Hit a Deer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcritch

Reaction score
For the first time ever, I hit a Deer. 3:30 this afternoon, doing about 45mph. The first Doe bolted right out in front of me. I hit the brakes pretty hard because I knew there were going to be more :lol: The next two came out just as fast, I hit the 3rd deer out with the front of my truck. It was a small yearling, I sent it down the street sliding on its back right into the ditch on the side of the road. :shock: I kind of rolled through it and kept going. I got to where I was going a mile or so down the road and then checked my truck. [-o< NO Damage =D> Only a little hair under the front bumper. On my way back home I checked the side of the road for the Deer and she was gone. She must of got up and headed into the woods. I'm so glad I don't have to take my truck to the body shop tomorrow. I must be getting old and my reflexes must be slowing down. I could always avoid Deer in the past. :LOL2:

Thats the reason I got rid of the Tacoma. When I wood see one in the road I would floor it. The Tacoma made more noise that it had oomph. :LOL2:

Glad there was no damage to you and your truck.

You got lucky, and I'm glad you did. I've seen a lot of damage to vehicles and deer around here. Happy you, and your truck came out in good shape.

Glad to hear you and the truck are ok but had to laugh when I read he was gone on the way back so he must of headed back off into the woods. Down here the first reaction in that situation would be 'Dang! Some one else must of got em' :lol:

Not to take away from the OP, but i have been there myself plenty.

Originally from South Dakota, hitting deer was typical from Sept. to March.
I started driving at age 14, until I left there at 22, and in those 8 years I had hit several deer. Most of the time my reaction allowed me to just clip them or bump them without major vehicle damage... except one time the roads were pure ice covered in wet snow so it was NASTY. I was only able to safely do around 20 mph in 4 wheel drive without completely losing control. Several deer jumped out and I knew I could not swerve, slam on my brakes or anything. I just kept going, watched the "deer on ice capades" in front of me as they even had trouble staying on their feet on the icy road, and sure enough number 3 couldn't move out of the way fast enough. I hit a 200lb+ buck, had to have at least 6-7 tines on each side, but because the situation it was just slow motion, and more like bumper cars. I just bumped him square on, and he just spun around a few times, enough to bump him towards the ditch and for him to get his footing. Even then it broke a chunk off the plastic grill but nothing serious enough to warrant paying money for any repairs.
If I had hit him closer to the normal speed limit (55), my truck would have been a couple feet shorter with venison cooking on the engine.

I used to try to hit them and never even got close.. then a few years ago I collected one a year for 3 years running when I didn't want to. They can get expensive in a hurry. #-o

Glad it came out fine for ya 8)

I hit one last year going 50 and killed her on the spot, she flew 70ft, totalled my font end of my truck, never fixed it just drive it( its just an old truck) now it looks like a drunk driver vehicle :roll:

Hitting deer does one thing, turns whatever you drive into either a Dodge or Ram :mrgreen:

I have hit two myself. Actually only hit one and the the other one hit me. Both were while I was driving tractor trailers. The first one was a buck standing beside the road at 1:00AM in the morning. I saw him and slowed down while I hit the high beams. I moved over to the left lane and just as I was almost to him he jumped out in front of me. It did no damage to the truck. The company I was working for told me that I did everything wrong. They told me that if I left my lights alone and stayed in my lane while keeping my speed the same I would have driven right by him and he would not have moved. How they know that I have no idea.

The second one was a doe running parallel to the road in which I was traveling so I implemented the policy that the first company told me to do. As I was coming alongside her she turned into the side of my trailer and the trailer tandems made minced meat of her. Still had no damage to the truck.

Now on another note, I hit an owl out in Idaho one night and it broke out the right front headlight and cracked the fiberglass fender on the hood of the Freightliner I was driving. Go figure.

Glad you and your truck are alright. I had a big doe come out in front of me this last August and it did a real number on my suv.

KMixson said:
They told me that if I left my lights alone and stayed in my lane while keeping my speed the same I would have driven right by him and he would not have moved. How they know that I have no idea.

That is it exactly. A change of pace, quick change of lights, swift movement scares them into jumping/running, many times right into traffic. Just keep the lane, don't mess with brights, and do not blow the horn. The less out of the ordinary your actions are, the more likely they will jump out. they are used to vehicles just driving by, they are not used to quick movement, changing lights and lanes all in a short timeframe.

Sometimes they come darting out of the woods, you have no choice, but for the ones just grazing at the side of the road, just drive normal as if he is not there, that is the best course of action.

BassAddict said:
Glad to hear you and the truck are ok but had to laugh when I read he was gone on the way back so he must of headed back off into the woods. Down here the first reaction in that situation would be 'Dang! Some one else must of got em' :lol:

Up here in good ole NJ we pay companies to pickup the dead Deer along the roads :roll: And we call you guys in the South backwards :LOL2:

bcritch said:
BassAddict said:

Up here in good ole NJ we pay companies to pickup the dead Deer along the roads :roll: And we call you guys in the South backwards :LOL2:
Well... they do eat the possum road-kill down there too. :roll:

Latest posts