What does the future hold?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
My wife and I just had a conversation about the future. She's been working on a program at Marymount University in Arlington, VA for the past couple of years and working on a program that's designated as a 5-year bachelor's/masters program. She's been thinking about leaving the masters portion for some time, but hasn't had a great idea on direction. We talked for quite some time about the possibility of her changing schools and even trying to get into Georgetown (I guess the boat project might be put on hold...). As of right now, the plan is for her to look into possible summer and fall courses to take at George Washington and to try and look into transferring to Georgetown. I just wanted some prayer for guidance for her to figure out what she wants to do with her life.

Not having gone the college/mba route i can not offer any guidance. I have seen first hand the slow, very difficult process of working full time, juggling a family, and taking 1-2 courses at night per semester with a coupe of people. They both were tired and hated it, but in the very end they said they would do it again.

The universal question to ask, is an MBA worth it? Some say yes, some say no.

Good luck to both of you whatever you decide.

I will offer a prayer and tell her to stay at GW (good A10 school :D ). I was not overall impressed with Georgetown's programs a compared with some other so call top end Universities.

Good Karma/thoughts out to BOTH of you. It is hard on the person in the relationship not in school too. I know from my wife supporting me to go to school while I worked full time. There were times when she had to do all the work around the house because I had to study and work on assignments and times when we were stuck at the house all weekend when we would have liked ot go somewhere (lots of times). She never complained and always offered words of encouragment too. It certainly builds strong bonds. Good luck to both of you and whatever decisions you make.

What God leads us to.....God leads us through. I firmly believe this. Prayers sent for guidance and peace on your journeys.

fender got it! Great quote. All I can say, is we have been through this!! Wife got doctorate, me a master's many years ago. Doctorate was unbelievable amount of work!! Yes, they deserve to be called doctor! I say do it while you are young. And, both of you must be very patient! Get 'er done...

Quackrstackr said:
fender66 said:
What God leads us to.....God leads us through.

I like this... and plan to plagiarize it in the future. :LOL2:

It's free for everyone. Plagiarize away! I'm certain it's not mine anyway as I've said it for years but don't remember where it came from. Someone much wiser than me I'm sure. :mrgreen:

I would tell her to stick with it. It seems harder to get back into it after taking time off. She will have an enormous sense of pride and accomplishment when she finishes.

+1 on what DuraCraft and BassGeek said. I worked full time + (~45 hours/week) while in graduate (Well, we called it Gradual School) school to get my Master's so it took me four years instead of the usual two. The Ph.D. was even worse but my sainted wife never complained. And, yes, it really does bring you closer together. Overall, it was a tough go but rewarding at the end.

Deadmeat said:
+1 on what DuraCraft and BassGeek said. I worked full time + (~45 hours/week) while in graduate (Well, we called it Gradual School) school to get my Master's so it took me four years instead of the usual two. The Ph.D. was even worse but my sainted wife never complained. And, yes, it really does bring you closer together. Overall, it was a tough go but rewarding at the end.

So we should be calling you Dr. Deadmeat? Hmmmm....kind of has a ring to it. :LOL2:

fender66 said:
What God leads us to.....God leads us through. I firmly believe this. Prayers sent for guidance and peace on your journeys.

I agree with what fender said and will be praying for ya'll too.

Thanks everyone for the positivity, I really appreciate it. It's been a trying time lately for me, but I realize that it's important to be there for her and be supportive. I'm worried about the financial situation, but I'm not going to tell her that's the case because it will make her pull back from what she truly wants to do. I'm going out today to talk to a friend about getting a second job to hopefully preempt any expense considerations.

Updating this subject, I've been working 2 jobs since February to save as much as possible and hopefully put myself in a better situation when it comes time to pay tuition for whichever school she attends. She's also applied to an internship that's with the Siemens Corp & Penn Medicine, which I really hope she gets [-o< . If she gets that internship and does well with it, it's likely going to result in admittance to Penn and a scholarship covering a large chunk (or hopefully all) of tuition in exchange for working at Siemens after finishing her masters program. I put in my resignation at the window company I've been working at for the past 5 years in hopes that my new job with mortgage lending pans out. I'm kind of scared of the idea of leaving a steady income in the dream of making a career in lending, but at the same time, I'm excited for the possibilities. More than anything, I'm happy that I'm going to be getting back to having a day off during the week :LOL2: so I can go fishing. We were able to get out this past weekend and it was a great experience, I haven't been able to spend as much time with her as I've wanted to and it was great spending the day together. Please send any good vibes that you can to getting this Penn/Siemens internship.

I greatly appreciate all of the support of the forums and hope that I can spend a little more time here this summer!

Latest posts