You're Doing It Wrong!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why I'm glad I don't have a trailer! Unloading my tin from the back of the truck makes it much easier to prevent getting confused like this guy.

Helps having an ultra light alum boat to just slide off and into the water... another mark up for our tinboats!

Even doing it right can end up bad. I put in at Rend Lake a couple years back after the COE had dropped the water almost a foot. My Ozark tri-hull was heavy and so I had to get the bottom of my bumper in the water before the boat would float off. I decide to stop fast and give it a bump off. Well I slid another 3 feet on the slimy ramp and had the back tire halfway under. I got it stopped and another boater helped pull me out. My old Silverado was only 2 WD and I doubt I could have gotten back up the ramp alone. It scared me so bad I won't use anything that isn't 4WD or at least FWD. I still remember how big my wife's eyes got when she was standing on the dock holding the rope to the boat. Then again, I bet mine were pretty big then too.

Oldgeek said:
Even doing it right can end up bad. I put in at Rend Lake a couple years back after the COE had dropped the water almost a foot. My Ozark tri-hull was heavy and so I had to get the bottom of my bumper in the water before the boat would float off. I decide to stop fast and give it a bump off. Well I slid another 3 feet on the slimy ramp and had the back tire halfway under. I got it stopped and another boater helped pull me out. My old Silverado was only 2 WD and I doubt I could have gotten back up the ramp alone. It scared me so bad I won't use anything that isn't 4WD or at least FWD. I still remember how big my wife's eyes got when she was standing on the dock holding the rope to the boat. Then again, I bet mine were pretty big then too.

I gave my boat a bump like that once too....but instead of the truck sliding, it stopped....the boat went flying off the trailer and pulled the guy holding the rope right in with it! Glad he didn't let go. I might have had to get wet too. :mrgreen:

fender66 said:
I gave my boat a bump like that once too....but instead of the truck sliding, it stopped....the boat went flying off the trailer and pulled the guy holding the rope right in with it! Glad he didn't let go. I might have had to get wet too. :mrgreen:
:LMFAO:

bcbouy said:
i saw a guy back in without undoing his tiedown straps once. =D>

That must have been Bill Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cc6koI0fDo

I myself in my neophyte days of boating forgot to undo the winch strap and safety chain...buddy couldn't figure out why boat wasn't coming off, kept backing in till truck is in the water. At that point soft bottom, and a bit of work to get out

Tom

I was fishing with my father a few years ago at rough river state park when this bowrider came crusing into the same bay we were in. After a few minutes the ladys on the boat decided to run in gun to the next wine drinking spot, Fired up the boat and opens it up to what seemed like wide open. Not out of the norm right, Well it was struggling to get moving. So I turn to look at it thinking they must be dragging anchor or something, I noticed something on the bow so I pointed it out to my father. Well he didn't see it but the full throttle assault with very little speed got his interest up. We pull trolling motor up, bungie the rods down and head that way. We fired up and made a short run over towards them, We got about 100 foot from their boat when at about the same time my father and I both spotted the trailer under the boat. :shock: I kid you not, The trailer was still attached to the boat! I can imagine it was pretty easy to launch that way but could you imagine how hard to get it out would be. As far as ramp fails go, The last place I worked the plant foreman found out I fished alot and asked if he could tag along on a trip. I kissing tail said yes. The whole trip down there and while fishing he kept telling me about all these boating and fising storys and what not. At the end of the day he was trying to help speed up loading and hearing about all his boat experince he had I was willing to let him help out. So he hooks up the winch and pulls the boat up to the stop. At least I guess he did, I wasn't watching. [-X I heared the winch stop clicking and he motioned me to pull up, so well I did. As I pull away I see in the rearview the boat sliding off the trailer. #-o It wouldn't have been so bad but it was my fathers triton tr21, So I was flipping out like mike iaconelli.

Latest posts