site suggestion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Jim,

I have a site suggestion, well really more of a complaint lol. I love this site and EVERYTHING about it, with the exception of one thing....

PICTURE SIZING. you cant post a pic no wider than 800 pixels. It makes it a real hassle when i have quite a few pics i wanna post up here and I have to go in each pic on photobucket and resize them just so I can post to TB. PLEASE RECOSIDER changing that!

Dixie, a real quick and easy way for me to resize pics is in paint. Open your pic in paint, hit CTRL+W and resize to 20% or so and save. Upload pic and go.

do a google search for fast image re-sizer. Super fast and easy. You open up "my pictures", then you open up the "fast image resizer" and drag them over to it. You can set the size you want in it. I was in the same boat as you thinking it was a hassle till I found this.

Here ya go.

https://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/

Oh I know all of these, but that's not the problem. I post these pics to other sites at full size, and it makes it a hassle just to resize for one site. it would make sense just the change the limit. I don't really know why its imposed..lol. I know I'm one person and its kind of silly to change a rule for one person, BUT I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like it.

Sometimes I wont/don't post pics because of the limitation. When I post pics, I just upload straight from the camera or device to Photobucket. Then make a thread and copy and paste it to multiple forums. So easy, no resizing or anything. All I'm saying is its a hassle to add in the extra step of resizing and asking Jim to reconsider. Also when you get to see fullsize pictures, you can see detail and stuff easier.

I dont know about on this forum software, but I know on vbulliten, some sites im on will rezise your pic for you, BUT when you click on the picture, it goes to fullsize. When you hover over a pic, it says its been rezised.

Thanks for the help though guys

I imposed the limit for a couple of reasons. I hate scrolling left and right to see the whole picture, and I hate having to wait for a 10+mp picture to download before I/we can see it. Lots of members are still on slow connections.

I know there is a way in photobucket to automatically resize the picture for the "web". You still upload your full size images, but photobucket resizes it in the background just to link them to a site/forum/blog. I can research it for you a little later today.

I gotta agree with jim here, I have a few forums that I visit who have no image size restrictions and for this reason they are almost painful to visit. Dixie you also might just want to change settings on your camera for it to take smaller photos, not sure if this is an option for you or not but it seams like the easiest solution to me.

I wonder if the forum admins could add the phpBB code variables such as:

2b79a3e3.jpg

This photo is normally 2048 x 1536 and would reduce it to 800 wide. I have seen this used elsewhere so I would think it could be added to this server as well.

Another option that I have seen is the automatic resizer that alters the size of all photos posted to the site to the 800wide limit, whether posted from external sources, or on this server.

Personally if I reach a place that does have these limits, I go into photobucket and change the size, then "Save a copy", which keeps the original at full size (aabbcc.jpg) and the copy (found with aabbcc-1.jpg for the name) for forums. Unfortunately because there is no real standard across all forums, it is trial and error finding what does and does not work.

what about just changing it from 800 to 1024. that fits on almost all screens.just a suggestion. not trying to be difficult, just making suggestions.

Quackrstackr said:
Photobucket resizes mine automatically when I upload them.

There is an option you choose to either automatically resize, or leave original size. I keep mine original size, and if I want to share it I resize it down to 800x600 and post it that way.

just join photobucket it's free and resizes them for you

I know that on my site I have to limit the size of pictures to save a little money. I get X amount of space on the server if i go over i have to pay.
Well I have to talk to my host company and then he increases my storage space lol

just bite the bullet do the work join photo bucket and be done with it.

Trust me, the photo resizer I linked above adds about 3 seconds per posting of a picture.....Maybe 5. Way faster than photobucket.

And when you resize it, you keep a copy of your original, at the original size.

Unfortunately there is no single percentage that will work on all photos.

The ones from my cell phone start out at 1280x960, the ones from my digital camera come through at 2048 x 1536, newer cameras will come through typically twice that, so 20% of 1280x960 is only 256x192, VERY small. Yet the higher end 12MP cameras goes from 4000x3000 (or higher) down to a reasonable forum size of 800x600 if the same 20% is used.

Thats why I like photobucket, you can choose to resize to 800x600 regardless of what the starting size is.

heman said:
you can also try Irfanview.com its free and works great.. also has a watermarking feature

I prefer the free program GIMP, although irfanview is easier to use for non-technical types.

Just my view as a web designer....even with a code to automatically scale the images ....uploading the original full size images chews up a lot site bandwidth which costs money.

Uploading a 800X600 image is probably around 50 to 100 kilobytes compared to a full size image that would be about 3 MB's (+3000kb's)

robr3004 said:
Just my view as a web designer....even with a code to automatically scale the images ....uploading the original full size images chews up a lot site bandwidth which costs money.

Uploading a 800X600 image is probably around 50 to 100 kilobytes compared to a full size image that would be about 3 MB's (+3000kb's)

Small is ok, I surf on my phone a lot and it helps that the images aren't too big.

Latest posts