Guntersville, AL - Looking for a Guide

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robr3004

Reaction score
Heading down to Chattanooga in the 2nd week of March and was thinking about heading down to lake Guntersville for some weekend fishing. Anyone know of any good guides or some that lives there locally want to take me out fishing?

G-ville is an awesome lake. If I'm lucky, I get over there twice a year. The worst part for me is the cost of an out of state fishing license. Last I checked a 7 day license is $26. But... for the opportunity to have practically everything you catch be 4lbs plus I'm willing to pay it.

Both my step brother's fish there a lot so I've never needed to rely on a guide, but I'll PM you a couple guides they said would treat you good.

I grew up 20 minutes from the ramp, so never needed a guide. I can recommend a great place to eat some good ole southern cookin' tho: Top O' River Catfish & Seafood Restaurant Its awesome, and youll have to-go plates for days. Check it out, most plates are less than $15, and theres no way you can eat it all.

I hear all these stories about every bass in that lake being over 4lbs, but trust me, its no Dream Lake. You have to work hard to catch fish there just like anywhere else. There is a common misconception that the bass there just practically jump in the boat and bite anything, but its tough, especially in these months. Prepare for windy fishing in around 60 degree weather, and pray you get a good week of decent weather before you go. The water temps need to get above 50 degrees before things turn on, and we've had a cold winter. You should be hitting it just about right though during that timeframe.

Gunterville is a great lake, the best public lake other than Okeechobee IMO, and with a little reseach and a good guide, you should be successful. Is there anyway you can delay your trip about a month?

I dont know if youre interested but Gunterville produces some 40+ pound stripers and 100+ pound catfish... I know there are guides for that.. just a thought

Good luck, have fun, and post pics!!! and try the greens at top of the river
:)

robr3004, Try looking at this site https://www.wmi.org/bassfish/reports/index.html for results and you'll get a good idea of who is showing what they are catching and get some idea's for guides.

I am going this Thursday to visit family (all my family is from around there), they live on top of the mountain before you get into Guntersville. We have been all over the lake and I love going there for fishing and recreation. I have never used a guide, but the website I list may give you some good idea's.

If I hear of anyone special while I'm there I'll reply back.

Doug

Thanks for the info everyone......I wish I could delay my trip, but it's for work and the date it firm. I don't expect every fish to be over four pounds, any lake in the south is pretty much guaranteed to be better then the NJ lakes I fish. I've fished Lake Fork in Texas for a week and almost every fish was at least 3 pounds and that lake puts out some monsters so I don't expect anything more then that.

As for the weather....I hope it turns out to be nice.