...I started smoking when I was about 15. At 51 I was still smoking about a pack a day. I got a bad flu that was going around and it was the first that I had ever been so sick that it hurt so bad to smoke that I just didn't. After about 3 days I started thinking well I went this long I will try going another day. I had been wanting to quit for several years anyway so I just kept building on that, one day at a time. Now am I within 2 weeks of having quit for 3 years and I don't think about it very often and when I look at the current prices I am really glad I quit on top of the health benefit.

To all the guys who have also quit -- Congrats to you all....to all of you trying -- I sincerely wish you the best. Others have done it and you can too.

Hey guys, I am an Ex-smoker, had a collapsed lung and that scared the *rap out of me. I went to urologist last year and was asked how long ago I quit and I said 20 years and she said you are almost a non-smoker. 20 years guys, that stuff is bad for you. I quit cold turkey, chewed a lot of sugar free gum, still there are days that I could smoke one as big as a telephone pole. Think of your family if nothing else. Don't be a bad influence on your kids or grandkids. I was born in the days when practically smoked and it had it's affect I started sneaking around smoking at 9 or 10. As far as weight loss, it's just as hard, but simple to say. Just burn more calories each day than you eat. You don't gain 10 pounds a day so don't try losing them that way. Start by eating smaller portions, eat slower drink water with your meals, cut out the hot dogs, fried foods start some type of excersize program even if it is walking 5 or 10 minutes then making longer and longer walks. Think of all the days you would rather be fishing or hunting or spending quality time with your family as opposed to being on oxygen unable to function. Good luck to all!

My old man started really young. Grandma told the story that, when he was 8 or 9, she couldn't figure out why there were always sticks in his pockets when she washed his clothes. He finally confessed (when my kids were teen-agers) that the sticks were grapevine. When my sister's twin daughters were born (his first grandkids), the doctor told him the only way he would see them grow up was to quit the cigarettes. He left the smokes in the doctor's office and hasn't had one since. That was 26 years ago. For the first twenty years, you didn't see him anywhere without a toothpick in his mouth. He says, even now, there are times when he smells somebody else's smoke, he wants one so bad his mouth starts watering. Now he's 71 years old and can still outwork me any day of the week.

If you can't quit for yourself, do it for your family. I read the other day about a study that shows that second hand smoke can cause ear-aches in kids. I had them all the time as a youngster.

I quit 14 years ago after smoking for 30 years. I can't count the number of times I "quit" before I finally stopped. But what I found is that you have to want to do it for yourself. Until you make up your mind that it is something you just don't want to do anymore, you will still have that monkey on your back whispering in your ear to have "just one". I still get the urge from time to time in certain situations (addiction is a powerful thing), but I've never really wanted a smoke since I quit.

Do it and you will be glad you did. 8)

Latest posts