My replacement vehicle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
On January 19, a PT Cruiser turned left in front of me. I was going about 40-45MPH and couldn’t stop and collided with it. The end result was my Trailblazer was totaled and USAA determined its value at $6625.00. Once they determined the value, I had 7 days to return the rental vehicle which meant I needed to get moving and find a replacement. I needed something that could haul my ice fishing gear inside it and be able to tow my boat and ATV trailers. Having a very limited budget and time frame I ended up buying a 2003 Explorer Sport XLT with 92K miles on it for $6500.00

Side view, Passenger side is just as clean if not cleaner, didn’t have room to get a picture.
DSCN0075.jpg

Looking at the hood
DSCN0076.jpg

Front end view
DSCN0077.jpg

Back view
DSCN0081.jpg

Stickers, Gotta have stickers
DSCN0082.jpg

There are a few things that are wrong with it.

Arm rest
DSCN0073.jpg

Driver’s side step
DSCN0074.jpg

Driver’s side carpet and mat
DSCN0079.jpg

Bumper scrapes
DSCN0080.jpg

All things considered I think I got a decent deal. Dealer was asking $7900.00 for it and I got it for $6500.00.

Not bad.

I have always liked that color and wish that my truck was that color. I wish Ford would bring back the "wild strawberry" color and I might think about buying another truck. :lol:

Does it have a lean or is it just the pad that you are parked on?

nice replacement ride, the center console can be recovered fairly easily, you can remove the step bars and paint them as well. Not too sure what to do about the carpet other than find a salvage yard and get some new carpet, or a bigger floor mat. Nice ride tho.

a few cosmetic things to fix but other than that a nice solid ride. I am on my third explorer (2006 eddie bauer edition) and I love these veheicles! They handle well while towing. Enjoy it.

Nice ride, Andy! We used to own a '93 (as I recall) Ford Explorer Sport model and really liked it. We used to haul a bunch of camping gear, 3 kids, and a full-grown Collie and drive 3 hours to Mammoth Cave Park to camp. Never had a bit of trouble out of it.

In 34 years of owning vehicles, this is my first phlegm (FLM) product. No lean that I noticed, the parking lot isn't exactly level. Not too sure I'm gonna spend a lot of time worrying about the minor issues, just pointed them out that they were the biggest problems it has. Well, the cruise doesn't work, but the dealer is replacing the cruise module (part of the deal). The whole front bumper ***'y is new. Their snow plow smacked the passenger side and busted the plastic bumper/turn signal and headlight while it was sitting on their lot. Yea, new parts...

Looks like you got a good deal to me. We got my wife a 2003 explorer last year. It's an Eddie Bauer with 65,000 miles, but we paid quite a bit more than 6,500.

Hey, $6,625.00 for the TrailBlazer minus $6,500.00 for the Explorer leaves you $125.00 for floor mats, ordering a replacement cover for the console and/or feeding the bait monkey. Looks like a good ride to me.

lbursell said:
Hey, $6,625.00 for the TrailBlazer minus $6,500.00 for the Explorer leaves you $125.00 for floor mats, ordering a replacement cover for the console and/or feeding the bait monkey. Looks like a good ride to me.

$125 will also buy some fishing gear......but then again....here in Missouri, we have a nice little gift they call "sales tax". $125 won't touch the taxes on that price tag. :( #-o

I had a 2001 Explorer 2WD which made it just a big station wagon for me. Four years ago, my wife got a new job and wanted a "girlie car". I sold the Explorer and bought her a Scion TC. She said she'd always had mini-vans or grandma cars, so I decided that since she was getting a better paying job, she should get what she wants. The Explorer was nice and dependable, just wish I would have gotten 4WD. I sold my old Silverado and bought the 1996 Nissan Pathfinder. I wouldn't trade the 4WD for anything. Nice looking Explorer you have there.

Hey Popeye, really nice Explorer. I have a 2000 Explorer EB Edition and I had a 95 Explorer before that. I am trying to talk the wife into a used Expedition now but she doesn't want to get into a car payment. I have had great experiences with them. They have been great trucks with very little required maitenance. It looks like to me most of the things on yours are very minor cosmetic issues. Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy it.

TNtroller said:
nice replacement ride, the center console can be recovered fairly easily, you can remove the step bars and paint them as well. Not too sure what to do about the carpet other than find a salvage yard and get some new carpet, or a bigger floor mat. Nice ride tho.

husky liners for carpet fix!!

I'm a big SUV fan, have been ever since I was 8. Other than it being a Ford, look spretty good to me. :mrgreen:

You can buy replacement carpet from numerous sources, just google it.
As for the arm rest, hit the local salvage yard for a nused one. Should be a couple of screws to replace the top piece.
Not much you can do about the rust, you live in Chi-town where salt is spread like butter on hotcakes.

Latest posts