Any REAL progress being made 2 stop the Asian Carp Advance..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
into the great lakes? I live in Michigan & I've been concerned about this very serious threat for a long time now.
Anybody have any relevant updates?
Thanks in advance.

Those things are horrible on the Missouri River. I was batting about .900 for having them jump in my boat last year. I kill them every chance I get but it does not help.

In Illinois they are trying to turn them into cash by selling them to the asian market.

Im trying so hard to not be political... But spending the millions they are on research for a chemical that will only kill the carp seems dumb. Why not spend the same money on a $1.00 bounty for each fish caught, killed, checked in, and disposed of. The carp problem would be gone and it would help the local economy at the same time....but...what do the people who pay their wage possibly know. :roll:

perchin said:
Im trying so hard to not be political... But spending the millions they are on research for a chemical that will only kill the carp seems dumb. Why not spend the same money on a $1.00 bounty for each fish caught, killed, checked in, and disposed of. The carp problem would be gone and it would help the local economy at the same time....but...what do the people who pay their wage possibly know. :roll:

AMEN BROTHER! :beer:
My buddy came up with a GREAT idea. Since these aquatic pests are attracted & react to noise from motors & water-skis etc.. Why not run barges down the river systems with big nets running along the sides (an inch or 2 below the surface) & emit a low vibration "hum" that causes the carp to jump at the barge/noise & land into the nets? Then sell the **** things to cat food companies or back to the orient to help pay for the fuel & wages of operating the barges. Sounds like a viable plan to me. Leave it up to individual ingenuity (not inept government agencies & all their stinking bloated red tape BS) to come up with a workable plan.

BloodStone said:
Leave it up to individual ingenuity (not inept government agencies & all their stinking bloated red tape BS) to come up with a workable plan.[/b]

Easy now fella's. I'm a fish and wildlife biologist working for a government agency and I've got to say the $1.00 per fish bounty is about as inept of management plan as I've heard yet :LOL2:

perchin said:

Yep, I agree too. Alternatively, fish them commercially and export to Asian markets where they like to eat these kind ofo fish.

Easy now fella's. I'm a fish and wildlife biologist working for a government agency and I've got to say the $1.00 per fish bounty is about as inept of management plan as I've heard yet :LOL2:

Sorry nothing personal to you & your line of work. I was talking the state, local & federal governments as a whole. Anyway, what about my buddy's idea with barge? How does one go about submitting individual ideas to the proper agency where it might actually be listened to & considered?

BloodStone said:

Sorry nothing personal to you & your line of work. I was talking the state, local & federal governments as a whole. Anyway, what about my buddy's idea with barge? How does one go about submitting individual ideas to the proper agency where it might actually be listened to & considered?

It wouldn't be any harder than Michigan's DNR doing deer-checking :roll:

As far as submitting an idea... the one I mentioned above was already submitted with 100,000 signatures and volunteer's to do check-ins.
The problem lays in the fact that it wasn't thier idea, so its automatically moot. :roll:

Sorry nothing personal to you & your line of work. I was talking the state, local & federal governments as a whole. Anyway, what about my buddy's idea with barge? How does one go about submitting individual ideas to the proper agency where it might actually be listened to & considered?[/quote]

No worries, hear it all the time, so easy to blame the govt for everything. Truth is, as with most aquatic invasive species, that they are the product of private industry putting profits over the thought of a natural ecosystem for all of us to enjoy. This is all off of the top of my head, so please correct this if I've mispoken, the asian carp were brought over to the U.S. as a means to clean up catfish ponds (wholesale catish, not fishing) in Arkansas (please double check me on the state). When a flood event occured, the carp when over the levee and into our beloved MS and its tributaries. It was either late last year or early this year that a federal judge stopped the closure at the Great Lakes, gotta keep commerce open. That is what I see as the most critical issue at this point, keep them out of the Great Lakes. As to complete erradication from the waterways of the U.S., I'd say that's a long shot, but with anything else, as soon as there is a financial benefit to it, business will come around. We are starting to see some of this already, several New Orleans establishments are trying to market the carp as table fare, other company's are looking into using the carp as fish food, which would be an enourmous benefit to the North Atlantic, whose fish stock has been annihilated just to make food for farm rasied salmon. Let me look into a place for public comment, try checking the federal registry. I'm a plant biologist, so please remember that when you slam me for bad data #-o, just filling in on what I think I know.

On a different note on the asian carp topic, they are nasty, nasty, nasty. I've done more research on the MS river than I care too and these things are everywhere, always a nice thump on the bottom of the boat if you're lucky, if not it's in the boat!

Ictalurus... Please explain why the Great Lakes Counsil, and 100,00 other people whom were willing to volunteer their time didn't see thier plan as inept?

It would be a whole lot faster solution than the millions being spent on research that is taking so long. By the time they are done researching it, it will be all but to late so why not use the good ol' KISS method? :| The Kiss is not directed at you Ictalurus.

K EEP
I T
S IMPLE
S TUPID

perchin said:
Ictalurus... Please explain why the Great Lakes Counsil, and 100,00 other people whom were willing to volunteer their time didn't see thier plan as inept?

Perchin, I'm not familiar with the plan you bring up. I do know that the carp not only live up near the entrance to the great lakes, but also in the entire MS valley. So, I would guess that by having locals running around in their boats, in a waterway mainly used now for commercial transport, trying to catch individual fish for $1.00 per head would lead to putting about a 0% decrease in the carp population. I'm also not familiar with the species specific targeting "they" are working on, but having a species specific genetic target seems to make much more sense in the long run to eliminate the threat on a widespread basis.

Ictalurus said:
perchin said:

Perchin, I'm not familiar with the plan you bring up. I do know that the carp not only live up near the entrance to the great lakes, but also in the entire MS valley. So, I would guess that by having locals running around in their boats, in a waterway mainly used now for commercial transport, trying to catch individual fish for $1.00 per head would lead to putting about a 0% decrease in the carp population. I'm also not familiar with the species specific targeting "they" are working on, but having a species specific genetic target seems to make much more sense in the long run to eliminate the threat on a widespread basis.

I agree with your points for the long run... unfortunatlly were not talking about them being invasive in the next 20 years :wink:

Latest posts