Lucky as all get out but stupid as sin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Stupid me. Not only did I leave my trolling motor plugged in during this past winter, I stupidly forgot to disconnect the leads at the battery like I normally do. Somehow, someway, the wires at the plug overheated and burnt. Not sure if the pedal went to hell (switch was in the off position) or some rodent came in and gnawed on the wire a little. Anyhow, looks like I need at least a new cable to the plug if not a new pedal or even worse, a new motor. I will have to replace the carpet on the front deck and inspect all the wiring back to the battery. There was still power at the socket, so I disconnected the trolling motor wires at the battery until I inspect everything.

Firedamagereduced.jpg

Wow! Sorry to hear that. It is amazing how something as simple as leaving a plug in can cause issues when left unattended for long periods of time. I hope it works out for you!

*runs to check his trolling motor plug*

Just get a replacement cable and don't try to splice it... you'll lose more power that way.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago - but the cat was still in the same position (with this horrible look on it's face) when it took a bite of the wires so I knew who the culprit was

Taking the whole thing to werk with me tonight and gonna tear it apart to see if there is any more damage. I'll swing by the marine store tomorrow and get a new plug/cable ***'y if there is nothing else wrong with it. Maybe time for a 24VD TM. That would make a bigger fire huh?

Strange it burn't where it did,normally I would think the outlet/plug would go.
Maybe there was a nick/break in the wire,glad things didn't get to bad.

Zum said:
Strange it burn't where it did,normally I would think the outlet/plug would go.
Maybe there was a nick/break in the wire,glad things didn't get to bad.

That's why I'm thinking maybe tree rat (Squirrel).

Good news is that after separating the melted wires, I connected the motor to a battery and it still works. This must have been a long process to reach the point it did. There was a plastic tarp about 8-10 inches above the damaged area and it never melted or even showed any signs of overheating.

From the green on the wires I would fathom (that is a nautical term) a guess that your wire was compromised and moisture got in causing the initial short - which then melted the insulation (not a nautical term) causing the continued melting.

In the future you may want to limit your means of propulsion to paddle or sail - much safer for someone like you

Also, please remember to always wear your helmet

spongebob-squarepants-helmet-3.jpg

Of course the fire could have been a while ago and the green is oxidation after the fact due to the dampness from snow. The carpet is damp in there (which means I won't be using the silver woven tarps any more either)

Thanks for the helmet tip. I do however, like the one you are modeling below more.

helmet.jpg

Wow you did get real lucky...

Sorry for any cat lovers here but...

"but the cat was still in the same position (with this horrible look on it's face) when it took a bite of the wires so I knew who the culprit was"...

Now thats funny..... :lol:

Outdoorsman

BPS had a 24VDC MG 75/45 trolling motor on sale during their Spring Classic sale. Picked it up for $439. Added a Marinco plug set and ran new 6ga wires to the battery compartment and installed a new battery tray for the second TM battery as well as 50A circuit breaker. Picked up my new deep cycle batteries today and when the weather gets just a tad warmer, will install those.

Latest posts