What is the ulimate commuter car?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crankworm

Reaction score
It looks like I will be getting a job transfer that will require me to start commuting 75 miles each way to work. I really don't want to destroy my Liberty with the miles and am looking at buying a CHEAP used econobox I can put 25,000 miles per year on and not care. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking maybe a '90s honda civic or toyota trecel

might consider a 2.0L mazda 3 5sp, should be a good commuter car that would get 30+ mpg easy in decent comfort, and has good handling suspension as well. I have a 05 mazda 3 HB 5 sp, and i get 30+ mpg every tank (33+ in the summer no ac running) as the ac is a weak point on the 3's. other than the ac, a good econo box to run.

Looks for a late 90s or 2000s diesel VW Jetta car. Many of them see 40+ mpg and over 50 hwy.

Don't know what the ultimate commuter car is, but my gas saver is a stock 1993 Honda Civic Si (5spd) with 190k. I get 31-34 mpg with 80% being highway driving. Not bad for an 18 yr old beater. It may be difficult to find a decent 90's civic that hasn't been molested with aftermarket mods.

image.php

Crankworm said:
It looks like I will be getting a job transfer that will require me to start commuting 75 miles each way to work. I really don't want to destroy my Liberty with the miles and am looking at buying a CHEAP used econobox I can put 25,000 miles per year on and not care. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking maybe a '90s honda civic or toyota trecel

45 MPG alll day roomy inside

Many easy mods and customizations you can do just like our tin boats

fun to drive

have seen many over 300k and 400k with original clutches trannys

Too much to brag about i could write 200 threads on them lol

check this for ideas of what color ahah https://festivamadness.com/Pictures.html

Nothing will beat the Ford Festiva Extremely durable, reliable the easiest to work on all parts are very affordable especially if you get familiar on https://WWW.Ford Festiva.COM forum!! (Take a look around the forum )

This is mine before some suspension and wheels

SANY0230.jpg

and after
photo-102.jpg

and one i got for 400$ super clean

SANY0214.jpg

just recently got one for 75$!!!

photo-112.jpg

Just some extra info the ford festiva is actually an all mazda platform sold in europe as the mazda 121 or the Kia Pride

they have non interference motors

theres an easy turbo swap that you can do with results of a low 14 high 13 sec 1/4 mile and still have 35MPG

True story:
Back in the 90's I was a car salesman, I worked a lot of that time at a Ford dealership in Bellevue, WA. I sold a brand new Festiva to a guy who traded in a beautiful 2 yr old Cadillac Coupe De Ville. I had to ask "why?"
It seems that he had driven a Festiva for a few years and then decided the time was right to move up to a nicer car so he bought the Caddy. He drove the Caddy for about 6 months and decided he didn't like it as much as the Festiva he owned before.

C.U. Fishin said:
True story:
Back in the 90's I was a car salesman, I worked a lot of that time at a Ford dealership in Bellevue, WA. I sold a brand new Festiva to a guy who traded in a beautiful 2 yr old Cadillac Coupe De Ville. I had to ask "why?"
It seems that he had driven a Festiva for a few years and then decided the time was right to move up to a nicer car so he bought the Caddy. He drove the Caddy for about 6 months and decided he didn't like it as much as the Festiva he owned before.

I have no trouble believing that !!!

skimsucka you must be as crazy as I am, it looks like I may end up rockin a Festiva. A buddy of mine has one that needs brakes and the headlights don't work but he's willing to let it go for $150 just to get it out of his driveway. Is the engine a mazda B series? I've got a little experince with them in the miata I've had a 1.8 and the older 1.6 Is there any problems I sould look for before I buy it, not sure of the year or mileage only that it looks like the blue one you posted a picture of.

Screwball I wish I could afford a TDI but they are fetching a huge premium up here in MI. My Jeep Liberty is a 2.8L CRD (Common Rail Diesel) I average 28mpg in the summer and have seen as good as 34mpg. I can drive 70 towing my Lund which sticks way up over the top of the Jeep and still get 21mpg

Crankworm said:
skimsucka you must be as crazy as I am, it looks like I may end up rockin a Festiva. A buddy of mine has one that needs brakes and the headlights don't work but he's willing to let it go for $150 just to get it out of his driveway. Is the engine a mazda B series? I've got a little experince with them in the miata I've had a 1.8 and the older 1.6 Is there any problems I sould look for before I buy it, not sure of the year or mileage only that it looks like the blue one you posted a picture of.

Screwball I wish I could afford a TDI but they are fetching a huge premium up here in MI. My Jeep Liberty is a 2.8L CRD (Common Rail Diesel) I average 28mpg in the summer and have seen as good as 34mpg. I can drive 70 towing my Lund which sticks way up over the top of the Jeep and still get 21mpg

WOW yes you should buy it 88-89 were carboreted (89 autos were efi but stay away from there all weird) and 90-93 fuel injected definately get a fuel injected if you can but carb cars are nice if there runnning fine upon sale . YES mazda B series i actually have a 1.8 sohc in my black car double WHP super fun lol . If you dont buy that car please allow me to get his info to put on festiva forum someone will come save it! Brakes and a headlights is like 150$ GIVE or take ... you wont be dissapointed lol

I know its a manual trans. the only thing I wonder is he said neither headlight works but taillights and turn signals do so I'm wondering if it is just a bad relay? I'm sure its nothing major and nothing that will stop me from rolling in tiny car pimpness. Maybe I could duct tape two maglights on the hood and use my fuel savings on batteries :D

Latest posts