Been away..... cruising

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Our church decided to have a parish cruise. The dates and venue were selected many months ago. My wife and I signed up many months ago.

Strange but they picked the one week this year when Houston had snow flurries and the very lowest temperatures of the year. Alas, we are back. The 80 degree temperatures in the Bahamas and Key West were left far behind. The memories remain in just a few pictures below. Glad to be back....kind of...... Rich

The BOAT--Carnival Conquest out of Galveston, TX,
2011-02-5.jpg

Oil rigs in Galveston, TX repair facility
2011-01-31.jpg

Good looking wife who married me 50 + years ago.
2011-02-03%2012.33.45.jpg

Entrance to Nassau Harbor, Bahamas
2011-02-02%2007.39.29.jpg

Yea, we are lucky here. We can drive to the dock in an hour or so. A week on a ship can be as little as $500.00 or so. Not everyone is as fortunate....as we well know. regards, Rich

Last year we did a Boston to Bermuda cruise which was nice because it was a 35 minute drive to Boston, and we were on the boat and on vacation. No flights, no drama, and with 3 kids it was perfect.

Ahab...I certainly have thought about it. But, cruising at 18 knots with two or three big props churning the water for a half mile astern probably wouldn't have brought me any bites.

This trip, we did have a balcony. I gave a thought to dropping a line directly over the side when in port....but...if I was lucky enough to catch anything...I'd have had to winch it up about 100 feet in the air.

I imagine that fishing like that is against the rules anyhow.
Rich

richg99 said:
Ahab...I certainly have thought about it. But, cruising at 18 knots with two or three big props churning the water for a half mile astern probably wouldn't have brought me any bites.

This trip, we did have a balcony. I gave a thought to dropping a line directly over the side when in port....but...if I was lucky enough to catch anything...I'd have had to winch it up about 100 feet in the air.

I imagine that fishing like that is against the rules anyhow.
Rich

Actually Rich, when we troll for Tuna, Wahoo and such we catch most of the fish right in the prop wash - the white water and disturbance actually "raises" the fish who swim up to have a look and see if it is a boat or a school of bait fish zipping along.

now 18 knts is a little fast for everything but Kings and Wayoo.

I have a buddy who is a merchant marine and they troll off the back of those big tankers and cargo ships and catch all sorts of stuff - so next time, I am just sayin. .. . .

Looks good, Rich! Man, I could use some of that Florida warmth now. We were in Spain last May for work, and took our first cruise. Barcelona, Italy, France, etc. It was nice, but I was surprised at how dead the Mediterranean is compared to our waters. I guess it being a small sea, surrounded by all those fishermen there for since beginning of time has taken its toll on the crits in that sea... All we saw were a few dolphin/porpoises.

Latest posts