Need to Express my Anger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
So last april I bought a basstender 10.6 (with a trailer). I took my Mercury Mariner truck to Uhual for them to install a hitch and a wiring harness. $300 later I was ready to hit the water. Yesterday I go to unlock my car and I notice the taillights do not work. I took the truck to the shop believing that its was weird for a 2 year old truck to need taillight replacement. They told me that Uhual did not install the wiring harness correctly leaving a loose wire that got wet causing a short. So the shop bypassed the wiring harness and charged me $200. In addition Uhual will not do anything because the warrenty is over. So now it will cost me $100 for new wiring and $200 from the shop. I couldn't be more annoyed.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Have a lawyer send them a letter.
+1
Get a statement from the body shop doing the work stating that the initial work was done incorrectly and caused the problems, then hire a lawyer. You should be able to sue them and get your initial costs, legal fees, and additional work fees paid for as well as compensation for your time in dealing with this matter.

one100grand said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
+1
Get a statement from the body shop doing the work stating that the initial work was done incorrectly and caused the problems, then hire a lawyer. You should be able to sue them and get your initial costs, legal fees, and additional work fees paid for as well as compensation for your time in dealing with this matter.

I'm NOT the suing type, but I believe this would work. That, or I'll let you borrow my temper. It's not fun, but it usually works. #-o :mrgreen:

Welcome to the club. Last year I took my car to UHaul to have it wired for towing my boat. After driving it home I saw that the tail lights on the trailer seemed dimmer than they should be and sometimes flickered. I checked everything and all seemed in order until I lifted the mat in the trunk and saw that the ground wire was just lying on the metal in the trunk and was not screwed down. It was an easy fix for me and not worth the time and effort to take it back to UHaul but suffice it to say the corporate office got a nasty letter and I'll never use them again.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Yep, cost me 25 bucks to send a letter from a attorney to my THEN insurance company, called and fought them for almost a month and then called a attorney and he reccomended a letter and well, when he sent it, the insurance company was calling me 8)

they don't want legal fees and issues, i'd try it =D>

one100grand said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
+1

Yeah try that. Hope it works.

*update. So i called uhual and they said that the best they could do is charge me $60 and they would install a new harness with out any labor cost. I also called the shop and spoke to the main guy up there that I know and he said he could ajust the price of the charge and that 5 hours to find the problem is un realistic. I will be calling the 1-800 number at uhual and speak to someone of highter athority and see if they can fix my problem for free and maybe pay part of the bill from the shop (although that seems very unlikely). If Uhual dosen't make good on the problem I might persue a lawyer. But for now just take it one step at a time #-o

Deadmeat said:
Welcome to the club. Last year I took my car to UHaul to have it wired for towing my boat. After driving it home I saw that the tail lights on the trailer seemed dimmer than they should be and sometimes flickered. I checked everything and all seemed in order until I lifted the mat in the trunk and saw that the ground wire was just lying on the metal in the trunk and was not screwed down. It was an easy fix for me and not worth the time and effort to take it back to UHaul but suffice it to say the corporate office got a nasty letter and I'll never use them again.

Um..... So I am not the first. The main reason I went with uhual is because I got a qoute of $500-550 for a hitch and wiring on my truck. I was happy when uhual said 250-300 so I went with them not knowing what to expect. That was the same problem with my wiring also, a loose wire was shorted because of water intrusion.

This is an example of why it's a good idea to do small mechanical stuff yourself.

The wire adapter is probably $30 or less, and you can find a hitch for around $100 for almost any vehicle with some shopping.

For $130, and an afternoon you could have avoided the headache and saved some money.
FWIW most hitches, and their instructions are engineered for a pretty easy install. That's how the shops that install them are able to bang out so many of them a week.

LonLB said:
This is an example of why it's a good idea to do small mechanical stuff yourself.

The wire adapter is probably $30 or less, and you can find a hitch for around $100 for almost any vehicle with some shopping.

For $130, and an afternoon you could have avoided the headache and saved some money.
FWIW most hitches, and their instructions are engineered for a pretty easy install. That's how the shops that install them are able to bang out so many of them a week.

I figured that it would be better if they did it because they had to run a wire from the wiring harness through the car and to the fuse in the hood. I didn't want to even begin to try on that one. Plus when i sell the truck I could take the hitch off and sell it on craigslist to make a few bucks (paid 150 for the hitch, still looks brand new).

Why did they have to run a wire to the fuse? litemate builds an adapter for about every newer car made, unplug, replug done. I had a hitch put on my minivan and specifically told the yahoo to use a lite mate. after i had time and was working on something else i notice they spliced every wire with cheap arse connectors i was not happy.

Bugpac said:
Why did they have to run a wire to the fuse? litemate builds an adapter for about every newer car made, unplug, replug done.

X2... the hitch kits even come with drill templates, so no measuring.

Bugpac said:
Why did they have to run a wire to the fuse? litemate builds an adapter for about every newer car made, unplug, replug done. I had a hitch put on my minivan and specifically told the yahoo to use a lite mate. after i had time and was working on something else i notice they spliced every wire with cheap arse connectors i was not happy.

Did you use Uhual? I have no idea as to why they wired it to the fuse.

Waterwings said:
Wow, that does suck, and I'd be ticked-off also. Hope you get it resolved soon.

Thank you. Tomorrow I will be recieving a call from the main headquaters. hopefully they have someone who can fix this problem.

The thing that annoyes me the most is that on the phone the guy said "did you take out the 2 year warrenty for an extra 10 dollars." I didnt and this was not offered to me when they did this. I usally dont go for the extra warrenty because it will break the day after the extended warrenty is over but for ten dollars I most certainly would have gone for it.

Latest posts