Tracking you on the Internet via pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornbread

Reaction score
Tracking you on the Internet via pictures

Be careful what you post. A word to the wise should be sufficient.

https://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7621105

"You can bet I'll not be posting any pictures of my honey holes."

I am thinkin my honey would be real upset if I posted any pictures of her holes.... :LOL2: :lol:

Thanks for the heads up...

Outdoorsman.

This is fairly common. In most cases it is just a matter of turning off the "geotagging" option for photos or disabling the GPS until you need it for directions.

Thanks cornbread. Yeah I heard the onstar equipped vehicles could be disabled and they can listen to your conversations also. May be true or false. I see these guys posting pics of all their guns or hot cars or boat. I guess all this hi-tech stuff just makes it great for hi-tech bad guys?

Don't be a slave to technology. Use it to offset itself. 8)

For this issue, the best way is to use the freeware program Exifer, https://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/. It edits Exif info without harming the picture (recompressing it), and it *CAN* remove Exif info...in the program just click on the picture (after you are in the right directory), click on the Exif menu and then "Remove"...that's all that's needed to delete the Exif info (including the Exif thumbnail) from a picture.

Waterwings said:
I've heard, but not tried it, that if you use PhotoShop and click on "Save for Web" after processing a photo, that it will strip the Exif data.
True. But Photoshop costs money. :wink:

raven174us said:
Makes me think of the movie Eagle Eye. I'm glad I have a crappy phone.

Now, raven, that's what I want! A crappie phone, one that will help me locate them crappies! :lol:

Back to the topic - this is really no problem at all - you just need to turn off the location services on the cell phone camera. Usually under settings on the phone. Also, in order to be tracked, you MUST post the photo online - which I never do anyway, except here and a couple of other forums I am on. Okay, so some one check to see if you can find our locations by the photos we have posted on TinBoats... If that can be found, we have no more secret fishing spots boys!!

DocWatson said:
Don't be a slave to technology. Use it to offset itself. 8)

For this issue, the best way is to use the freeware program Exifer.
Dr. Watson, Exifer is a nice little program, but unfortunately, it's not supported any more. I prefer to use this exif remover before posting family pictures anywhere on the Internet. The good it lets to get rid of sensitive information, and leave other valuable data -- such as date & time -- intact.

Latest posts