Need an axe, any suggestions on nice one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azekologi

Reaction score
Hey gents,

I just had some trees cut down and had the professionals leave me with all the big branches, trunks, etc. (saved $150 in dump fees) :wink:. I have a nice chainsaw that's a few years old, however, I'd like to buy a quality axe for chopping, camping, and the stuff I don't want/need to whip out the chainsaw for.

Few things first...I'm one of those guys who doesn't mind paying a little more for quality tools. For example, all my tools are Craftsman, but Mac and Snap-On are out of my budget (don't get me wrong, the Snap-On ratchet feels great in your hand, but at $75 for just the handle, I know the pain in my wallet wouldn't be wort it). So I want something good; but I'm sure that the perfectly-balanced, hair-splitting, polished silver head axe that the competition woodsmen on TV use would be out of the budget.

Anyway, I don't really know anything about axes, brands, what to look for, etc. and thought I'd ask my buddies here.

I'd say that my budget is probably around $150-200, maybe a little more if that's too low (again, have no idea what a quality axe goes for these days).

Thanks guys!

In my opinion you can't beat Snow & Neally, check their website. They make an axe for every job, and they've been doing it for a long time.

Fiskars all the way. Lightest and fastest swingers on the market, Sharper then most steak knifes. They have the best warranty of any other axe out there. Unbreakable handles to boot. I use the 36" pro splitting axe more then most and I have to say I can split 24 inch rounds with dang near no effort. And I can swing it all day with a head weight of 4 pounds. With your budget I would buy a few axes for your wood duties. A hatchet for camp and kindling needs, a chopping axe for well chopping, and a splitting axe for your fire wood needs. Keep the blade outta the dirt and away from hard stuff to keep crisp and sharp.

Man, now this is a good question! Thanks for asking! I checked out the Snow/Neally, never heard of that before, and they are about $80 or so. Wood handles... wonder how they stand up? They don't sell direct to customers, so had to find a dealer online.

Fiskars, eh? Aren't they all made in good ole China now? Whew, I try my best to buy US made/Canadian made, etc., but it is sure getting hard to find any tools or anything else not made in China. I'll have to check out Fiskars again at Lowe's, etc.

My buddy is a collector and he says "Gransfors" are the best. They are hand-made in Sweden.

I'm getting one for myself in the spring.

https://www.fine-tools.com/grans.htm

I found this site:

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=2521&title=Snow+%26+Nealley+%D2Our+Best%D3+Single+Bit+Axe

They have the S/N for $61...

Ok, Bait, now I have to check out the other axe I have never heard of....

Ok, the Gransfors boys are might proud of their stuff! Way over $100 for about anything I saw there. Looks like the American Felling Axe would be the ticket for us U.S. boys - the way we use them that is. At least, the way I use an axe - rare back and let 'er fly! At the tree, that is...

DuraCraft said:
Ok, the Gransfors boys are might proud of their stuff! Way over $100 for about anything I saw there. Looks like the American Felling Axe would be the ticket for us U.S. boys - the way we use them that is. At least, the way I use an axe - rare back and let 'er fly! At the tree, that is...

I'm getting the Gransfors Large ("Scandanavian") Forest Axe. You can pass an axe like that down to your grandkids. $129 CAD at Lee Valley Hardware - https://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=20129&cat=1,41131,43408

DuraCraft said:
Oh, thanks, Bait! That's the kind of equipment I like - can pass down to generations after me!

I just wonder how that 24" long handle will work out though? Seems a tad short.

Depends what you want to use it for. I'm going for the shorter handle because I want the axe for camping and canoe trips.

BaitCaster said:
DuraCraft said:
Oh, thanks, Bait! That's the kind of equipment I like - can pass down to generations after me!

Depends what you want to use it for. I'm going for the shorter handle because I want the axe for camping and canoe trips.

Oh, man! Now there is another thing I need! Didn't think of using one for my canoe!! Gotta get one! I'll put that one on my next gift list from me CEO... (aka, wife).

I don't have any brand recommendations, but my biggest suggestion when buying an axe is to go with a wood handle. I just bought a new axe this year after retiring one I've had since I was a kid. I bought one of these new fangled jobs that was fiberglass or composite and the darn thing broke on me after about 5 hours of splitting. I brought it back to the hardware store and they told me the problem wasn't typical and usually came from someone missing the log with the blade and striking it with the handle (which I've been known to do in my early years of splitting, but not any more). The damage was obviously inside the head of the axe itself as the inner material had splintered apart, so they hardware store replaced it (shoutout to Village Hardware in Alexandria for positive customer service). The second axe I got lasted me about another 5 hours before I encountered the same problem. I brought it back to them and they were happy to offer an exchange to a wood handled job - I only had another 30 or so hours of splitting since then, but I haven't had a problem and I'm very happy with my wooden handled job.

I split 10-12 cord a year mostly all with axe and I have tried many brands and types. I will admit that gransfors and snow&neally are great axes but for what you get they are way to spendy. Hey One100grand check out this handle, its not your normal composite one. I have had my 24" splitting model for 5 years and still just as solid as the day I bought it.

Attachments

• allaxes_lb.jpg
    allaxes_lb.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 470
DuraCraft said:
BaitCaster said:
DuraCraft said:

Oh, man! Now there is another thing I need! Didn't think of using one for my canoe!! Gotta get one! I'll put that one on my next gift list from me CEO... (aka, wife).

Of course, if you want one for the canoe, you want a Hudsons Bay style, again there's several makers. Fiskar and Granfor are real nice, I'm not running them down. I'll admit, the whole reason I'm so partial to S&N is they're what I grew up with, and made right here in Maine. The one on the left is a chopping, or felling, axe, the other two are Hudsons Bay

Attachments

• 2010_12110001.JPG
    2010_12110001.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 217
Ok, now it's settled: I need at least four (4) new axes!

1. Fiskars, made in Finland

2. Granfors

3. Snow/Neally - made in Maine! Yes.

4. And, a small one for me boat...

Whew, and before this post, I too did not know I even needed one more axe!

And, of course, if you want more info, opinions, and just plain talkin' about various types of edged tools and weapons, check out BladeForums.com for way more than any NORMAL guy could want (they prob'ly think some folks here are a little overboard, too).

Latest posts